Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace or Newcastle - If we could only beat one of them, who would you choose?

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Don't try that with me.

Serious question, why would we have bragging rights when they have already won at the Amex?

Right here we go then. When we play palace,our deadly rivals, and they beat us that gives them 'bragging rights' until we play them again. When we play next week and if we win then that gives us bragging rights. Unless they win then they can lord it over us until the next time we meet. Hope this explains.

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne
But as I said to Simster, ignoring the rivalry aspect and taking the Palace game as 'just' a League game it's one of 46. 46! No one can win them all and every team that gets promoted loses a few games. And IF we lose to Palace (heaven forbid) and ultimately we miss out on the play-offs by one or three points no one can say it was down to losing that or any other single game. If we hadn't conceded that last-minute equaliser against Blackpool, got what we deserved against West Ham and kept 11 players against Burnley we'd be eight points better off already!

I dunno, maybe it's my age but I see the league games as the humdrum, workaday, bog-standard stuff. It's the Cup matches where the excitement is. Out of my seven all-time favourite Albion matches only one of them (Newcastle away in 1979) is a league game. The others are all Cup ones.

I see your point...it's a long season yadda yadda yadda but we need to keep up pressure and another win now will give player confidence to go forwards :)

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I see your point...it's a long season yadda yadda yadda but we need to keep up pressure and another win now will give player confidence to go forwards :)
Oh I certainly agree with you there!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
newcastle personally. i think we should be looking to go as far as we can in the FA Cup and this is another chance to see a decent team like Liverpool. And not counting chickens yet, but a lot of premier sides have been drawn against each other so our chances of progressing are that much more enhanced. ( so long as we avoid Stoke of course)

Palace is just another championship game, yes with added spice as usual, but still only worth 3 points!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Taken as a currency a single league game is not as valuable as a single FA Cup game.
I don't think that's the case with our current team though. We seem to go on long winning and long losing streaks and I think defeat to Palace would knock us back a long way. Defeat to Newcastle wouldn't be the same as it would be expected.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I don't think that's the case with our current team though. We seem to go on long winning and long losing streaks and I think defeat to Palace would knock us back a long way. Defeat to Newcastle wouldn't be the same as it would be expected.
But that's just a feeling you've got, on the other hand we might lose to Palace and then win our next three games. Regardless though my point still stands, every one of the 46 league games is worth three points and every FA Cup defeat means you're knocked out.

However you do have a point, and the other side to your coin is that victory over Newcastle would give us confidence. This is definitely what happened in 76/77 when the club, as now, was on an upward trajectory. The Cup victories over West Brom and Ipswich and the two games against Derby (all old old 1st division clubs) gave everybody a massive lift as we began to realise how good the team was. Beating Newcastle will be a far better preparation for Palace than going about it half-arsed and losing.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Your club dont do cup runs, You were knocked out of the CC in the very first round, we were Pens from the final and you mock us? :lolol:

That's the second time I've seen a Palace fan write that on NSC, when it's completely false. I don't get it - they reached the semi-finals, and won at the Amex, why on earth do they feel they have to resort to making up things to laugh at us for? Do they just like looking stupid?

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
About as sensible a question.

Wow! I didn't realise you could someone else's post, I don't think its a completely stupid question! if we beat Newcastle and for example drew Man Utd in the next round and it was televised, it could be worth a million which could go into the transfer budget for next season, that could be the difference between signing a Will Buckley or a Billy Paynter. I would choose a win over Palace but if we beat Newcastle and lost to Palace it would soften the blow. In a perfect world we would beat both!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
They better NOT be half arsed Tuesday. Not at ALL.
I'm sure they won't be. My concern is that they could be half-arsed on Saturday (regardless of who we were playing on Tuesday) as the Cup 'doesn't matter'. Again I'm sure they won't be. And I really believe if we win on Saturday then we'll win on Tuesday and it isn't a 'trade off'. Beat Newcastle, and then with the momentum and feelgood factor that will have generated we'll STEAMROLLER Palace! We've already proved that tiredness isn't a factor by winning away at Peterborough after the extra time and penalties (to say nothing of the 24 hour postponement) at Wrexham.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here