Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Over run in midfield

flint

Jul 9, 2003
eastbourne
There were times today when we were 2nd best in midfield today. Boro seemed stronger so we did well to get the draw. We let Robson run the show.
Not a criticism as the players have exceeded all realistic hopes this season but shows how strong we need to be in all areas if we are to go up.
Well done to all the players and those behind them

Upper Library

Feb 25, 2011
Worthing
Agree. Boro moved the ball well at times - but like you say this is not a criticism of us. All good learning experiences. Really impressed by the way we didin't let our heads drop after they scored - not just the players but us fans kept the faith. All in all an enjoyable game played by 2 very good teams........definately would have taken this at the begining of the season!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
There were times today when we were 2nd best in midfield today. Boro seemed stronger so we did well to get the draw. We let Robson run the show.
Not a criticism as the players have exceeded all realistic hopes this season but shows how strong we need to be in all areas if we are to go up.
Well done to all the players and those behind them

Agreed and credit due to Boro - good team who I think we'd really struggle against if we faced them in play offs.

Also felt this game was notable for being one of the first games ever at the Amex where our team looked PROPERLY knackered towards the end.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Everyone's mentioning robson but I felt their number ten bailey was their best player despite picking up a early yellow card. Middlesborough were a good side one of the better ones to visit the Amex so a decent point won. Felt bridcutt and Navarro both had good games albeit bridcutt seemed a little off pace second half.

We were overrun at times but that's what happens when you play against good teams with players experienced in the top flight.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Been saying in for ages that we need quality CM's to dominate there,what do people expect when you have two defensive midfielders playing?

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
Agreeing with the above posts. Any time we have struggled this season it has been the midfield area that has been exposed. The way we play we need very good ball players centrally. Not to criticise our current crop of course but you only have to look at what Modric brings to the Spurs team to see how a top ball player can control possession and dictate the tempo of the game.

Last edited:

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
They were quick to close us down, we needed to move the ball faster in the 2nd half, we carved them open with some lovely Vicente play in the i1st half. But they closed us down in the 2nd and we didn't move the ball quick enough in midfield and kept getting caught. I thought Vicente should have moved out wide because we were too narrow and he didn't get much time on the ball. Although Navs played well, he misplaced a few passes and that's when their midfield took over. We looked better after our subs but CMS just replaced Barnes in every way, doing the same job, the shape of the team didn't change, I would have liked to seen CMS push up next to Vokes and use Vicente to thread balls for macca to run onto. Shame but in the last 10, we dropped deeper and the fullbacks started hitting it long to vokes, who was losing out on headers and no one near him to pick up the 2nd balls. Still I know boro nullified our threats by threatening themselves so some of our more attacking players were doing defensive jobs.
All in all a decent game, we should have been I front at half time, especially with 5 shots on target in the 1st half, if that would have happened I think we'd have won as they came out to equalise and creates more space but we didn't and gotta be happy with a draw.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
4-3-3 for the Brave

I don't think we should go OTT about their midfield. Playing 4-3-3 against 4-4-2 and the other side has an extra man in the middle. This presents a problem playing out of defence as well. 4-4-2 is highly effective but there is a tendency to draw games. With three points for a win it is better to win one and lose one than two draws.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
i know one thing for sure, Dickers introduction to this season should be put on hold until next year. im thinking hes just on the bench to get him back int the swing of things. he shouldnt be brought back anytime in the next month, rusty players will kill our ambitions for promotion.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I don't think we should go OTT about their midfield. Playing 4-3-3 against 4-4-2 and the other side has an extra man in the middle. This presents a problem playing out of defence as well. 4-4-2 is highly effective but there is a tendency to draw games. With three points for a win it is better to win one and lose one than two draws.

We don't play 4-3-3 we play a 4-5-1 we try to overload the middle of the park and keep possession we sacrifice a 2nd winger to enable us to dominate the midfield and we loose Barnes in his most effective role by asking him to plug gaps in midfield. We have 3 arguably 4 players who occupy the centre of midfield and we still didn't dominate

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
i know one thing for sure, Dickers introduction to this season should be put on hold until next year. im thinking hes just on the bench to get him back int the swing of things. he shouldnt be brought back anytime in the next month, rusty players will kill our ambitions for promotion.

Couldn't disagree more with that. Was disappointed he didn't get a run out; thought is passing was just what the doctor ordered yesterday.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Been saying in for ages that we need quality CM's to dominate there,what do people expect when you have two defensive midfielders playing?

this is right. with navs and bridcutt playing in same team we effectively have a back six leaving a big hole in the middle of midfield. with bridcutt now suspended i am hoping Gus will play razak instead, but i aint holding my breath.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
We gave them the initiative by dropping Lua Lua. In the last home game there were only two players on the park, him & Vicente & the visitors were shot to pieces.
Then we can attack with both on the left, they have split coverage & can't cope and are immed on the backfoot.
Why Gus again drops the previous home MOM for the next home game is beyond belief (esp since
Buckley back from a virus never gonna nake 90) leaving them with soare capacity to mark V out of the game
Lua Lua not brought on AGAIN (see Cardiff) until we're losing & AGAIN we win the 'part game' with him on the pitch
Why can't Poyet see that playing both V & LL at home together is an absolute no brainer & the best left side in the divsion. Tinker elsewhere

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

If we have Dicker on the bench just to get him into the swing of things, doesn't that limit our options? There are already some very good players who can't make the bench.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Probably too pricey for us but if gus is going to keep his "defending attacker" role (ie the Barnes role) Emnes loos like he would be superb in that position. His scoring rate is not brilliant and was out of favour but has come good this season.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
this is right. with navs and bridcutt playing in same team we effectively have a back six leaving a big hole in the middle of midfield. with bridcutt now suspended i am hoping Gus will play razak instead, but i aint holding my breath.

Yes unfortunately Gus will probably replace Bridcutt with Vincelot (or maybe Jara Reyes). He's so defensive minded you never know he might even go with El Adb and bring Dunk back into CB.

I do feel we're missing something by having someone as potentially commanding in CM as Razak available but never being picked.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Probably too pricey for us but if gus is going to keep his "defending attacker" role (ie the Barnes role) Emnes loos like he would be superb in that position. His scoring rate is not brilliant and was out of favour but has come good this season.

Could Macca play this pick up and carry role?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here