Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oxford V London

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Ok, I've kept schtum on my last round of interviews as the ones in Cornwall and Lincoln didn't work out.

So, as of today I have two offers on the table:-

Offer 1) Central Oxford, fairly detailed, nice people, quite stimulating (ooer Mrs), would be able to afford to rent within cycling distance for our family of four.

Offer 2) Central London, Cushyish job, about 5k more than the Oxford one plus extra benefits, stuffy old codgers in charge, no women allowed on premises :eek:, would have to commute in for about 45-60 mins before being able to afford a family home.

Anyone have any experience of living in Oxford, I know plenty on here live in London?

I have until Monday to decide but have to say my initial favourite is the OXford one. I may be wrong but I perceive a better quality of life there although I don't think they have any chinese medicine shops that give massages with a happy ending.

All advice greatfully received. Land back in Blighty early May and will get to see :falmer:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Congratulations rool old son.

I would say Oxford. Cycle to work. Kids with easy access to the Town centre ? Go to Oxford. Just watch out for schools - North Oxford has the schools (and the prices). There is lots going on - and it is just a great place to live (my brother lives there).

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Congratulations.

I'd say Oxford every time - it's a lovely place, small enough to walk and cycle around. Plenty going on and some decent pubs.

Aristotle

Mar 18, 2008
Edinburgh
I've lived in both places (although I was a student in Oxford). For me, quality of life is far superior in Oxford. Has a lot of the same things going for it as Brighton / Sussex do. And you're not far away from London if you want to visit.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Excellent, I thought Oxford might win out but nice to have it confirmed.

Thanks for the congrats, I just have the horrible task of giving my notice Monday.

Ooh DKM, I am viewing a couple of rental properties next weekend but see there are some new builds in the Rosehill area. Looked online and it sounds like a no go zone. Wondered if your brother might know if it is improving?

Thanks again all

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Brother lives in Oxford (has done for 2+ years) after living in London for 3+ years. Loves it there. Keep meaning to go and visit as it sounds so nice.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I live in Oxford, have done for the past ten years.
The good points - cycling into town and to surrounding villages really is a joy, good mix of people, lots of stuff going on (bit like Brighton), good range of pubs, theatres and restaurants
Bad points - some areas are v expensive (city centre, north oxford), it can get overrun with students/tourists, shopping not great

All in all, I would thoroughly recommend. Let me know if you need to know more. Lastly, it's only 1hr 40mins to Falmer (I've already timed it!)

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I studied at Oxford (Brookes) and loved every minute of it and every time I visit the place again I love ever minute of it.

Saying that I wouldn't want to live there, lack of nightlife but would have thought the place was perfect for family living, some cracking pubs as well.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
As for Rosehill - they're regenerating it, but it isn't great. It is better than Barton, Wood Farm and Blackbird Leys which i really would avoid. Worth asking about Cowley, some of the areas off Cowley Road, Holloway, Marston. Nicer but more expensive are Jericho (best part of Oxford), Headington and Iffley

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
I have lived in Oxford since 1998.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Do you guys who live in Oxford tend to go to more home or away matches?

Maybe a few car shares could be worked out

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Good on you.
Hope it goes well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here