Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace Fan Conversion - The Amex / Poyet Axis Effect

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I do agree there is a massive difference between some Prem fan and a Palace fan converting.

But I just wouldn't do that, and I suspect many wouldn't. If I was living near Jongleurs SE25 and my kids were Palace fans (I can't see that for starters) I might take them to the odd game, but there is no way I'd pay for season tickets for them. Just because his team are a bit shit? What would he be like when they are 92nd in the league? Not the sort you'd want in the trenches.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
One of my mates who follows Everton has just bought one. I think he'll still follow Everton as he has family up there and goes to some games but he's been well and truely converted by our quality football this season :thumbsup:

Sep 30, 2006
Up in the Gods
Bit harsh to call him "a tit". You don't even know the bloke. Wind your neck in pal.

I posted this as an example to describe what is / might happen.

To be frank, he has really been struggling with his conscious for a while on this. But he has made the move for the sake of his son, who can't get enough of the Albion. Pretty magnanimous if you ask me????

If the situation were reversed, though I'd do my damndest to prevent my son from turning to the "Dark Side", there is a limit.

He has MANY Albion supporting mates and is a Sussex boy (just looked north rather than south at the crucial moment). To actively spend £600 and take time out to take his son to the team his son loves, even though it's the Ying to the Nigel's Yang, should be commended.

Some take the moral high ground far too quickly and jump to some BIG conclusions, hiding behind their keyboards.

If he didn't do it, there'd be x2 less seats sold currently and, potentially, x1 life-time Albion follower put off for life.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
To be honest I would expect these "converts" who support other clubs will only last one or two seasons as the novelty will wear off, I could not for one minute consider buying a season ticket to watch a club I do not support.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
To be honest I would expect these "converts" who support other clubs will only last one or two seasons as the novelty will wear off, I could not for one minute consider buying a season ticket to watch a club I do not support.

Maybe they've always been Albion 'supporters' at heart but weren't strong enough to admit it in public? Now the embarrassment factor is disappearing, they are coming out. Who cares, fill the place first then worry about keeping them later.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Nobby I think it is fair to question this guys intentions, surely you expected that? I don't think it is any kind of moral high ground, but I agree there is no reason for name calling, but hey this is NSC! You didn't really explain very well in your initial post I guess. But if he wants to see the light fair play to him.

'Solid at the back'... good point!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I think he is sensible. His lad supports his local team - so what is he going to do ? Sounds like a good parent to me. Better than black-mailing his son to follow a team that sets his son apart from his peer-group.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Christ I was thinking about this, but the other way around. If my Son wanted me to take him to Palarse????? Do you think it would be over the top for me to call in social services to enquire about children's homes in and around Croydon?

Sep 30, 2006
Up in the Gods
Christ I was thinking about this, but the other way around. If my Son wanted me to take him to Palarse????? Do you think it would be over the top for me to call in social services to enquire about children's homes in and around Croydon?

Ha! To be honest, when he "confessed" yesterday, the same chilling thought filled my mind for a split second. I would have requested a DNA test. However, I indoctrinated my son at a very early age and it seems to have worked. His first game was the Cardiff Play-Off Final. He was 3.

Surport Local Team

Jan 5, 2011
Ex palace, season ticket holder!!! now has 2x mex season tickets

Ex Palace season ticket holder!!!! now has 2x Amex season tickets

I lived in crawley until 7 then for 25 years have lived in eastbourne. my dad took me to around a dozen brighton matches in 89, 90,91. i remember clearly play off final 1991 v notts co. my dad then took me to my first palace match in 1991. when older i asked why, he says it because of all the trouble at brighton, especially around hove station and brighton were not doing well (second reason is unforgivable i know).

during the 90s and early naughties i went to many palace matches even having season tickets for 5 years in that time. i did also go to few matches in mid 90s with mates at the goldstone. for around 15 years now i have felt that i should have been a brighton fan and my dad should not have change my team. however i am a strong believer in loyalty so could not change teams back again. even thought i own my own business which is based in eastboune and brighton and i am a sussex lad all my life. i did go less and less to palace in early naughties as i felt no affinity to area club etc. last going to selhurst 6 years ago. in last few years i have been going to eastbourne borough which i have enjoyed but have missed the big match atmosphere.

if it had just been me i never would have morally allowed myself to switch back to brighton, but i now have two sons 2 years old and 4 months old, and it is for them i am changing. I want to take them to see their local team, they have no connection with london or croydon as both are born and bread in eastbourne. i have been racked with guilt about the change as i feel it is like switching sides in ww2. however i feel my dad should never have taken me to palace and had i been older and not a kid then i would not aloud this to happen also brighton were the first side i watched as a kid.

i will not be a one season wonder but a loyal fan for life. i have bought a season ticket for myself and my 2 year old and in a couple of years i will get my younger son one. i am not like my dad i will support the team through thick and thin no matter what division.

in conclusion i feel i will only become a brighton fan once i have seen more brighton matches that palace. i feel changing your team goes against all my believes however i feel a greater need to correct the mistake my dad made with me and not make the same error with my sons that my dad did with me!

it feels right i am sussex, my boys are sussex, i run a business in sussex. i and my boys should support sussex football? however i still dont feel comfortable as changing teams is shorely never right especially palace brighton rivalry!!

would appreciate anyone thoughts!!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Bit concerning he can jump ship for this? Were we not in the same position a few years back? Where's the loyalty?

That smacks of glory hunting. Still, one more to us means one less for them, maybe he could start a trend.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Ex Palace season ticket holder!!!! now has 2x Amex season tickets

I lived in crawley until 7 then for 25 years have lived in eastbourne. my dad took me to around a dozen brighton matches in 89, 90,91. i remember clearly play off final 1991 v notts co. my dad then took me to my first palace match in 1991. when older i asked why, he says it because of all the trouble at brighton, especially around hove station and brighton were not doing well (second reason is unforgivable i know).

during the 90s and early naughties i went to many palace matches even having season tickets for 5 years in that time. i did also go to few matches in mid 90s with mates at the goldstone. for around 15 years now i have felt that i should have been a brighton fan and my dad should not have change my team. however i am a strong believer in loyalty so could not change teams back again. even thought i own my own business which is based in eastboune and brighton and i am a sussex lad all my life. i did go less and less to palace in early naughties as i felt no affinity to area club etc. last going to selhurst 6 years ago. in last few years i have been going to eastbourne borough which i have enjoyed but have missed the big match atmosphere.

if it had just been me i never would have morally allowed myself to switch back to brighton, but i now have two sons 2 years old and 4 months old, and it is for them i am changing. I want to take them to see their local team, they have no connection with london or croydon as both are born and bread in eastbourne. i have been racked with guilt about the change as i feel it is like switching sides in ww2. however i feel my dad should never have taken me to palace and had i been older and not a kid then i would not aloud this to happen also brighton were the first side i watched as a kid.

i will not be a one season wonder but a loyal fan for life. i have bought a season ticket for myself and my 2 year old and in a couple of years i will get my younger son one. i am not like my dad i will support the team through thick and thin no matter what division.

in conclusion i feel i will only become a brighton fan once i have seen more brighton matches that palace. i feel changing your team goes against all my believes however i feel a greater need to correct the mistake my dad made with me and not make the same error with my sons that my dad did with me!

it feels right i am sussex, my boys are sussex, i run a business in sussex. i and my boys should support sussex football? however i still dont feel comfortable as changing teams is shorely never right especially palace brighton rivalry!!

would appreciate anyone thoughts!!

Good on you,sounds like you are bringing your kids up the right way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here