Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

(over 40's only) Your favourite album of the year so far?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
For me it has to be The Final Frontier by Iron Maiden. It has all the usual Maiden trademarks but perhaps a more multi layered prog rock feel. Perhaps not as instantly accessible as previous some of the classic 80s albums its a slow burner but gets better on every listen.

As it went straight to NO.1 in 20 countries its proven to be a huge hit and the fanbase is not just the over 40's punk:

charlieoatway

through thin and thin
Aug 22, 2009
Bristol
I'm 39 and would say that my music taste has got more diverse as I have got older and that I totally devour music now it is so easy to listen to and get hold of.

Rarely listen to anything older than 6 months old, get to loads of gigs in Bristol also a great place for bands.

Have not got a lot of albums more single tracks would say my top albums so far have been.

Field Music : Field Music
Kele : The Boxer
Steve Mason : Boys Outside
Crystal Castles : Crystal Castles II
The Besnard Lakes : The Besnard Lakes Are The Roaring Night
Holy f*** : Latin

These would be albums I go back to listen to over and over

Looking forward to the new album from 'Warpaint' out in a couple of weeks.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
This is a good thread, we should have more like it...if you are under 40, please move along, this is not for you!

GrahamH65

May 19, 2009
Renegades - Feeder. Brilliant stuff. Seeing them live later this month.
Also Selected - Recoil (former Depeche Mode man Alan Wilder).

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
I cannot understand why SOME people over a certain age decide they will not listen to the new stuff and stick to the same old 'safe' bands they have always liked, not that i am accusing anyone here of doing that but it happens alot. No excuse these days, there is such a broad diverse music scene that there is something new for everyone being released all the time. My mate still listens to stuff from 20 odd yrs ago, i just find that weird personally
I'm with you there mate, this 46 year old repeats....

For me, it's betwixt these gems;
Space Invadas - Soul:Fi
LCD Soundsytem - This Is Happening
Plan B - The Defamation of Strickland Banks
The Beautiful Girls - Spooks
Kele - The Boxer
Columbo - Saviour Number 4
Skream - Outside The Box / Skreamism

It's a toss up between Space Invadas, LCD Soundsytem, Plan B and Skream for me, although having listened to the 30 seconds snippets of Killing Joke's new one Absolute Descent on itunes after all the rave reviews on here I think I'm going to have to buy that one too.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
I'm with you there mate, this 46 year old repeats....

For me, it's betwixt these gems;
Space Invadas - Soul:Fi
LCD Soundsytem - This Is Happening
Plan B - The Defamation of Strickland Banks
The Beautiful Girls - Spooks
Kele - The Boxer
Columbo - Saviour Number 4
Skream - Outside The Box / Skreamism

It's a toss up between Space Invadas, LCD Soundsytem, Plan B and Skream for me, although having listened to the 30 seconds snippets of Killing Joke's new one Absolute Descent on itunes after all the rave reviews on here I think I'm going to have to buy that one too.
oops, tad premature again, whilst I agree with AvS that you should always be on the look out for new stuff and that there is great new nusic out there if you can sift through all the white noise, I do tend to listen to more 70's and 80's music thatn anything else.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Arcade Fire - The suburbs
or These New Puritans - Hidden

With honourable mentions to Hot Chip, Grinderman, LCD Soundsystem, Gogol Bordello, Holy f***...

I suspect These New Puritans is the one I'll still be listening to in another 30 years.

Last edited:

albionant

Aug 29, 2007
Paul Weller - Wake up the nation.

Quite possibly his best, and certainly his most eclectic album since The Jam's, Sound Affects in 1980.

I'm a big Weller fan, go to a lot of his gigs, got everything he's done and pretty much liked all of it but ‘Wake up the Nation’ is shocking, it’s a case of the emperor’s new clothes. But hay ho, wouldn’t it be crap if we all liked the same thing !

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Come Around Sundown - Kings of Leon

What little I've heard sounds exactly like the last one, are you telling me that they are not one trick ponies? Didn't think the album was even released yet?

This is a good thread, we should have more like it...if you are under 40, please move along, this is not for you!

Seconded, think we are all a bit spoiled these days. I am a big Spotify fan being a home worker and I get both "Mojo" and "Uncut" and scan the reviews and note anything that is worth a listen to hunt out on there.

I haven't had a "Stereo system" for many years, listening on the laptop thro' it's own speakers (strangely my wifes laptop although old and crap has far better sound quality), Radio 2 in the kitchen and car. Appreciate that sound quality is approaching pants level but I recall the words of (I think) Berry Gordy who said that Motown hits were designed so that they would sound good even if coming out of a cheap car radio tuned to medium wave with a poor signal.

For the record I am currently listening to the new Robert Plant album having just listened to the new Manics album. Other stuff of recent interest is "Junky Star" by Ryan Bingham and "Hedonism" by Bellowhead.

Unexpected treasures that I have unearthed during "Spotifying" are a couple of albums by Swing out Sister (honestly!) "Where our love grows" and "Beautiful mess" and a couple by Black Box Recorder "Passionoia" and "The facts of life" - love her voice and lyrics - "Andrew Ridgely" is a fave song of mine, the only one I know of that manages to mention negative equity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here