Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oxford

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Uncle Buck said:
He will find you and then it will all go wrong...

I know. I'm just kidding myself.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Uncle Buck said:
The trick is, make him drink 2 bottles of red wine before opening time, then he is no danger to anyone, but himself and maybe the bar stool.

Ah, the old Eaton damage limitation 'sleep' tactic. Good to see you have worked that one out. Can prove extremely useful sometimes.

watsongooal

Jul 7, 2003
Chislehurst
Commander said:
He doesn't know I've changed my number!

He does now

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Right!

First tip - Go for a beer in the Turf Tavern.

Fantastic pub with a large range of Ales. Try and get there early as it tends to get quite busy - but you haven't been to Oxford if you haven't gone to the turf.

http://www.theturftavern.co.uk/

To stay - I would pick one of the many B&Bs, but there are plenty of hotels - a large range of prices.

As MoH says - if you are into culture then have a muse round the Ashmolean and Bodlean. That sort of area is the nicest part of Oxford.

Weather permitting you could try a punt, but they may have closed down for the autumn!

Plenty of colleges to look around in the centre. You may be able to watch a bit of Rugger at the Oxford Uni ground (iffley road) as they usually have a big named opponent (if that floats your boat).

Plenty of the chain restaurants around and I am sure some independants - can't think of any that stand out.

I will get some more info. as a friend still lives there and he will have an up to date view.

Hope this helps.

JonC

Oct 18, 2004
Trufflehound said:
Spent a year at university in Oxford, during which time I became intimately acquainted with pretty much every pub in the city centre (which is the main reason I only lasted a year... :down: ). Was particulalry fond of the Bear and the Turf Tavern. My nearest local, the White Horse next to Blackwells, did a very fine "pickled egg in a bag of crisps" as I recall. The Kings Arms was OK, but a bit full of tourists and old public school types.

However, this was 25 years ago...

Just about sums it up! All pubs mentioned are my locals (Hertford college).

The Turf is a quality pub for a quiet drink in nice surroundings, but all these pubs are expensive (eg £3.10 Stella in K.A).

Plenty of clubs and the pub chains (eg Yates/O'Neills) in the centre, but we tend to stick a lot to the student nights in the cheaper clubs. Want to know anymore, just drop me a PM.

unnameable

Feb 25, 2004
Oxford/Lancing
I live in Oxford. I will be in Lancing (my home town/village) this weekend as I'm attending the Blackpool game. Call me on 07813 815382 if you want advice on where to go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here