Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] P and O

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If so then the RMT has some explaining to do to its members:

that is awkward. the linked article didnt specify any actual impacts from Brexit. expect there the general change of use patterns, dramatically distorted by covid. this looks like more general business model problems.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
that is awkward. the linked article didnt specify any actual impacts from Brexit. expect there the general change of use patterns, dramatically distorted by covid. this looks like more general business model problems.

The Brexit/Covid problems hit P&O a year ago

P&O Ferries fighting to stay afloat

The P&O Ferries group is fighting for survival, admitting that there is a material uncertainty it can carry on as a going concern unless it gets fresh capital from its Dubai-based owner and negotiates more concessions from its creditors. The company has been hit by a dearth of passengers because of lockdowns and reduced trade across the Channel during the Brexit transition. Last year it laid off 1,100 people and it says it will continue to require forbearance from creditors.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/p-amp-o-ferries-fighting-to-stay-afloat-sl5rxk6bm

As I said earlier, I suspect that this current situation is a culmination of those ongoing problems, possibly exacerbated by the Russian Sanctions/economic collapse.

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
Feel really sorry for the staff! Imagine going home tonight with all the shit that is going on already in the world and the last few years, knowing on top of that you now don't have a job either! Absolutely gutting. I know nothing about that industry but I can't imagine there are that many alternative jobs you can just walk into when you drive passenger ferries for a living! I hope the board and CEO etc have also taken massive pay cuts although I doubt it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Brexit/Covid problems hit P&O a year ago

P&O Ferries fighting to stay afloat

The P&O Ferries group is fighting for survival, admitting that there is a material uncertainty it can carry on as a going concern unless it gets fresh capital from its Dubai-based owner and negotiates more concessions from its creditors. The company has been hit by a dearth of passengers because of lockdowns and reduced trade across the Channel during the Brexit transition. Last year it laid off 1,100 people and it says it will continue to require forbearance from creditors.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/p-amp-o-ferries-fighting-to-stay-afloat-sl5rxk6bm

As I said earlier, I suspect that this current situation is a culmination of those ongoing problems, possibly exacerbated by the Russian Sanctions/economic collapse.

The will of the people.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The P & O Ferries that we see today, is a mere shadow of the company of not so many years ago. By far their greatest revenue earner was the short sea route from Dover to Calais, where business was reduced massively upon the opening of the Channel Tunnel in the 1990's.

In more recent years of course we have had Brexit, and then the Covid pandemic, all of which have led to a significant shortfall in passenger, vehicle, and freight traffic.

So noone should be surprised that the company is now in dire trouble, though unfortunate of course that so many individuals are losing their jobs through no fault of their own.

Not the first company to take this route though, and l doubt very much that they will be the last, such are modern business methods.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

the Russia link is odd, cant find anything other than parent company links to shipping to Russia. an MP said Russia own a substantial stake, but looks like its wholey Dubai owned? any specfic connections seen?

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
That's why we use the Channel Tunnel. It's quicker and cheaper.

Not up too a few weeks ago it was not. We had vouchers that were expiring, with restrictions lifted and no need to quarantine required, we had to use the vouchers or loose them. We could get crossings cheaper on the ferries than were available for short trip cost on Eurotunnel, but had to use our vouchers.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not up too a few weeks ago it was not. We had vouchers that were expiring, with restrictions lifted and no need to quarantine required, we had to use the vouchers or loose them. We could get crossings cheaper on the ferries than were available for short trip cost on Eurotunnel, but had to use our vouchers.

We tend to book months in advance to get the cheapest prices.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
That's why we use the Channel Tunnel. It's quicker and cheaper.

That somewhat depends on where in France you're going - I'm currently in Loire and going via the tunnel would have added an hour to my drive in the UK and and extra 4+ hours in France. My ticket on DFDS out of Newhaven cost me £100 with early booking - admittedly for a 11pm sailing.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That somewhat depends on where in France you're going - I'm currently in Loire and going via the tunnel would have added an hour to my drive in the UK and and extra 4+ hours in France. My ticket on DFDS out of Newhaven cost me £100 with early booking - admittedly for a 11pm sailing.

We go to the Vendee so it is a long drive but that's part of the holiday for us. Loading and unloading the ferry wastes so much time, and we like the 35 minute zip under the Channel.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Totally unsurprised by their handling of this brutal redundancy. There are limited protections for workers these days, a company can tear up a contract just like that if they want to.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Allegedly the in-coming crew are mainly Asian or South American. Who has been granting these visas to work then ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here