Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It's all good for the rivalry, we are both punching above our weight and for the first time in decades we can say that we are both at a similar level. Much as I love to dislike Palace it's a great rivalry which absolutely nobody but Palace and Albion fans actually "get". It's unique in British football isn't it?

All down to Mullery and Venables and Ron Challis (spit)

theboybilly

Yeah but wait till they get that massive stand built - then they will really take off !

This is the thing, we're expected to take heed of fiancial opinions from fans of a club with (in terms of % of income) one of the highest wage bills and yet seemingly not enough cash in the float to buy a few square meters of carpark from Sainsbury's or actually own their Academy

Last edited:

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
According to my good very sensible and knowledgeable Palace mate, they are using the Sainsbury deal as an excuse as they don't have the money to build at the moment, as costs have escalated. Don't shoot the messenger.

On the subject of the thread, think Palace have improved both on the pitch and off and credit where credit due. Think the facts show that they are a bit behind us on growth, but both clubs going in the right direction. Yes they have spend more money than us, but we did previously and we needed to improve the squad and infrastructure. They have spend money on their academy and they now have CaT 1 status and results are a lot better than they were, but feel us with practically another u23 team of players out on loan to some good leagues and clubs in Italy, Belgium, Scotland and our championship, feel is a better option in preparing players for the 1st team, of course I could be wrong.

Saw a comment about Palace being the Vicky Pollard of football with their normal response when they know they are losing the argument with their 'yer but no, but yer but no'

Bottom line is, we are both improving, and long May that continue as it promotes a healthy rivalry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
According to my good very sensible and knowledgeable Palace mate, they are using the Sainsbury deal as an excuse as they don't have the money to build at the moment, as costs have escalated. Don't shoot the messenger.

On the subject of the thread, think Palace have improved both on the pitch and off and credit where credit due. Think the facts show that they are a bit behind us on growth, but both clubs going in the right direction. Yes they have spend more money than us, but we did previously and we needed to improve the squad and infrastructure. They have spend money on their academy and they now have CaT 1 status and results are a lot better than they were, but feel us with practically another u23 team of players out on loan to some good leagues and clubs in Italy, Belgium, Scotland and our championship, feel is a better option in preparing players for the 1st team, of course I could be wrong.

Saw a comment about Palace being the Vicky Pollard of football with their normal response when they know they are losing the argument with their 'yer but no, but yer but no'

Bottom line is, we are both improving, and long May that continue as it promotes a healthy rivalry.

They still have to spend a lot of money. They planned to spend £100m on one stand before covid, if they still want the same stand it sounds like it will cost more than that now. The thing is it seems they have the owners who can afford it if they really wanted to.

This summer is a major test for us. We have a new director of football, Academy manager, loans manager. Our new finance manager only started in November. They all play major roles of the field. If we got it right then it should be seemless if wrong then those Palace fans who think we have peaked might be right. This summer is as much about Bloom having got it right again as anything else.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Personally I think that Palace are going to struggle to keep up.

To do that they will need to fill the academy with top talent ( they have stated they will pay top money to make this happen)
They have to make a lot of signings again this season, to replace loan players and expiring contracts.
They also need to increase their capacity by building the new stand. With the current levels of inflation, that project is likely to be beyond reach, without some serious investment.

That's a lot of financial commitment to try and keep up with us. I'm not sure the yanks are planning to fund it all in the timeframe necessary.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Personally I think that Palace are going to struggle to keep up.

To do that they will need to fill the academy with top talent ( they have stated they will pay top money to make this happen)
They have to make a lot of signings again this season, to replace loan players and expiring contracts.
They also need to increase their capacity by building the new stand. With the current levels of inflation, that project is likely to be beyond reach, without some serious investment.

That's a lot of financial commitment to try and keep up with us. I'm not sure the yanks are planning to fund it all in the timeframe necessary.

For me it's all about their academy. There is a LOT of talent in south London. If they can successfully tap into that then they're going to be in a really strong position. At the moment that talent is going pretty much everywhere but Palace.

If Chelsea's new owner lets the academy side of things slide that opens the door for the rest of the London clubs and the longer Palace stay in the Premier League the more attractive a proposition they'll be. Especially if they have a good community outreach programme(I have no idea if they do).

I really, really hope they continue to be poorly run and their academy fails...

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Just think we are very lucky to
Have Bloom, the main reason we are now ahead of them. I know Parish heart is in the right place, but not in
The same league as Tony, plus he takes a salary? Also the yanks are in to make money, or they (or one of them) would not try and get into bed at Chelsea.

A special mention to the good Palace fans, who are just like us and want to have a good club to support. Most of them hate their Ultras and would love them to be eradicated, but accept they make a good vibe.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
They still have to spend a lot of money. They planned to spend £100m on one stand before covid, if they still want the same stand it sounds like it will cost more than that now. The thing is it seems they have the owners who can afford it if they really wanted to.

This summer is a major test for us. We have a new director of football, Academy manager, loans manager. Our new finance manager only started in November. They all play major roles of the field. If we got it right then it should be seemless if wrong then those Palace fans who think we have peaked might be right. This summer is as much about Bloom having got it right again as anything else.

Disagree.
Palace have far more to do this summer to continue their improvement and catch up with us.

Any of Bloom's appointment fail and we aren't likely to see that affect results for 2-3 seasons.
Palace have to secure/replace Gallagher/Schlupp/Clyne/MacArthur/Kouyate/Ayew this season.
That's a more crucial level of recruitment than we face.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
For me it's all about their academy. There is a LOT of talent in south London. If they can successfully tap into that then they're going to be in a really strong position. At the moment that talent is going pretty much everywhere but Palace.

If Chelsea's new owner lets the academy side of things slide that opens the door for the rest of the London clubs and the longer Palace stay in the Premier League the more attractive a proposition they'll be. Especially if they have a good community outreach programme(I have no idea if they do).

I agree it's where they need to focus.
It will be interesting to see if they get it right.
Turning a promising scholar into a Premier League player, requires an awful lot more than just having a decent catchment area.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I agree it's where they need to focus.
It will be interesting to see if they get it right.
Turning a promising scholar into a Premier League player, requires an awful lot more than just having a decent catchment area.

Very true. Which is also why I hope Chelsea maintain their emphasis on their academy. If they let that go to waste there could be a lot of talented people both in terms of structural management and also in coaching who could become available.

I'm not holding my breath that at any time soon Palace will start churning out top quality premier league and international players but it is the one fear I have.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Very true. Which is also why I hope Chelsea maintain their emphasis on their academy. If they let that go to waste there could be a lot of talented people both in terms of structural management and also in coaching who could become available.

I'm not holding my breath that at any time soon Palace will start churning out top quality premier league and international players but it is the one fear I have.

I think Chelsea's academy was never really there as a pathway to the first team (at Chelsea anyway). It's a money making machine, so I guess it'll be telling what the impact of the new loan restrictions have on player hoarding. The interesting thing is that Chelsea's youngsters often go on to have very successful careers elsewhere. The carrot is: "Come to our academy, you could go on to play for Chelsea", but the smaller carrot is "Come to our academy, you'll have a great grounding for a career in football"

Palace have yet to come across a model that a) generates money from the academy (which we know takes time), b) creates a clear route to the first team (although Vieira seems more Potter than Hodgson on that front) or c) gives players that grounding to succeed in the pyramid somewhere.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex

The academy is being very successful so far with young talent, although as we all know that doesn’t always mean the players making it as a top level pro.

3 players picked for the England squad in the upcoming U18s tournament next month and 2 in the Irish squad and a few more scattered about. I believe 3 from the academy have made debuts for the first team including a 17 year old.

The U21s ended the season in 4th placed and that was a lot higher than expected, the U 18 ended 3rd in what was there 1st or second season together which a great effort.

You must remember the palace cat 1 academy is 3 or 4 years behind Brightons.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The academy is being very successful so far with young talent, although as we all know that doesn’t always mean the players making it as a top level pro.

3 players picked for the England squad in the upcoming U18s tournament next month and 2 in the Irish squad and a few more scattered about. I believe 3 from the academy have made debuts for the first team including a 17 year old.

The U21s ended the season in 4th placed and that was a lot higher than expected, the U 18 ended 3rd in what was there 1st or second season together which a great effort.

Ah so it was 3 or 4 years ago we were constantly being told 'Cat 1 academy was a load of old shite and the only metric that counts is league position'.

How time flies.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I think Chelsea's academy was never really there as a pathway to the first team (at Chelsea anyway). It's a money making machine, so I guess it'll be telling what the impact of the new loan restrictions have on player hoarding. The interesting thing is that Chelsea's youngsters often go on to have very successful careers elsewhere. The carrot is: "Come to our academy, you could go on to play for Chelsea", but the smaller carrot is "Come to our academy, you'll have a great grounding for a career in football"

Palace have yet to come across a model that a) generates money from the academy (which we know takes time), b) creates a clear route to the first team (although Vieira seems more Potter than Hodgson on that front) or c) gives players that grounding to succeed in the pyramid somewhere.

I agree. it's the potential that worries me. If they get their act together they could have a production line of not just premier league quality players but big club quality players. Off the top of my head the following are all from south of the river and not too far from Palace(and none from the Palace academy):

Sancho, Loftus Cheek, Smith-Rowe, Joe Gomez, Lookman, Nkettiah, Chalobah, Abraham, Hudson-Odoi.

When you look at all that talent, all 25 or under it's amazing really that the best player they've produced in the past 6-8 years is the bang average Wan Bissaka.

As long as that's all you're producing I'm not too worried. My point was more that there is such an abundance of talent within a few miles of Selhurst Park that if you're academy starts getting hold of those players you'll be in a strong position. That you haven't to date is something that should infuriate you, especially after you've been in the premier league for the past 8 seasons. What has taken the club so long to even begin to get in a position to even start thinking about attracting the best talent form your local(ish) area?

If you had that production line you could be selling a 50m+ homegrown player once a season, replace them with another academy player and really improve your club. The money brought in could build that new pipe dream stand, it could improve the whole ground, it could go on bigger wages and therefore better senior players to help guide all the starlets.

As a Brighton fan that is the only thing that worries me about palace. Start producing players like Chelsea and you'll become a mainstay premier league club. Thankfully up to this point you haven't and there's no guarantee you will.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Just think we are very lucky to
Have Bloom, the main reason we are now ahead of them. I know Parish heart is in the right place, but not in
The same league as Tony, plus he takes a salary? Also the yanks are in to make money, or they (or one of them) would not try and get into bed at Chelsea.

A special mention to the good Palace fans, who are just like us and want to have a good club to support. Most of them hate their Ultras and would love them to be eradicated, but accept they make a good vibe.

Calling [MENTION=38145]Palacefinder General[/MENTION]

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Ah so it was 3 or 4 years ago we were constantly being told 'Cat 1 academy was a load of old shite and the only metric that counts is league position'.

How time flies.

Not by me you didn’t.

But ultimately in most fans eyes it is final league position that really counts. Only sad sacks like us follow the youth teams in the hope we see a starlet come through.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

Chelsea's academy was primarily, if I may use a farming analogy, about fattening pigs for market while keeping the occasional best in show for themselves. It's a model that a number of clubs (including our good selves) seem to be trying to emulate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here