Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
My eyes deceived me then... You can use all the stats in the world. One team played football, the other didn't. We were miles ahead of them on the football front.

Just to confirm the stats do confirm that we battered them.
apart from the last one.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Going back to the original thread title and not silly arguments about whether palace are in London, crowd sizes and long gone chairmen spunking too much money.

In the last few seasons my biggest fear was a club turning into a Stoke or Coventry of old with old players just doing enough to stay up year in year out and decent young player sold to pay the wages of the ready bought premier player.

The premier league for all but 4 clubs is quite boring if your honest, so to see a young manager bought in and young players from lower leagues and a few from the academy playing in the first team is for me getting my mojo in a good place.

It may work it may not, but it’s a different turn from the last 3 or so seasons, if we go down we go down, I’ll still go the same as before , and as a life time fan those 3 seasons in the 3rd tier in the 70s and watching a young team being built where some of my favourite memories.

So my biggest fear at the moment is not being able to watch them live because of this bloody pandemic, but I am sure you have that as a biggest fear as well.

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
So you're basically saying, half our team is too young and the other half is too old right? What a load a rubbish! We now look to have a good mixture of youth and experience and we've shifted the high earning dead wood like PVA, Dann, Hennessey, Sakho and Townsend to free up vast wages. We've also been prudent in our transfer fees spending in recent seasons so now we can have a bit of a splurge and rebuild the team. You're saying we are relegation material but I feel with the current players we have we would survive and your completely forgetting there will probably be 4-5 more signings coming in. Maybe you should judge us after deadline day?

We have decent flair players at the club like Eze, Olise, Zaha and Schlupp and I'd expect 1 more flair signing at least to come in, maybe Ademola Lookman. With the shackles of Roy released, we could be in for a very exciting and successful season. Roy did a great job in keeping us safe each year but the football was boring and limited, there was no ambition. Our fans all knew we had the players that could do more going forward and I'm convinced Viera will make us more easy on the eye and score more goals. Yes, it could also be a tough transition but feel I we have enough quality to stay up at worst then build on it next year.

Your team on the other hand really isn't anywhere near as good as you think it is. It's like your not even considering the possibility of relegation and sounds like you think Europe could be on the cards, this despite your side coming 16th last season! You proved last year that you lacked quality at times as you played the bottom 4 home and away and you lost 2, drew 6 and won 0.

You've lost one of your best defenders and signed a player from the Austrian League. I'd say you're weaker than last year and couple in with the 3 teams coming up who all are looking fairly strong, I think you could be in trouble especially with how poor you look in attack. A front 3 of Welbeck, Trossard and Maupay is pretty damn poor. Bissoma in midfield is class, i'll give you that but lose him and then you're looking like relegation material and it sounds like Arsenal and City are interested. Don't try amd make out you have able replacements ready to step in, Alzate, Molder, Caicedio etc just aren't ready yet or good enough. To be fair though, I will judge you after deadline day as I asked that of you about us.

Do you write speeches for Donald Trump?

So the 3-4 young players you've signed with minimal to zero PL experience will fire Palace up the table, this despite 2 of them being injured!? But the numerous young Brighton players won't? This despite many of them being full internationals, have PL experience including Alzate who scored the winner at Liverpool, Moder who scored against England and Caicedo who is considered one of the best up and coming young South American talents.

You're calling Townsend deadwood yet would have loved to have kept him and he's now signed for a far bigger and better club than Palace.

Literally all you've done so far is get rid of a shedload of regular starters and replace them with what? 2 inexperienced kids with zero PL experience one whom is injured.
You're basing your entire argument on 'probably' signing 4-5 more players and ifs buts and maybe. Last season is irrelevant to both teams now since we will both have vastly different team's yet you still feel it necessary to use last seasons results as some sort of guide to how you will fare this season.

Open your eyes, your team is smaller and weaker, far weaker than it has ever been for a long time.

White is and never was our best defender and we have more than adequate cover and replacement for him if he goes.

You belittle our signing of Mwepu but you can only dream of signing a player of his quality.

As you love last season so much and by way of comparison here are the stats:

Welbeck, Trossard, Maupay 19 goals 8 assists from 92 appearances
Zaha, Benteke, Eze 25 goals 9 assists from 94 appearances. Not a lot in it over the course of a whole season so I guess your guys are just as poor as ours.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Going back to the original thread title and not silly arguments about whether palace are in London, crowd sizes and long gone chairmen spunking too much money.

In the last few seasons my biggest fear was a club turning into a Stoke or Coventry of old with old players just doing enough to stay up year in year out and decent young player sold to pay the wages of the ready bought premier player.

The premier league for all but 4 clubs is quite boring if your honest, so to see a young manager bought in and young players from lower leagues and a few from the academy playing in the first team is for me getting my mojo in a good place.

It may work it may not, but it’s a different turn from the last 3 or so seasons, if we go down we go down, I’ll still go the same as before , and as a life time fan those 3 seasons in the 3rd tier in the 70s and watching a young team being built where some of my favourite memories.

So my biggest fear at the moment is not being able to watch them live because of this bloody pandemic, but I am sure you have that as a biggest fear as well.

This!

We have been fortunate in watching an evolving squad getting gradually better and better, over the past decade or so and a chairman, who has a clear vision and knows how to achieve it.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Good comments and really understand your want of watching your team and the possible change of style and approach. Palace have been a product of their managers of recent years, Big Sam, Holloway, Warnock, Pardew and Roy, all standard managers with a reputation of boring football, but survival. We had Houghton, who was similar and we changed to Potter and we achieved improved performances and slightly better off league position. The big difference was we had very much the same players, with a few additions and you can never really predict how things are going to map out. With due respect to Milo, he is just hoping that these inexperienced championship players are going to be a success, they may be, as we are with buying an Austrian league international with Champions league Games behind him.

Bottom line is, no one knows where both teams will be this year, think most of the football world would say we are in a much
Better position than Palace based on your lack of players and the change of management and potential style, although there are murmurs of Viera plays a very rigid style and not easy on the eye. Let's wait and see and let Milo dream as he might be right, although the facts are against his views as the betting sites think Palace are one of the favourites to go down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Zaha, Benteke, Eze 25 goals 9 assists from 94 appearances. Not a lot in it over the course of a whole season so I guess your guys are just as poor as ours.

If you're going for a stat attack, at least go for one that proves you're point.

That's 7 goals better than us!
7 goals! What we wouldn't have given for 7 ****ing goals last season.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
If you're going for a stat attack, at least go for one that proves you're point.

That's 7 goals better than us!
7 goals! What we wouldn't have given for 7 ****ing goals last season.

We would ave scored those 7 goals in the other 2 appearances... We did stick 3 past City after all

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We would ave scored those 7 goals in the other 2 appearances... We did stick 3 past City after all

10 man City on the verge of the Champions League Final.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
This!

We have been fortunate in watching an evolving squad getting gradually better and better, over the past decade or so and a chairman, who has a clear vision and knows how to achieve it.

Loz is a Palace fan (and probably the only decent one on here), they are talking about what might happen to Palace this season, not us.

Milo

Banned
Jul 9, 2021
Do you write speeches for Donald Trump?

So the 3-4 young players you've signed with minimal to zero PL experience will fire Palace up the table, this despite 2 of them being injured!? But the numerous young Brighton players won't? This despite many of them being full internationals, have PL experience including Alzate who scored the winner at Liverpool, Moder who scored against England and Caicedo who is considered one of the best up and coming young South American talents.

You're calling Townsend deadwood yet would have loved to have kept him and he's now signed for a far bigger and better club than Palace.

Literally all you've done so far is get rid of a shedload of regular starters and replace them with what? 2 inexperienced kids with zero PL experience one whom is injured.
You're basing your entire argument on 'probably' signing 4-5 more players and ifs buts and maybe. Last season is irrelevant to both teams now since we will both have vastly different team's yet you still feel it necessary to use last seasons results as some sort of guide to how you will fare this season.

Open your eyes, your team is smaller and weaker, far weaker than it has ever been for a long time.

White is and never was our best defender and we have more than adequate cover and replacement for him if he goes.

You belittle our signing of Mwepu but you can only dream of signing a player of his quality.

Considering Olise is Townsend's replacement and Guehi is Dann's replacement then yes, i feel we have upgraded.

And no I didn't want to keep Townsend!! He was poor at the end of his time here, Everton has a good crosser of the ball, that's it. He will be a bench/squad player for them, mark my words.

So what if Alzate scored at Anfield? And Moder vs England? Does that make them good players suddenly then? They are raw and totally unproven.

We will sign another 4-5 players, it's nailed on. The money is there. We are weaker now, we won't be in 3-4 weeks time.

Mwepu is not a player I dream about having for Palace. He played in a poor league and the step up is huge. You dream of players like Zaha and Eze though, lets be honest here.

In regards to your last point, about the front 3's, we scored 7 more goals than you, that's a far amount.

boik

Considering Olise is Townsend's replacement and Guehi is Dann's replacement then yes, i feel we have upgraded.

And no I didn't want to keep Townsend!! He was poor at the end of his time here, Everton has a good crosser of the ball, that's it. He will be a bench/squad player for them, mark my words.

So what if Alzate scored at Anfield? And Moder vs England? Does that make them good players suddenly then? They are raw and totally unproven.

We will sign another 4-5 players, it's nailed on. The money is there. We are weaker now, we won't be in 3-4 weeks time.

Mwepu is not a player I dream about having for Palace. He played in a poor league and the step up is huge. You dream of players like Zaha and Eze though, lets be honest here.

In regards to your last point, about the front 3's, we scored 7 more goals than you, that's a far amount.

Dream of Eze?? You're the one that's dreaming. I watch a bit of Palace due to my best friend being a fan - I like to know what I'm talking about when we're sparring. Eze has potential, but is no way the finished article and drifts out of games. He's like Trossard , can be great, can be frustrating.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Loz is a Palace fan (and probably the only decent one on here), they are talking about what might happen to Palace this season, not us.

Yeah I know.

I was going to add something about the fact they should have started the change earlier, but I know he is a good guy, so didn't want it to sound like point scoring.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003

Olise and Guehi are totally unproven at this level. Moder and Alzate are full internationals, who have played in the PL and proved they belong there, both cost considerably less than Guehi did too. We look for value in our signings and don't just throw £20 million at Chelsea for one of their academy prospects.

Mwepu comes from a club with a huge success rate of developing players and seeing them go on to have success elsewhere. Will it happen for Mwepu, we don't know, but given that the club we bought him have such a track record for spotting talent we have every right to be excited about his signing.

As for Townsend, if he's a decent crosser of the ball then I imagine him linking up with Dominic Calvet-Lewin next season could be a great partnership for Everton, considering how good DCL is in the air. Townsend has been slagging Palace off massively these past few months, i imagine he'll be more than up for those two games next season.

Last edited:

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton

Olise and Guehi are replacements and upgrades on 2 established experienced PL players despite never having played in the PL? Yet Alzate, a full Columbian international who has 34 PL appearances and proven ability at this level and Moder 12 PL apps and another full International with 12 caps are both raw and unproven??! With that claim alone you have shown yourself to be utterly delusional. Olise and Guehi are the raw unproven players any reasonable person can see that quite clearly, even most Palace fans.

Still it's 'nailed on' you will sign 4-5 more players. You do.realise the season starts in a couple of weeks don't you?

Anyway it's pointless arguing with someone as blinkered as you so I'm done. I wish you nothing but failure and bad luck for the coming season, I hope Viera proves to be an absolute train wreck of a manager and he loses the dressing room and is sacked by Xmas or sooner. I hope Zaha throws his toys out of his pram yet again after failing to get the move he so desperately wants and sulks and can't be arsed to put any effort in, I trust the Always Ultras will give us another season to ridicule and mock them and I hope a sinkhole opens and swallows the shithole that is Selhurst Park into the ground and then bursts into flames.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I can't be bothered to wade through all this shite... but this, however likely of turning out this way, does it for me! :laugh:

Attachments

• ed2378e695e6dd15d4cfebb15b172d8a.jpg
    ed2378e695e6dd15d4cfebb15b172d8a.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 125

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
As for Townsend, if he's a decent crosser of the ball then I imagine him linking up with Dominic Calvet-Lewin next season could be a great partnership for Everton, considering how good DCL is in the air. Townsend has been slagging Palace off massively these past few months, i imagine he'll be more than up for those two games next season.

I haven’t seen that, I’ve seen comments of not having contact with the club, regarding a new contract, but that’s hardly slagging the club off for the last few months.
He wrote a lovely farewell message to all at Palace, and he appreciated all their support over the years.
Not the type of message you would expect from a angry, pissed off player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here