Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

eaglesdan

Sep 28, 2011
I'll add my congratulations too
Hope you have a better experience than our InterToto adventure when we were drawn against an obscure Turkish side, and lost at the first attempt
Are you guaranteed Europa League, or could it still be the conference?
Would you have to go through qualifying, or straight to group stages?
Sorry for the questions, but European qualification details are not something I have had to worry about before, or any time soon.
Just hope the European dream doesnt turn into a nightmare

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It must be hurting when you’re trying to claim that qualifying for the inter-two-bob cup is the same as getting Europa Conference:

They didn't even qualify for the InterToto Cup. They applied to be in it because nobody else wanted to as it was considered such a waste of time. The first year it was invented as a summer tournament, no English clubs applied, but then UEFA threatened English football with expulsion (again) if they didn't bother. So Spurs and Wimbledon entered (think it was Wimbledon who played their games at the Goldstone actually). But they both fielded weakened teams and got punished by UEFA.

Palace actually finished bottom of the Premier League the year they applied to be in it. Not a single other English club could be arsed to apply. They lost 4-0 on aggregate to a Turkish team I've never heard of.

There's your "European tour".

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Hope you have a better experience than our InterToto adventure when we were drawn against an obscure Turkish side, and lost at the first attempt
Sorry for the questions, but European qualification details are not something I have had to worry about before, or any time soon.
Could be the conference if we contrive to throw away a +16 GD advantage in the remaining two games. Shouldn't happen, but one match is against City, and the other is against Villa, so goals effectively count double...

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
They didn't even qualify for the InterToto Cup. They applied to be in it because nobody else wanted to as it was considered such a waste of time. The first year it was invented as a summer tournament, no English clubs applied, but then UEFA threatened English football with expulsion (again) if they didn't bother. So Spurs and Wimbledon entered (think it was Wimbledon who played their games at the Goldstone actually). But they both fielded weakened teams and got punished by UEFA.

Palace actually finished bottom of the Premier League the year they applied to be in it. Not a single other English club could be arsed to apply. They lost 4-0 on aggregate to a Turkish team I've never heard of.

I remember going to a "European game" at the Goldstone, I think it was Spurs playing as they had Day as the GK? Could be wrong. As you say it was in the summer, I only went along as thought it's the only chance of seeing European football at the Goldstone!

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
IF we finish 6th, then we go straight into the group stages.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
I just don't believe this. I bet you've got everything crossed that we fail miserably, because if the roles were reversed, I would have everything crossed and more.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Enjoy your time in the sun, I wish you well.
We may have to hold that phrase when the draw throws up Sweden, Scotland and Latvia on a wet winter night.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Thank you dan.

If we get thrashed by City and Villa, we could be in the conference, and Dougie will be on here 24/7.

Straight to group.

We've only just found out too.

That means a lot, thank you :kiss:

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I remember going to a "European game" at the Goldstone, I think it was Spurs playing as they had Day as the GK? Could be wrong. As you say it was in the summer, I only went along as thought it's the only chance of seeing European football at the Goldstone!

both Spurs and Wimbledon played their games at the Goldstone and I've never figured out why

Spurs played Swiss side Luzern, losing 2-0 in front of 2,497 and Swedish side Oster, losing 2-1 in front of 2,143

Wimbledon lost 4-0 to Bursaspor in front of 1,879 and drew 0-0 with Beitar Jerusalem in front of 702

theboybilly

I'm pleased you're happy with your mediocrity.
We're going on a European tour.
Don't forget the 4 year start on us that gave them a £500m+ in PL & TV revenue advantage. I wonder what the Albion could have done with that. A bit more than adding cladding and clearing the guttering surely.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
both Spurs and Wimbledon played their games at the Goldstone and I've never figured out why

Spurs played Swiss side Luzern, losing 2-0 in front of 2,497 and Swedish side Oster, losing 2-1 in front of 2,143

Wimbledon lost 4-0 to Bursaspor in front of 1,879 and drew 0-0 with Beitar Jerusalem in front of 702

Spurs’ 1995 Intertoto Cup campaign, when they weren’t really themselves

Spurs.jpg

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

"In particular, following its 1995 relaunch, clubs in England were sceptical about the competition; after initially being offered three places in the cup, all English top division teams rejected the chance to take part.[5] Following the threat of bans of English teams from all UEFA competitions,[5] three English clubs were entered but fielded weakened teams. UEFA's punishment was to dock England a fourth UEFA Cup qualification place in 1995–96 "due to the conduct of Tottenham and Wimbledon in last season's Intertoto Cup."[6]

In following years, UEFA made it possible for nations to forfeit Intertoto places. For example, in 1998, Scotland, San Marino and Moldova forfeited their places, and England, Portugal, and Greece forfeited one of their two, Crystal Palace being the sole English entrant despite finishing bottom of the Premier League."

:ROFLMAO:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It can’t possibly turn into a nightmare… wishful thinking. Most of us aren’t too fussed about the actual results right now - just the chance to see us play in Europe with the worlds elite. No chance of a nightmare. Nice thought though, if that’s what helps get you through it, keep telling yourself it 👍

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

The replies are brilliant - some claiming Europa is better for Palace as we won’t win it 🤣 Many palace pointing out the intertoto thing is not the same as Europa conference and they were the only team to apply and lost their only tie 🤣 Then one claiming we don’t go in at the group stages - ahahahah the stench is unbearable from them 🤣

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I was chatting to a Palace mate about us, and them. Firstly, he was actually quite complimentary about us, said we probably deserved top 4, but because of VAR, including against them, we had been shafted.
Said he wished Palaces recruitment was a fraction as good as ours.
He’s not over enthusiastic about Roy having another season, God forbid, was his actual words. Thinks that Parish will use the Zaha new contract situation as a fig leaf to cover very little or no new investment in the team.He even thinks that Palace could lose both Guita and Eze. Arsenal are apparently sniffing round,behind the scenes.
The new stand has got zero funding in place, and he agreed with me when I said I couldn’t believe they have frittered away 10 years of TV money.
This guy is an ex friend of Parish, they used to travel together to away matches. He still knows people on the inside.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I was chatting to a Palace mate about us, and them. Firstly, he was actually quite complimentary about us, said we probably deserved top 4, but because of VAR, including against them, we had been shafted.
Said he wished Palaces recruitment was a fraction as good as ours.
He’s not over enthusiastic about Roy having another season, God forbid, was his actual words. Thinks that Parish will use the Zaha new contract situation as a fig leaf to cover very little or no new investment in the team.He even thinks that Palace could lose both Guita and Eze. Arsenal are apparently sniffing round,behind the scenes.
The new stand has got zero funding in place, and he agreed with me when I said I couldn’t believe they have frittered away 10 years of TV money.
This guy is an ex friend of Parish, they used to travel together to away matches. He still knows people on the inside.
I can’t imagine Steve Parish falling out with people, I won’t have it!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
The one thing Palace don't need to fear is having their players picked by Southgate, seems to have such bias towards Palace and Villa.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here