Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Not looked on there in donkeys years and don’t intend to. Horrible place and very homophobic etc etc who can’t hold conversations.

Tea spat.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Tea spat.

palace-fan-006.jpg

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Mr Tumble speaking out about not taking the knee, have to say I agree with him.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes it suits their agenda to call us plastic (because we are far better supported and have far more modern facilities), but here are a few FACTS:

1) The 3 seasons before promotion, Palace averaged 15,500, 15,000 and 17,500. Suddenly, they sold out their 25,000 ground. That's an increase of 30%+ overnight. Our gates went from 25-27k to 30k - nothing like the same level of plastic Premier league fanbase then. Confirmed.

2) Talking of fair-weather fans, nobody does this like Palace. 51,000 saw them gain promotion to division 1 in 1979, but literally 5 years later in the same division (one promotion, one relegation) and the gate for local-ish Wimbledon at home was 4,025. Noddy tin-pot twats.

3) They also like to talk about us being two-club fans. I have to say, I don't know any myself but there we go. I DO know that the bloke that Cantona booted 3 rows back for saying "it's an early bath for you Eric" has since gone on record as actually being a Fulham fan. And one of those embarrassing ultra ring-leaders "used to" support Spurs.

Says it all. Joke outfit that nobody in London cares about.

:clap2:Re point 1, much of that increase was away teams taking up their full allocation - instead of maybe 200 Reading rattling around the South, a lot of PL clubs took up the full 3000. Our 25-27k included loads of empty seats in the away end.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
They hate us cos they ain't us :laugh:

They know we've spent a good decade in their shadow, I haven't liked that but it's true in terms of league status and position. However, we, and they, can feel we are both very much at that tipping point. Palace will easily stay up this season, but they'll know that without their good start this could've been a battle and a position they shouldn't have found themselves in. That said it doesn't look good for next season given the injuries, squad, contract status etc. Fast forward two years and the gap will be huge and Brighton will dominate.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Does anyone have the list of out of contract players at Palace? Be interested to know how which ones are gradually downing tools as there contract runs down..

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
They know we've spent a good decade in their shadow, I haven't liked that but it's true in terms of league status and position. However, we, and they, can feel we are both very much at that tipping point. Palace will easily stay up this season, but they'll know that without their good start this could've been a battle and a position they shouldn't have found themselves in. That said it doesn't look good for next season given the injuries, squad, contract status etc. Fast forward two years and the gap will be huge and Brighton will dominate.

We have been saying this for years, time to step up to the plate

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Had a good laugh at that thread where the bitter jealousy was shining through.

It is to be expected though, I remember speaking to a Palace fan (who worked outside my college) about 14 years ago (bloody hell!) and he used to say that we would never fill our new stadium, that kind of rubbish. I think he truly believed that as well, as a lot of them would have. I knew we had the fans waiting, we took 30,000 to Cardiff. It must be hard for them to realise they were so, so wrong all along and that it turns out that they are not the big boy in our rivalry.

Back to the thread, one of them mentioned how middle class we all are :ffsparr: I think we have a lot of well off working class fans these days, but there really aren’t many middle class fans that go to the games. It’s a bogeyman they’ve made in their head’s because our area is so much better than theirs.

They say we’re not a football town. The crowds prove otherwise. As was said before, they didn’t get great crowds in The Championship, they only did once they got promoted, surely that’s the definition of plastic, if there was one? I’m sure most the fans that started going in the Premier League weren’t plastic and probably went to some Championship games, but you can bet your bottom dollar that most of our fans would’ve have gone a lot more regularly than their’s when in The Championship.

One their own said that their crowds were shit when they finished 3rd, even though they had about a million people living in the area.

When it comes to crowds, when we’ve both been in the same league, we’ve had the bigger ones more often than not.

The Withdean argument is weak too (and it’s made by fans of other clubs). Some of them say ‘Fair play to the ones that went to Withdean’, well how do they know that most of fans at The Amex didn’t go to Withdean? Just because they didn’t go to every game, every season it doesn’t mean they aren’t real fans. Look at our away crowds while we were there, they were far more indicative of the size of our fanbase. Withdean could be so crap that even the away fans of other clubs barely turned up, the average in it’s final season was 333! So, if watching your team in an athletics track without a roof for 12 seasons is the requirement for being a REAL fan, then no other fan of any other club cuts it.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
We have been saying this for years, time to step up to the plate

Agreed, I'd say the main difference now is the majority really believe this is happening and will continue for some time!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Not until we find a goal scorer, but if we do then we will be out of sight.

Football is a funny old game, you get a win and score a couple of goals and it can start to breed confidence. Alternatively play like we did recently and take more shots rather than trying to walk it in and that to can breed more confidence and lead to people "having a go", we have the makings of Top 10, and Palace know and fear that!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Our Sarf London friends seem to think Mr Tumble will play, which goes against everything said but wouldn't be impossible, they do seem to be getting confident at the last minute!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Our Sarf London friends seem to think Mr Tumble will play, which goes against everything said but wouldn't be impossible, they do seem to be getting confident at the last minute!

Why aren't you ever honest and just say:-

'my own children seem to think ... '

Oh of course, silly me.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports