Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Palace are currently proving how deluded we have been over the past few seasons.
Our model really isn't that much better than theirs.

They have the opportunity to make huge profits from their recruitment and will still be left with a very good midfield and their top scorer.

We are doing ok and the situation could well be recovered with a decent managerial appointment and a couple of signings.
But it's laughable that many of us genuinely felt that having eclipsed them, we would pull away over the past season and beyond.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Palace are currently proving how deluded we have been over the past few seasons.

I disagree. We've developed more talent, made more money, and been more successful on the pitch.

They have the opportunity to make huge profits from their recruitment and will still be left with a very good midfield and their top scorer.

Let's wait and see.

But it's laughable that many of us genuinely felt that having eclipsed them, we would pull away over the past season and beyond.

I don't see how that's laughable, it has looked like we'll be doing better than them on the pitch.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Palarse fans biggest fear is going into administration AGAIN , they maybe forced into selling Eze and Olise for peanuts when their Yank investor pulls out his investment to stick it into Everton.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Palarse fans biggest fear is going into administration AGAIN , they maybe forced into selling Eze and Olise for peanuts when their Yank investor pulls out his investment to stick it into Everton.
Soggys back 😂

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

We are doing ok ...
Pardon ? Palace had a good season, finishing in the top 10 for the first time in a generation , and now, for the first time since getting promoted a decade ago, finally have several brilliant young players at the same time - who lefts face it they will probably sell for a big profit this summer.

But so what ? Are we deluded for pointing out that Albion have been doing that now for the last three / four years and the conveyor belt of players continues apace.. I also don't remember seeing Palace in the Dam, and i don't remember seeing a new stand over the way when i sit in the crumbling Arthur Wait year after year ? I do remember Welbeck and Pedro ruining their afternoons last season and i do remember reading banners saying "wasted potential on and off the pitch, weak decisions taking us backwards" only a few months ago. Surprisingly enough a couple of wins and they've packed em back in the cupboard ...

Good luck to em and i'm frustrated they overtook us - outplaying a Villa who had downed tools for the beach weeks before. But hey. Lets see where we are next season without their three best players. We know how challenging that can be., however good your model is...

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Pardon ? Palace had a good season, finishing in the top 10 for the first time in a generation , and now, for the first time since getting promoted a decade ago, finally have several brilliant young players at the same time - who lefts face it they will probably sell for a big profit this summer.

But so what ? Are we deluded for pointing out that Albion have been doing that now for the last three / four years and the conveyor belt of players continues apace.. I also don't remember seeing Palace in the Dam, and i don't remember seeing a new stand over the way when i sit in the crumbling Arthur Wait year after year ? I do remember Welbeck and Pedro ruining their afternoons last season and i do remember reading banners saying "wasted potential on and off the pitch, weak decisions taking us backwards" only a few months ago. Surprisingly enough a couple of wins and they've packed em back in the cupboard ...

Good luck to em and i'm frustrated they overtook us - outplaying a Villa who had downed tools for the beach weeks before. But hey. Lets see where we are next season without their three best players. We know how challenging that can be., however good your model is...
Some of us (me) thought their recruitment model was significantly worse than ours.
However they are now in a position where they can sell 3 players for £100m+ profit and still have players such as Decoure, Wharton and Mateta to build a new team around.
They have also managed to retain the person responsible for that recruitment and have brought in a progressive coach with a good pedigree in Europe.

It's pretty impressive - regardless of what I want to believe about them.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?

They want to build a new stand that looks like the Amex.

Want to play progressive football.

Signing young players with potential to develop and sell

Signing young south American players

Signing a Japanese player.

Hopefully their worst fear isn't becoming Brighton otherwise they're heading for a nightmare!

Luckily for all involved they'll sack the manager if he has a run of poor results, the stand will never get built and their recruitment will fall off a cliff once freedman leaves.

And on that last point let's be clear, it's fear and lack of ambition that's keeping him at palace. He's stated that the worst decision he made was leaving palace and going to Bolton. He couldn't cut it out if his comfort zone so is staying put where he can get tucked into bed every night by parish.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

We are doing ok and the situation could well be recovered with a decent managerial appointment and a couple of signings.
Palace have won six out of seven against teams on the beach, and pipped us to 10th place. I'm sure they feel smug and pleased about things at the moment.

But let's remember which club finished 9th (a position Palace haven't reached in the PL era), then broke into the top six and then topped a group in Europe containing three world famous clubs with 4 UCL wins between them.

Granted, we've slipped back to their level with the last kick of the season, but let's see what happens this season and view the trend before we worry too much about them. They haven't even beaten us since February 2021, and even that was an absolute travesty.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Palace have won six out of seven against teams on the beach, and pipped us to 10th place. I'm sure they feel smug and pleased about things at the moment.

But let's remember which club finished 9th (a position Palace haven't reached in the PL era), then broke into the top six and then topped a group in Europe containing three world famous clubs with 4 UCL wins between them.

Granted, we've slipped back to their level with the last kick of the season, but let's see what happens this season and view the trend before we worry too much about them. They haven't even beaten us since February 2021, and even that was an absolute travesty.
It isn't really so much about league position last season.
It's about where they are right now.

Their recruitment has been better than ours this season. Undoubtedly.
And players they have signed over the past 3 or 4 seasons could well be sold for close to £200m this summer.
They seem to be making strong moves to pre-replace any departees.
If not, they have a squad capable of competing for a european place next season.

We do a better job on developing potential, sure.
But at this point they are in a much stronger position, to be pushing for top half, than we are.
When you consider the perceived gap between the clubs ( in the table and behind the scenes) at the start of the year.
It proves that Palace were significantly better off than many of us thought.

The fact that 19 days after agreeing to part ways with our progressive manager, we still don't seem to have a replacement lined up
Undermines our assumption that the club always know what they're doing.

boik

And players they have signed over the past 3 or 4 seasons could well be sold for close to £200m this summer.
If not, they have a squad capable of competing for a european place next season.

But at this point they are in a much stronger position, to be pushing for top half, than we are.
When you consider the perceived gap between the clubs ( in the table and behind the scenes) at the start of the year.

The fact that 19 days after agreeing to part ways with our progressive manager, we still don't seem to have a replacement lined up
You just need to remember exactly how well they did when Eze and Olise were out.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Some of us (me) thought their recruitment model was significantly worse than ours.
However they are now in a position where they can sell 3 players for £100m+ profit and still have players such as Decoure, Wharton and Mateta to build a new team around.
They have also managed to retain the person responsible for that recruitment and have brought in a progressive coach with a good pedigree in Europe.

The reason they've retained the person responsible for recruitment is not because they've offered them a vision of the future and convinced them that Palace is a good place to be, it's because no one has come in for them. If they're able to keep doing a good job, then they'll probably get poached, as our team have. Whatever they're able to sell their players for, their profit will be less than ours, and I imagine the team they'll be left with will be weaker.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

The reason we haven't got a replacement is because Tony does things the right way, rather than tap someone up and have an agreement before letting someone go. He still has plenty of time to bring someone in before the new season.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Sorry, we know nothing of our recruitment compared to theirs. The season only finished last weekend, and we've never been rushed into any recruitment - players or manager.

I can't believe you're making a big thing of 19 days. That is nothing! I'd rather they took six weeks and got the right man, wouldn't you?

And as for player recruitment, the number of times people have purred about other team signings made early in the summer and then watched them turn to shit later in the season. Happens all the time. Meanwhile we've picked up some absolute steals in recent seasons, and rarely at the beginning of a transfer window.

tldr; judge after game one in August, don't get sucked into worrying about where our signings are or how marvellously Palace are recruiting in the first week of June.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Its not where they are right now though is it as plenty will change before next season.
Come back in August or probably September , by which time we'll have more sense of how the transfer windows have gone, respective squads for 24/25 and coaches. PS: I think you're right to highlight that Palace had a strong end to the season and clearly have a group of exciting players or players that Glasner has managed to make tick. But , on basis they finished 1 point ahead of us and we're about to change coaches , i think you're perhaps downplaying where Albion are too. Tough argument to make on here !

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The reason they've retained the person responsible for recruitment is not because they've offered them a vision of the future and convinced them that Palace is a good place to be, it's because no one has come in for them. If they're able to keep doing a good job, then they'll probably get poached, as our team have. Whatever they're able to sell their players for, their profit will be less than ours, and I imagine the team they'll be left with will be weaker.
Dougie rejected Newcastle I believe - or more likely he used a Newcastle approach to leverage a better contract from Beaky

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
To be clear.
All I'm saying is that we have overplayed how good our model is in comparison to Palace's

The reality is we are much more closely matched, than either side likes to admit.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

This, unfortunately + they are really taking advantage of their current managerial and playing stability to prepare properly for next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here