Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
One of the problems seems to have been buying some land off Sainsbury’s….would that be the same land they sold to Sainsbury’s about 30 (or more) years ago?

We can thank Raymond Bloye for that, sold that part of the ground and buggered off with the money, about 1980….blimey I remember standing in the Whitehorse end when it was mixed supporters.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Lap it up [MENTION=23111]Dougie[/MENTION] cos this is the closest you’ll ever get.

https://youtu.be/AUnWAL-ty4U

The stupid thing is that if they ever built this monstrosity they would change a ground which has 4 completely mismatched stands into a ground that still has 4 completely mismatched stands. The obvious thing to do would be to replace the corrugated iron old stand with one that matches the style of the two deck Holmesdale. A new stand with two decks would give them a much higher capacity but would cost vastly less than the vanity project would. They would probably not have to buy the car park off Sainsburys which allegedly is the big hold up. Of course they would still be left with that stupid Sainsburys end and that cr4ppy other stand. Anyway, long may they continue to make a mess of it...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh wow, I and I'm pretty sure nobody else saw that coming.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Like Boris? Gets all the big calls right?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Unfortunately he does get the big calls right more often than not.
Palace can't afford the new stand, end of. Not surprising after Covid and the current state of inflation etc.
It's far better for them to spend what money they have on an academy and building a squad..

Funny that he is trying to blame Sainsbury's for blocking it though.
If he'd paid up 4 years ago, they might have been able to afford it.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Unfortunately he does get the big calls right more often than not.
Palace can't afford the new stand, end of. Not surprising after Covid and the current state of inflation etc.
It's far better for them to spend what money they have on an academy and building a squad..

Funny that he is trying to blame Sainsbury's for blocking it though.
If he'd paid up 4 years ago, they might have been able to afford it.

Ring what?

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
The article is inaccurate - it states "Now, it seems unlikely that Palace will have their shiny new, and bigger, stadium by the time of Selhurst Park’s centenary, in 2024" suggesting they have only been in existence since 1924. Everyone knows they are the oldest club in the solar system.

I thought they’d only been around since 2010? ???

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Edit: ^^ Beat me to it^^

The article is inaccurate - it states "Now, it seems unlikely that Palace will have their shiny new, and bigger, stadium by the time of Selhurst Park’s centenary, in 2024" suggesting they have only been in existence since 1924. Everyone knows they are the oldest club in the solar system.

There is certainly a typo,
Should have read: "it seems unlikely that Palace will have their shiny new, and bigger, stadium by the time of their centenary, in 2110"

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003

The centenary of the stadium rather than the club, which isn’t even a teenager yet. Although the stadium gives the impression of being a lot older.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
True injuries etc. The other problem is how you keep those not playing in the World Cup match fit. What odds that they’ll be a few ‘behind closed door friendlies’?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hadn't really thought about that, they'll be a few that shoot off to Ibiza and some that go into a training programme I guess?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
And you know this for certain do you ???

[MENTION=23111]Dougie[/MENTION] you said once that you have permission and all you need to do now is build it, if it wasn't you it was SE25 or whatever?

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
[MENTION=23111]Dougie[/MENTION] you said once that you have permission and all you need to do now is build it, if it wasn't you it was SE25 or whatever?

It was SE20 who said that , I wouldn’t be so presumptuous. As I mentioned mr parish gets things done eventually so I’m not too worried or too concerned tbh.

theboybilly

Yeah sure they all want it to go ahead.

The only thing stopping this was Palace paying for it to happen.

Again a case of Palace knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing. One of the highest payers (percentage of income-wise) yet they couldn't stump up the comparative pittance for a few square metres of car park.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
It was SE20 who said that , I wouldn’t be so presumptuous. As I mentioned mr parish gets things done eventually so I’m not too worried or too concerned tbh.

are you seriously not too worried or concerned about the stand? The only things that have happened regarding the stand since planning permission was granted is that it has now lapsed, your American owners have actively looked at another PL club to buy into, and the then ludicrous cost of the stand (£100 million) will have soared and will continue to do so- the much spoken about but never seen " ringfenced" money, is now nowhere near enough for the project which means that without substantial additional funding that stand is simply what most of thought it was- pie in the sky, something to keep the "ultras" quiet for a bit.

I know we had all sorts of issues with our stadium, and it took longer than your stand from planning permission to building, but you are catching up fast and are arguably further back in the process than you were when the club submitted planning approval in the first place.

I honestly can't believe anyone really believes that stand will ever be built, at best you will get a much pared down version, (think our East stand before the second tier was added

Your faith in the club is admirable but I honestly think misplaced. Beaky may be a fan and part owner, but he simply doesnt have the financial clout to get this done, so is relying on American money, and that doesn't seem to be forthcoming anytime soon

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
are you seriously not too worried or concerned about the stand? The only things that have happened regarding the stand since planning permission was granted is that it has now lapsed, your American owners have actively looked at another PL club to buy into, and the then ludicrous cost of the stand (£100 million) will have soared and will continue to do so- the much spoken about but never seen " ringfenced" money, is now nowhere near enough for the project which means that without substantial additional funding that stand is simply what most of thought it was- pie in the sky, something to keep the "ultras" quiet for a bit.

I know we had all sorts of issues with our stadium, and it took longer than your stand from planning permission to building, but you are catching up fast and are arguably further back in the process than you were when the club submitted planning approval in the first place.

I honestly can't believe anyone really believes that stand will ever be built, at best you will get a much pared down version, (think our East stand before the second tier was added

Your faith in the club is admirable but I honestly think misplaced. Beaky may be a fan and part owner, but he simply doesnt have the financial clout to get this done, so is relying on American money, and that doesn't seem to be forthcoming anytime soon
Great post.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

The yanks will have pulled the plug on the "ring-fenced" money as soon as the costs began to spiral.
They could afford to pay it (from what I understand) but there is no financial reason to do so now.
The extra cost will dwarf whatever increased revenue the stand was supposed to bring in.

They clearly don't see Palace as worth additional investment, which is why Yank #3 had to be brought in.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021

I'm interested in your opinion Dougie; if I were a Palace fan (thank God I wasn't born in Croydon) I reckon I would think that this proposed stand is a daft vanity project and will probably bankrupt the club (again). Why not build a 2 or 3 deck stand that matches the style of the Holmesdale end and then at least have 2 sides of the ground that compliment each other? Such a stand could probably be built for half the price in half the time and without having to buy Sainsbury's car park, so you could actually crack on with it and finally achieve a 30,000 capacity. In my view you don't need a £100M (probably £125M with inflation?) main stand facing that decrepit stand opposite (I don't know if you've been in it but it is a sh*thole). Anyway, I am genuinely interested to know if you support SP's vision...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here