[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
17.03.23 Paddy sacked.
Roy appointed to see out season.

14.06.23 Transfer window open.
17.06.03 No new manager & no 'pre window' signings confirmed.

Just what have the northerners been doing since mid march?

Would I be right in thinking there's not a dry bedsheet up there?

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
17.03.23 Paddy sacked.
Roy appointed to see out season.

14.06.23 Transfer window open.
17.06.03 No new manager & no 'pre window' signings confirmed.

Just what have the northerners been doing since mid march?

Would I be right in thinking there's not a dry bedsheet up there?
They've signed Lerma on a free from Bournemouth haven't they?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I loved this article written by the Palace supporter Ed Aarons: https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...as-leagues-oldest-manager-with-crystal-palace

They've considered candidates, but have decided on Roy.

"We could have had Potter, Rogers or Steve Cooper if we had felt like snapping our fingers. They would all definitely come here, but we have Roy and he's going to train Paddy McCarthy, so we don't even want any of them actually."

In other news, everyone is invited to Steve's birthday party. His mum considered having it on her super yacht in Cannes, hiring the whole of Alton Towers for the day, or flying everybody to Jay Z and Beyonce's house (He's his uncle actually). However, she's decided to stick with a bouncy castle in his Nan's back garden.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Do they not think they may want someone a little younger, with more ambition and an ability to stay awake for 90 minutes

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's hard to imagine Roy attracting young, top flight, international talent.
(Or for that matter keeping the one they have)

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Do they not think they may want someone a little younger, with more ambition and an ability to stay awake for 90 minutes
Age is just a number, Roy managed 8 games for us last season palace scored 18 goals in those games, that kept me awake.

All joking apart it has surprised me how much the younger players look up to him, they seem to respect him and it showed in those games.

I don’t know so could be very wrong but Paddy Mc Carthy Is highly rated having done really well with the under 23s, I feel if Roy does manage us next season he will take Paddy under his wing, he made Paddy his assistant as soon as he joined.

Grizz

NSC Patron
Jul 5, 2003
Age is just a number, Roy managed 8 games for us last season palace scored 18 goals in those games, that kept me awake.

All joking apart it has surprised me how much the younger players look up to him, they seem to respect him and it showed in those games.

I don’t know so could be very wrong but Paddy Mc Carthy Is highly rated having done really well with the under 23s, I feel if Roy does manage us next season he will take Paddy under his wing, he made Paddy his assistant as soon as he joined.

Like nigh on all decisions in football, it's either going to work like a dream and McCarthy will learn under Hodgson and become the young, exciting manager you've been trying to find to transform the playing side of things, or its going to fall flat on its arse and you'll be gunning for Roy's head after watching four months of insipid football like you did last time around. It'll all come down to patience and whether your Board can hold their nerve, which they don't seem to have a good track record of doing so recently.

The Albion are on an upward trajectory at the moment and it's been great finishing above Palace for the last couple of seasons, but there was a time I would've been quite happy having non-descript seasons, happy to finish mid table with a couple of cracking results against the big teams in there to keep it fun. I think these next few seasons will be crucial for the organisation behind the playing side of things though, otherwise you might get cut adrift.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there

It surprised me that a manager that absolutely stank out the PL with palace in his last 2 years could make them attack. Very odd, but perhaps more a reflection of issues under Viera and a fresh start unhindered by the position they were in, i.e. not Roy's fault.

I think next season will be different though, no bounce, no release from problems under another manager, back to concern at losing rather than a desire to win. Hope so anyway!

If I were a palace fan I'd be very concerned at not going for a decent manager that could build - the short termism is so deep in the palace psyche, it is their only identity, everything else changes (colours, history, etc) but they are consistenty short term. Why on earth are they not going all out for Potter, he's a great manager. Really weird

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Like nigh on all decisions in football, it's either going to work like a dream and McCarthy will learn under Hodgson and become the young, exciting manager you've been trying to find to transform the playing side of things, or its going to fall flat on its arse and you'll be gunning for Roy's head after watching four months of insipid football like you did last time around. It'll all come down to patience and whether your Board can hold their nerve, which they don't seem to have a good track record of doing so recently.

The Albion are on an upward trajectory at the moment and it's been great finishing above Palace for the last couple of seasons, but there was a time I would've been quite happy having non-descript seasons, happy to finish mid table with a couple of cracking results against the big teams in there to keep it fun. I think these next few seasons will be crucial for the organisation behind the playing side of things though, otherwise you might get cut adrift.
I would think most clubs outside the top 5 aim for the season is top 10, Palace ended 11th this season, so just under what most fans would class as a good season.

There is no denying that BHA are a few years ahead on the Academy side of it but looking at the league finishing of u23s and all the academy sides, palace have done well in all of them.

Yes McCarthy might work or it might not, but that can be said of all mangers.

Given the players Roy has proved that he can get his teams to play good football, ask Fulham and West Brom fans.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Can anyone think of any time that a club has successfully used a wise old head to groom an inexperienced manager to take over the reins? It seems, like player swap deals, to be something that fans are forever proposing, but hardly ever happens.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can anyone think of any time that a club has successfully used a wise old head to groom an inexperienced manager to take over the reins? It seems, like player swap deals, to be something that fans are forever proposing, but hardly ever happens.
If they'd sacked Paddy 3 weeks earlier, Roy wouldn't have been the wise old head, they think he is.
Or if they'd waited 3 weeks they wouldn't have had to sack Paddy and would now have a manager who can attract the players they need.

Favourites for relegation if Roy is staying.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
If they'd sacked Paddy 3 weeks earlier, Roy wouldn't have been the wise old head, they think he is.
Or if they'd waited 3 weeks they wouldn't have had to sack Paddy and would now have a manager who can attract the players they need.

Favourites for relegation if Roy is staying.
Sorry but as much as we all wanted Paddy V to succeed, it wasn’t working as they say he had lost the dressing room, he was liked but the tactics were wanting and the players new it.

No way with Roy would palace get relegated.

As for the wise old man to groom a young manager, I don’t know if it will work, but as you say the fans would love it if it worked.

BTW it’s only what I think , it might not be what the plan is.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2011
Sorry but as much as we all wanted Paddy V to succeed, it wasn’t working as they say he had lost the dressing room, he was liked but the tactics were wanting and the players new it.

No way with Roy would palace get relegated.

As for the wise old man to groom a young manager, I don’t know if it will work, but as you say the fans would love it if it worked.

BTW it’s only what I think , it might not be what the plan is.
There is a plan? ???

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I would think most clubs outside the top 5 aim for the season is top 10, Palace ended 11th this season, so just under what most fans would class as a good season.

There is no denying that BHA are a few years ahead on the Academy side of it but looking at the league finishing of u23s and all the academy sides, palace have done well in all of them.

Yes McCarthy might work or it might not, but that can be said of all mangers.

Given the players Roy has proved that he can get his teams to play good football, ask Fulham and West Brom fans.
I think Brighton are light years ahead of Palace in every way. It's always ridiculous judging academies on where the U21s or U18's finish when real success is whether those players are in competive leagues on loan or in the fiurst team.

Roy at Fulham when the football was decent was with big investment and a VERY long time ago re Roys age and attributes now

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
After 10 years and well over a billion pounds flowing into the club, you'd like to think expectations would be slightly higher than 'top 10 finish.'

Thank god for the new stand or else they'd have nothing.

Last edited:

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
After 10 years and well over a billion pounds flowing into the club, you'd like to think expectations would be slightly higher than 'top 10 finish.'

Thank god for the new stand or else they'd have nothing.
Really! What would you suggest top 6 or top 4, there will always be an outliner season but top 10 finishes is about as good as it gets IMHO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here