Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace or Newcastle - If we could only beat one of them, who would you choose?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Sorry, I can accept people wanting to beat Palace rather than Newcastle because of the rivalry, but leaving that aside how on earth are three points 'more important' than progressing in the FA Cup?
Because there are NINE clubs, separated by just FIVE points, all chasing just THREE play off places.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
But Palace isn't 'three points', something even Gus failed to grasp first time round. He knows now. It's the same the world over, some matches are more important than others and there is a lot more at stake than points.

BRAGGING RIGHTS for a start.

Lets be honest the toon are not on ANYONES radar. We could lose 6-0 and itll be forgotten in days.

A loss to Palace LASTS a lifetime.

Thats just he way it IS.

Thats WHY its more important.

Brovian I want to win both games. I hope Gus plays his strongest side. The poor flowers will just have to put a f***ing SHIFT in on Tuesday.

BUT if we are 3-0 down after 20 mins I would want to see Buckley, CMS and Bridcutt taken off to spare them for Tuesday.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Because there are NINE clubs, separated by just FIVE points, all chasing just THREE play off places.

And THIS.

Its still not beyond the realms of possiblity to get into the playoffs at this stage.

Look at Reading, weeks ago they were down the bottom, now they are sitting pretty and looking a good bet.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
But Palace isn't 'three points', something even Gus failed to grasp first time round. He knows now. It's the same the world over, some matches are more important than others and there is a lot more at stake than points.
Yes, I accept that. However Randsta said the 'more important' three points. That implies (and I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong) that even if we were playing someone like Coventry it would be 'more important' than the Newcastle match.

Which leads me to ...

But you can lose a league game and still get promoted, or win one and still get relegated. Lose a Cup game and that's it, over.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Brovian I want to win both games. I hope Gus plays his strongest side. The poor flowers will just have to put a f***ing SHIFT in on Tuesday.

BUT if we are 3-0 down after 20 mins I would want to see Buckley, CMS and Bridcutt taken off to spare them for Tuesday.
Yeah, in those circumstances I'd agree with you!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Brovian said:
But you can lose a league game and still get promoted, or win one and still get relegated. Lose a Cup game and that's it, over.
You don't know how important each point is until the end of the season, so you have to assume they are ALL important.

Win a cup game, and you're through to the next round. So only FOUR more progressively more difficult rounds to go then.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You don't know how important each point is until the end of the season, so you have to assume they are ALL important. .
Well yes, but you have to accept that over the course of the season, 46 games or whatever, you're not going to win them all. In the past we've both sneered at posters on here who talk about 'must win' games in August. Taken as a currency a single league game is not as valuable as a single FA Cup game.

Win a cup game, and you're through to the next round. So only FOUR more progressively more difficult rounds to go then.
Yes. And DON'T say it can't be done. 2nd tier clubs have done it before.

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne
Sorry, I can accept people wanting to beat Palace rather than Newcastle because of the rivalry, but leaving that aside how on earth are three points 'more important' than progressing in the FA Cup?

Promotion / play offs should be the aim not the FA cup simple! get promoted and we will have shit loads of $$$$$$$ and be in the premier league.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Draw with Toon, beat Palace, then beat the Toon at the sportsdirect@stjamespark stadium or whatever it's called now

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Beating Palarse all day long is the correct answer.

Last time we won at Palarse when we scored I turned to the wife and declared that I would even take getting relegated (I was gonna wright going down, but thought better of it !) if we hang on and win.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Losing to palace twice in one season would be unbearable would'nt it ?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Silly question

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I refuse to trade one off against he other I want to win both. The Palace game has a resonance that goes beyond the paltry three points on offer, it is WAY more important than that. That said I don't want to see us take the Toon lightly either, we have to go at both games full throttle.

If forced to choose, Palace is the correct answer.

Last edited:

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Beating Newcastle would I think, be a better result than beating Palace.

and give us a much better idea of the quality of the side.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Promotion / play offs should be the aim not the FA cup simple! get promoted and we will have shit loads of $$$$$$$ and be in the premier league.
But as I said to Simster, ignoring the rivalry aspect and taking the Palace game as 'just' a League game it's one of 46. 46! No one can win them all and every team that gets promoted loses a few games. And IF we lose to Palace (heaven forbid) and ultimately we miss out on the play-offs by one or three points no one can say it was down to losing that or any other single game. If we hadn't conceded that last-minute equaliser against Blackpool, got what we deserved against West Ham and kept 11 players against Burnley we'd be eight points better off already!

I dunno, maybe it's my age but I see the league games as the humdrum, workaday, bog-standard stuff. It's the Cup matches where the excitement is. Out of my seven all-time favourite Albion matches only one of them (Newcastle away in 1979) is a league game. The others are all Cup ones.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Gotta be Palar$e

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here