Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
From The Athletic:

"The 21-year-old is a product of Chelsea’s academy and they were reluctant to sanction his sale, however Palace presented a proposal that the European champions felt was too good to refuse.
As The Athletic reported in May, Guehi’s market value was expected to be around £15 million to £20 million and Chelsea have managed to negotiate a sell-on clause and matching rights on a future move."

anyone know what "matching rights on a future move" means?

If Palace accept an offer for Guehi from another club, Chelsea have the right to match that offer & we'd have to go with them instead (unless Guehi didn't want to re-sign with Chelsea, obviously)

They had a similar arrangement when selling Ake to Bournemouth. In reality it could be quite helpful for a selling club; if someone wants to buy him, they'll have to pay a price that Chelsea aren't interested in matching.

It would seem as if Chelsea are wee-weeing themselves over this deal.

palace have paid £20m for a glorified loan.

We chunter on about the hierarchies inability to get big deals over the line, but can you imagine this place if they signed a £20m loanee?

:moo:

If by 'glorified' you mean 'not even remotely similar to' then yeah, sure.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Up to £20 million? That's insane. Absolutely insane. Still, not my money, but :eek:

Cra-cra isn't it.

Buy for £20m.
Sell for £40m.
Profit £10m

The palace way.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Up to £20 million? That's insane. Absolutely insane. Still, not my money, but :eek:

Didn’t you pay £20m rising to £22m for Webster ? Another good championship defender ?

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Didn’t you pay £20m rising to £22m for Webster ? Another good championship defender ?

We bought one of, if not the, outstanding CB in the championship. Guehi wasn't really near that last season, though he is promising.

My father in law is a Chelsea version of AZ Gull (or near enough) and although he's disappointed to be losing an up and comer from the Chelsea youth, the price is - in his words - staggering. It may work out well for you, it may not, it's certainly worked out for Chelsea, but the fee is so inflated it's crazy.

It's like Bournemouth offering £17m for Ostigard.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003

Adam Webster had made over 160 league appearances, including nearly 90 in the Championship when we signed him. He'd proven over 3 consecutive season that he was a more than capable Championship defender. This lad you are signing has only had a season and a half and struggled in that first half season with Swansea, lot more of a risk. You have paid £20 million for potential, we paid £20 million for an established centre back.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Adam Webster had made over 160 league appearances, including nearly 90 in the Championship when we signed him. He'd proven over 3 consecutive season that he was a more than capable Championship defender. This lad you are signing has only had a season and a half and struggled in that first half season with Swansea, lot more of a risk.

It’s a risk I agree but with more benefits if it works out . The sky’s the limit for the lad, I hope he signs

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It’s a risk I agree but with more benefits if it works out . The sky’s the limit for the lad, I hope he signs

Tell that to Zaha, shackled to your slum club for all the best years of his career, when he could have been at a good club winning things.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Tell that to Zaha, shackled to your slum club for all the best years of his career, when he could have been at a good club winning things.

I’m sure the money comforted him.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I’m sure the money comforted him.

Given a move at the right time with his talent he'd have made that money easily elsewhere, and had something to show for his career at the end of it other than a series of some 15th place medals, and being known as the focal point of a 1 man team.

He realised too late that Palace was basically a massive wheelclamp. Sure he's trousered loads, him and his family are more than set for life. But his actual career ? Mediocre, and thats being generous.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
What a ****, you knew the 10th choice manager would get the job before the first one turned you down? :lolol:

Pat was always first choice( as my source told me) but 2 top managers approached us and out of curtesy we spoke to them.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That’s correct .

I recall a couple of others who post on here (or once posted) who put spaces before full stops and commas. 'Personality gap', it's called. Mind the personality gap.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Given a move at the right time with his talent he'd have made that money easily elsewhere, and had something to show for his career at the end of it other than a series of some 15th place medals, and being known as the focal point of a 1 man team.

He realised too late that Palace was basically a massive wheelclamp. Sure he's trousered loads, him and his family are more than set for life. But his actual career ? Mediocre, and thats being generous.

Pat has reignited his desire for the coming season . I’ve heard we will see the wilf of old.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here