Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Pakistan-England Test Series

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Every time you think "they can't keep doing this" they go harder and do it. Utter madness. Just brilliant stuff.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
It was absolutely fantastic - from the destructive batting on day one to the nerve-tingling tension at the end and the photo not dissimilar from the classic Oval test in ‘68 though many of you are probably too young to recall RJ Inverarity falling to Deadly Derek. Test cricket thrashes any other form hands down - under Stokes it’s just easier to get other people to appreciate it.
Stunning win for everyone!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
You must be much younger than I was imagining.
I've said it for four years. He will take wickets on any surface. If fit, he is England's McGrath.

He was selected three years later than he should have been. But he's there now.

I can't think of a seamer in my time who has been that reliable. And I go back as far as India 81/82 in my memories of the game.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The declaration was amazing, it required pakistan to think they had a chance even when 5 or 6 down. Sporting declarations usually give a chance only at the outset, lose 2 or 3 wickets they shut up shop. This was so generous it kept pakistan in the game right to the end, which ultimately played into England's hands. They only tried to block at 7 down, which was too late in the end. Well done Stokes.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Credit to England, took a gamble and it paid off. Could have easily taken the draw....

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I've said it for four years. He will take wickets on any surface. If fit, he is England's McGrath.

He was selected three years later than he should have been. But he's there now.

I can't think of a seamer in my time who has been that reliable. And I go back as far as India 81/82 in my memories of the game.
He's great, don't get me wrong. I was questioning the idea that he's in your generation :lolol:
If fit is a fundamental qualification unfortunately, as he's found out since being picked.
It's worth keeping in mind that, in the 3 years preceding Robinson's selection, Broad (who's probably the closest bowler in style in the team at that time) took over 100 wickets at an average of 22.5. It's hardly the worst selection howler from that time.
For that matter, picking players when they're at they're peak (and then immediately dropping them the moment they're starting to drop off) is one of the main advantages Australia have had over England down the years.
I'd still put Anderson over him for reliability in all conditions, incidentally.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
He's great, don't get me wrong. I was questioning the idea that he's in your generation :lolol:
If fit is a fundamental qualification unfortunately, as he's found out since being picked.
It's worth keeping in mind that, in the 3 years preceding Robinson's selection, Broad (who's probably the closest bowler in style in the team at that time) took over 100 wickets at an average of 22.5. It's hardly the worst selection howler from that time.
For that matter, picking players when they're at they're peak (and then immediately dropping them the moment they're starting to drop off) is one of the main advantages Australia have had over England down the years.
I'd still put Anderson over him for reliability in all conditions, incidentally.
The thing with Robinson that I was convinced he would continue to be effective overseas. As you know, it's been an issue with our seamers at times. The search for one who would be effective in any conditions is a problem for most countries. But I always have felt that he was the one. Some were saying he wasn't quick enough, but I don't think that's the issue. McGrath was not very quick. It's not about pace. If I had a choice between a fit Archer and a fit Robinson I go with Robinson. It irks me that some cannot see beyond the speedometer. I'd be happy with both mind. No wonder Sussex are struggling.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
The thing with Robinson that I was convinced he would continue to be effective overseas. As you know, it's been an issue with our seamers at times. The search for one who would be effective in any conditions is a problem for most countries. But I always have felt that he was the one. Some were saying he wasn't quick enough, but I don't think that's the issue. McGrath was not very quick. It's not about pace. If I had a choice between a fit Archer and a fit Robinson I go with Robinson. It irks me that some cannot see beyond the speedometer. I'd be happy with both mind. No wonder Sussex are struggling.
For most of the last few years, England's problem scoring runs overseas has been much worse than our problem taking wickets.
He is great. I think if everybody's fit the bowling attack would ideally be Anderson, Robinson, Wood/Archer depending on the pitch, and Leach.
That does leave a long tail though, I'm not sure it works from a team balance perspective.
Having a genuinely quick (and crucially, actually good) bowler as an option should make everybody else more effective, because it means you can present the batters with different challenges at different points of the innings. It doesn't mean everybody has to bowl at 90mph.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Love this pic

FD3DD4CB-DBC8-4088-A946-E1F39F4B2CB7.jpeg

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
How the hell has Stokes manufactured a positive result on that road?

Undoubtedly the best test match result I've ever seen
Was in Melbourne for the Boxing Day Match 2010-11 when we just pasted them for 99 all out and then were 150 odd for zip by the end of Day 1.

90,000 in the MCG at the start, probably 10,000 at the end - mostly Barmy Army. As well as me, Mrs Jakarta and her Goddaughter who still regards herself as a Pom although she went out there as a child.

Still got copies of the Aussie papers from the end of the game when Ponting was described as the Australia's Worst Captain Ever. Made me realise what the Ashes mean to both countries!

Oh and by the way that is some captaincy by Stokes, backing his bowlers on that strip. Wonder what Pakistan will provide for the 2nd Test?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here