Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paddy the New Football Genius

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How many days of football do you think he's played and all they can come up with is 2 minutes? Yes I think that DEFINES inconsistency does it not?

You could make my NSC postings seem like Shakespeare is you selected my best two efforts from the past decade and totally ignored the rest of the shite I post.

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding
The simple fact is: if Paddy McCourt had application to match his talent, he wouldn't be playing for us (having been released by Barnsley). He'd be in the Premier League somewhere. Anybody who imagines we've suddenly unearthed a gem that nobody else has spotted, at the age of 30 odd, is deluded.

Clearly has bags of tricks & an eye for a pass. But it does occasionally wind me up hearing people singing his name and begging Hyypia to bring him on, as if his mere presence is guaranteed to single handedly change a game.

I understand people want to see a bit of spark, and I share everyone's frustration when the team is lacking creativity out there, as has happened plenty of times lately. I just fear that hailing McCourt as the Messiah, whose mere presence is guaranteed to produce magic & mystery, is misguided and will, on more occasions than not, lead only to disappointment.

(Heard at the weekend that he smokes unheard-of quantities of fags for a footballer- anyone verify?)

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree with the logic in your post. There have been many conversations about what you go to Football for? Your Albion Mojo? What brings you back every week?
I think every team needs a Rodney Thomas, Vicente, Paddy McCourt doesn't it?
The guy who does things that make you phwooarr.... as often as he leaves you exasperated for not tracking back?
Albion will always win, lose or draw and in the grand scheme of things we accept all of these. But to have someone on the pitch that you don't know what he is going to do next.... is one of the reasons we all love Football isn't it....? I know it is for me.

The Stout Yeoman

Master Farter
Aug 14, 2003
59 Le Petomane Boulevard
Watch him warm up.....either during pre-match routines or when gently ambling up and down the line during the game.......never seen anyone look so lazy or disinterested

Seems like a bit of an enigma of a player - obviously has massive amounts of natural talent (we've seen one or two glimpses, including a mazy run into the box yesterday) but he can also appear away with the fairies (also seen yesterday)

You've never seen Casper warm up ?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
You obviously have never played football, coming of the bench is not like starting the game chances are your first few touches wont be amazing.

I did.

Based on your reckoning, is any manager wasting his time making a tactical substitution after 75 minutes?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
True, true. I just don't know how often we can expect to see such skills, or at least not to a genuinely constructive effect. I'm not slating the guy. I just think expectations of him are unrealistic, that's all :)

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding
True, true. I just don't know how often we can expect to see such skills, or at least not to a genuinely constructive effect. I'm not slating the guy. I just think expectations of him are unrealistic, that's all :)

And you would quite probably be absolutely right..... we just haven't got a lot to route for right now, so I can see why people would route for P.Mac :drool:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Paddy needs a fair run in the team, starting each game. When he comes on, he seems to want to prove himself which sometimes leads to over elaborating or, as a consequence, fear of making a mistake. He needs a manager to show some faith in him. And a nurturing cuddle!

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
He was poor on Saturday but then every midfielder apart from Ince was. However against Boro and Blackpool he was our only player with any vision or attacking ability

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
it was don revie who was going to pull him off at half time
if he didn't work hard on the pitch

Whilst Wiki is no definitive guide, in this instance it agrees with me. Probably wrong though.

It has been reported that the England manager Alf Ramsey told him "I'll be watching you for the first 45 minutes and if you don't work harder I'll pull you off at half time," to which Marsh replied: "Crikey, Alf, at Manchester City all we get is an orange and a cup of tea."

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Against Spurs, he was our only player who could actually hold onto the ball without getting dispossessed straight away and go past a player or two. His undoubted talent shone through that night. Against Watford he had an outstanding run/dribble into the box and should have really tested the keeper instead of putting it over the bar. Against Rotherham the same and even on Saturday he had a great run/dribble into the box and tested the keeper. Perhaps at least one of those should have ended in a goal and then we wouldn't be having this debate.

Back to Spurs, he worked hard that night tracking back and helping out Calderon, but clearly that's not his game.

I'm a big fan of his, in case you can't tell, and would love him to start every match, particularly at home.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
One of our most talented players, especially creatively. Was terrible on Saturday, but not too surprising when he only gets 10-20 minutes every other week. When he did get a decent amount of time at Spurs, he was having to play right back as we were so penned back.

Really wish we could fit him in the team more, would go a long way to helping the strikers score some goals. I'm not one of the many calling for us to sign a new striker as to me, it's the system and midfield that's the problem at the moment, not the strikers feeding off scraps.

And saying he's a luxury player we can't afford in our league position, it's hardly working as things stand is it? And as for the consistency worries, no he won't be amazing every week, but then who is. Can't see him being any more hot/cold than Kazenga.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Whilst Wiki is no definitive guide, in this instance it agrees with me. Probably wrong though.

It has been reported that the England manager Alf Ramsey told him "I'll be watching you for the first 45 minutes and if you don't work harder I'll pull you off at half time," to which Marsh replied: "Crikey, Alf, at Manchester City all we get is an orange and a cup of tea."

It was also Sir Alf according to one of the biographies about him. I can't help but think Revie would have laughed at the joke.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Against Spurs, he was our only player who could actually hold onto the ball without getting dispossessed straight away and go past a player or two. His undoubted talent shone through that night. Against Watford he had an outstanding run/dribble into the box and should have really tested the keeper instead of putting it over the bar. Against Rotherham the same and even on Saturday he had a great run/dribble into the box and tested the keeper. Perhaps at least one of those should have ended in a goal and then we wouldn't be having this debate.

Back to Spurs, he worked hard that night tracking back and helping out Calderon, but clearly that's not his game.

I'm a big fan of his, in case you can't tell, and would love him to start every match, particularly at home.

If you were wanting to destroy a player's confidence, Hyypia's treatment of McCourt would be a textbook way to go about it, treating the most creative attacker as an expendable squad player, criticising his defensive play, playing him out of position and mostly bringing him on as a substitute only when the game plan has gone to pot.

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
Paddy is not a great player but he is all we have that can produce that moment of magic which is actually quite sad as it sums up our current predicament.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013

I remember the quote
thought it was revie
but I shall defer to wiki

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
What is his song? Hear it from the North Stand but not clear enough to work out the lyrics..?

The North Stand singers are really struggling with their diction this season. I can't even hear whose Blue and White Army although defo not Sammi's!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here