Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

It's actually quite an interesting read.
Lots of comments about not having the personnel to play the way Viera wants to.
Surely it's up to Viera to coach the players to play the way he wants them to?

I don't know enough about Viera to comment, but it highlights what an amazing job Potter did switching the style of play so quickly.
We moved from ultra-defensive, to possession based relatively seamlessly.

Playing out from the back takes a while to get used to though.
The difference in how comfortable on the ball our players are over the time Potter has been coaching is noticeable.
There were a fair few howlers in the first season. Fortunately Potter persevered and the players trusted him enough to keep the faith and develop their skills.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I don't know enough about Viera to comment, but it highlights what an amazing job Potter did switching the style of play so quickly.
We moved from ultra-defensive, to possession based relatively seamlessly.

Playing out from the back takes a while to get used to though.
The difference in how comfortable on the ball our players are over the time Potter has been coaching is noticeable.
There were a fair few howlers in the first season. Fortunately Potter persevered and the players trusted him enough to keep the faith and develop their skills.

I felt since Poyet our players have been comfortable on the ball. That was also the case under Hughton. Potter has taken it to a new level but the players have mostly always been comfortable.

As importantly, the home crowd also got used to watching the team play possession footballs. There is still occasional sharp intakes of breath and cries of “get rid” but under Poyet we learned how to appreciate it.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

I felt since Poyet our players have been comfortable on the ball. That was also the case under Hughton. Potter has taken it to a new level but the players have mostly always been comfortable.

As importantly, the home crowd also got used to watching the team play possession footballs. There is still occasional sharp intakes of breath and cries of “get rid” but under Poyet we learned how to appreciate it.

Yeah maybe it is a bigger step up for Palace than it was for us.
Let's hope so.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I've seen mention that Wilf's game is significantly less effective this season.

Genuine question for any Palace fans lurking on this thread.

Is this the case?
If so, do they think this is a form issue? Or does the new system not suit him? Or something else?

bhadiv1

Apr 28, 2009
Saltdean
Don't forget Palace have one big advantage over us; namely, the transfer window is still open, and they are confident that none of their remaining players are wanted by other clubs.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Don't forget Palace have one big advantage over us; namely, the transfer window is still open, and they are confident that none of their remaining players are wanted by other clubs.

Man City still have that Kane £150M jingling round in their pockets...

wilfriedzaha280220abc.jpg

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
It's actually quite an interesting read.
Lots of comments about not having the personnel to play the way Viera wants to.
Surely it's up to Viera to coach the players to play the way he wants them to?

I agree with that, and would like to cite the example of Adam El-Abd. I don't think anyone would have had him down as being a key part of side that played possession football, him being the head-it, boot-it (ball or player) sort, yet under Poyet's coaching he gained the confidence to play that way. By far and away the most remarkable transformation of a players game I have ever seen.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I've seen mention that Wilf's game is significantly less effective this season.

Genuine question for any Palace fans lurking on this thread.

Is this the case?
If so, do they think this is a form issue? Or does the new system not suit him? Or something else?
Looks like he's peaked !!

Aparantly he's lost his pace, and he gets really frustrated every game when he can't beat defenders .... Which pretty much makes him mediocre now.

Happy days

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Looks like he's peaked !!

Aparantly he's lost his pace, and he gets really frustrated every game when he can't beat defenders .... Which pretty much makes him mediocre now.

Happy days

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

It seems unlikely that he would have lost his pace over the summer, doesn't it?

My feeling is that either he is disinterested, or that moving to a slow and deliberate build up play doesn't suit his strengths.
Whatever the reason, a season of an underperforming Wilf , would be joyous indeed.

seaford

Feb 8, 2007
That thread on the Palace forum is an interesting read.

Their comments do appear to be more in line with our thoughts than that [MENTION=42405]Milo[/MENTION] clown.

I would also agree that most of our players were more comfortable playing a possession based game under Poyet, he introduced a new style with in the relative obscurity of the 3rd tier, whereas Paddy has to do this within the glare of the Premier League headlights, where every decision and tactical change/decisions are analysed by both opposition teams and pundits. And those better organised teams will exploit any observed flaws.

It was interesting to read that their new best thing, the left-back Mitchell, was also considered as "not comfortable" playing a possession based style of football.

Zaha is a real conundrum to me (begins with a c at least), as I would have thought that a possession based game does not play to his strengths. As a counter attacking winger/forward he can be devastating, but in a more structured build-up, that is lost when teams have time to set and organise their shape to counter his threat. I think this goes for Ayew too, but to a lesser degree.

They are missing Olise and Eze, granted, but, they are both young, one with no PL experience and one with 1 season of experience in the PL. Both will take time to get up to speed I would think.

From a neutral perspective it is a very "interesting" project to look at.

From a BHA supporter perspective, I hope it fails miserably and they get relegated with less points than Derby did.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I clearly remember the **** ups made by our defenders when pressed when GP took over from CH, it’s a tough change of philosophy and it will be a miracle if Palace are not rooted around the relegation zone as they try to adapt, I can’t see Prince Charming holding his nerve beyond the end of September if they continue to lose

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I clearly remember the **** ups made by our defenders when pressed when GP took over from CH, it’s a tough change of philosophy and it will be a miracle if Palace are not rooted around the relegation zone as they try to adapt, I can’t see Prince Charming holding his nerve beyond the end of September if they continue to lose

To be honest, I don't think he will have much choice but to stick with Paddy.

The new shareholder, brought in some money, but after 3 signings, they are already looking in the bargain bin to complete their transfer business.
Seems like there was a very finite level of investment from him.

After two seasons of massive losses and no sugar daddy, they are unlikely to be able to throw money away, on paying off a manager and getting Fat Sam in.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
To be honest, I don't think he will have much choice but to stick with Paddy.

The new shareholder, brought in some money, but after 3 signings, they are already looking in the bargain bin to complete their transfer business.
Seems like there was a very finite level of investment from him.

After two seasons of massive losses and no sugar daddy, they are unlikely to be able to throw money away, on paying off a manager and getting Fat Sam in.

When was throwing money they don’t have at things a Palace problem?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here