Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pakistan-v-Darrell Hair

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
So now Pakistan are refusing to play in any match,where umpire Darrell Hair will stand.What is it with this team,just who do they think they are? :angry: :albion:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Leekbrookgull said:
So now Pakistan are refusing to play in any match,where umpire Darrell Hair will stand.What is it with this team,just who do they think they are? :angry: :albion:

It is irrelevant. Hair's ICC contract is up this year anyway, and will not be renewed.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
So who will replace him? Does it have to be an Aussie? I presume so.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Wanderer said:
So who will replace him? Does it have to be an Aussie? I presume so.

I don't think that is actually the case, but it is likely that it will be anyway.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Grendel said:
Given that Hair has a history of giving shit decisions against them, it isn't suprising.

Not just them either, pretty much anybody with a tan.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
At least he is willing to stick his neck out, I am not saying that he is always correct, however, I'd hate to think that others will turn a blind eye for fear of getting the heave-ho

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
At least he called Muralitharan a chucker and stood by his beliefs. Yet Kirtley,s career has almost been ruined by people calling him a chucker,infact many would say he is not the bowler he was.:angry: :albion:

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Leekbrookgull said:
Surely the point here is,no country can dictate who they have as umpires? :albion:

To a degree, yes, I think that the ICC seriously have to consider whether Hair is permitted to officiate in any future match involving them. I certainly can't see him umpiring a test match on the sub-continent again, if only for his own safety.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Leekbrookgull said:
At least he called Muralitharan a chucker and stood by his beliefs.

Which he did incorrectly - an action that the umpire considers to be suspect should be referred to the match referee at the end of the day's play. The bowler should not be no-balled at the time of the incident.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Leekbrookgull said:
At least he called Muralitharan a chucker and stood by his beliefs.

But once again he let his ego and self-importance get in the way of doing things properly.

He called Murali 7 times in three overs, despite the ICC ruling [at the time] that if an umpire suspected an illegal action, he should report it to the match referee at the close of play, who would then review the footage and decide what action to take.

Sri-lanka left the field in protest, then returned and simply switched Murali to the other end, where the umpire found no cause to call him.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Indeed; no other test umpire has called Murali.

Hair certainly seems to have issues with players of a darker skin.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
Let's hope they appoint some Pakistani umpires for the Ashes, eh?

:lolol:

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Sorry,Glendal. Surely if the umpire is watching a bowler he call no-ball when that ball is bowled not later??

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Leekbrookgull said:
Sorry,Glendal. Surely if the umpire is watching a bowler he call no-ball when that ball is bowled not later??

I take it you have never umpired in a game.

From your position standing up at the stumps the bowler in the delivery stride is only really in your peripheral vision. You have to watch their feet for no-ball transgressions, and then switch your attention immediately down the strip to pick up the flight, then pitch of the delivery.

To call a bowler's action would be all but impossible, unless you were looking in completely the wrong place.

The square leg umpire, on the other hand, has a pretty good view of the action and ought to be consulted by the standing umpire before any decision were taken to refer the matter upwards to the match referee.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
hans kraay fan club said:
I take it you have never umpired in a game.

From your position standing up at the stumps the bowler in the delivery stride is only really in your peripheral vision. You have to watch their feet for no-ball transgressions, and then switch your attention immediately down the strip to pick up the flight, then pitch of the delivery.

To call a bowler's action would be all but impossible, unless you were looking in completely the wrong place.

The square leg umpire, on the other hand, has a pretty good view of the action and ought to be consulted by the standing umpire before any decision were taken to refer the matter upwards to the match referee.

Its the square leg umpire who can call for nb in these circumstances

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here