Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Overstretched home "owners"

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Agree with you there, it is also down to being bad at prioritising things...first has to come the roof over your head and food on the table...after that everything else is just detail, if you are feeling flush then it is nice clothes/car/holiday...if not, then the luxuries are first to go.

Sadly isn't that what this whole society was encouraging for years and years?

Shops everywhere, adverts, buying things online. It seems like people used consumerism as a substitute for having other interests, activities or hobbies..

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Make the payment (plus all your bills) at the start of the month, in the few days after you have been paid, thus the balance left over is whatever you will have left to feed yourself and have fun with during the remainder of the month...therefore if you are a bit crap at budgeting ahead at least you won't have to worry about meeting your mortgage payment when the money starts running out.

Many, not all, people get into debt because they are either greedy (believe that they should have everything they want now, rather than saving for it), stupid (living well beyond their means) or can't run a budget properly.

Welcome to our world.
3 years ago Woolwich/Barclays were offering a 10 year fixed rate mortgage at 4.something.
We bit their hands off, all untilities direct debted on the 1st each month.
We now have an annual 'house account' sort out, for 2 years the difference, year to year has been a matter of pence, for this year I think we have to pay a fiver more.

No sleepless nights in the Stat house, (well not from money, anyway).

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
To be fair though, everybody sort of assumed the banks knew what they were doing, and were somehow worth their stupid salaries and obscene bonuses, and weren't in fact a bunch of criminally negligent chancers and fuckwits.

D

Deleted User X18H

Welcome to our world.
3 years ago Woolwich/Barclays were offering a 10 year fixed rate mortgage at 4.something.
We bit their hands off, all untilities direct debted on the 1st each month.
We now have an annual 'house account' sort out, for 2 years the difference, year to year has been a matter of pence, for this year I think we have to pay a fiver more.

No sleepless nights in the Stat house, (well not from money, anyway).
Boasting on here about how well,off you are! How very crass!!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
People were sold the dream , own your own house and it will increase in value over the years. They should have taken heed of what has happened to endowment policies not so long back and realised there is a risk to be considered when taking out a mortgage. The shit is going to hit the fans over the next 10-15 years with mortgages reaching maturity but the endowment policies not paying out what was expected leading to massive shortfalls.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west

...I wouldn't exactly describe that as boasting about being well off, maybe a certain degree of gloating about being so organised with his finances...but fair play to him if he has no real worries, there are plenty who could do well to mirror that approach.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
People were sold the dream , own your own house and it will increase in value over the years.

Isn't this home-ownership a uniquely class-based British thing tho? Seem to recall reading somewhere that the vast majority of Germans rent their homes and sleep easy in their beds at night. Why's it always us that's chasing the cheap buck?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Isn't this home-ownership a uniquely class-based British thing tho? Seem to recall reading somewhere that the vast majority of Germans rent their homes and sleep easy in their beds at night. Why's it always us that's chasing the cheap buck?
Thatcher let the working class buy their own council houses in an attempt to convert them into materialistic Tories. The majority of Germans rent their homes happy in the knowledge they enjoy better pay and a higher standard of living than us.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Thatcher let the working class buy their own council houses in an attempt to convert them into materialistic Tories.

That particular ploy was utterly wasted in Scotland tho. Unanimous consensus was 'Cheers for the generous discount. Still not voting for you or your crappy party tho, ya evil bitch :salute: ' :lol:

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
The people who used to lived next door to us had a 125% mortgage as they kept borrowing against their house for this or that or more likely paying off this or that credit card.

No sympathy at all.

I avoid that type of neighbourhood.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Always easy to be wise with hindsight tho eh?

Needs a few bankers to go to jail for crimes against society really.

not really hindsight, it was only 15 years ago this happened before, within the memory of all those who brought in the last few years. Yes the banks were partially (ir)responsible but talk of crimes against society is just senitmental crap unless you will also jail all those that wantonly ran up the debts, spanking it nice cars and holidays. no one actually ever said house prices will go up for ever, people just carried on regardless and didnt ask the awkward question because they didnt want to know.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yes the banks were partially (ir)responsible but talk of crimes against society is just senitmental crap unless you will also jail all those that wantonly ran up the debts, spanking it nice cars and holidays.

Bollocks. A few years down the line, completely blameless pensioners will end up having to work til they're 72 due to these c unts. Like I say a crime against society. Could be argued that the banking sector has caused more overall harm to the fabric of British society than Al Qaeda ever managed. Not in terms of physical injury, obviously, but in terms of irreversibly destabilisng our way of life.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

That would only make sense if I WASN'T a postie.
I was merely agreeing with Gully, along the lines of 'you makes your bed, yous lay in it'.
Nobody, other than probably Sarah Beany, forced these people into doubling their mortgage, to a point they could no longer afford, and to a point beyond the value of the house.
They could have been happy with what they had, and lived their lives within their means.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Bollocks. A few years down the line, completely blameless pensioners will end up having to work til they're 72 due to these c unts.

bollocks back to you. who are the shareholders? the pension funds. banking sector just provided us with what we all wanted, why cant you accept that instead of having to lay blame on one small group? irreversible damge? crap. oh, never mind, its a crime against humanity, lets bring down the whole of the economic system we have and just go back to living off the land. no worries about pensioners then, few will live that long.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I have no sympathy for the first couple. They kept taking more and more on their mortgage. It's their own fault.

The second lot on one hand the whole "nobody told us about house prices falling is a cop out", on the other hand the issue there is that her relationship fell apart, that's not exactly something you can always predict. If he was still with her they'd have no problem paying it off.

The third is largely poor timing, but also symptomatic of what led to the credit melt down. People were offered mortgages they wouldn't have been, apparently. I keep hearing about how mortgages used to be, where if you only had to pay a third of the value was a good deal, now lots of people pay as little as 10% and their income isn't even factored in.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Bollocks. A few years down the line, completely blameless pensioners will end up having to work til they're 72 due to these c unts. Like I say a crime against society. Could be argued that the banking sector has caused more overall harm to the fabric of British society than Al Qaeda ever managed. Not in terms of physical injury, obviously, but in terms of irreversibly destabilisng our way of life.

Would the fact that people are healthy enough to work until they're 72 be an indication of the damage an improved way of life and better health care has done to society?

The other side of the pension coin is people living longer, needing more pension support than ever before.

D

Deleted User X18H

That would only make sense if I WASN'T a postie.
I was merely agreeing with Gully, along the lines of 'you makes your bed, yous lay in it'.
Nobody, other than probably Sarah Beany, forced these people into doubling their mortgage, to a point they could no longer afford, and to a point beyond the value of the house.
They could have been happy with what they had, and lived their lives within their means.[

I was being ironic mate if I had posted that I 'd have been shot down the truth is we have lived within our means haven't been flash worked hard (until recently) and saved. Consequently we can now both afford to take an extended career break to nuture our family. Oh and the unspecified amount I got from my last employer helps.

Well done to you!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I am pretty sure that the old age pension, in its current form, won't exist by the time I am old enough to draw it...it will probably be means tested, so anyone with even a fairly average occupational pension won't qualify for it...there is no way that I wan't to work until I am 72 before retiring.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No worries HB&B.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here