Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

(over 40's only) Your favourite album of the year so far?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Just had a look at the other thread re best album of the year and I don' think I've heard of a single band let alone any of the albums :lolol:

Not sure that I trust these young guns taste in music so I thought I'd get the thoughts of the more mature NSCers!

For my part, apart from old albums I'm downloading from itunes I guess it would be

Jackson Browne and David Lindley - Love is Strange. A live recording of various concerts in Spain. Return to form for the maestro imo.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I think Mumford and Sons was last year otherwise they would win hands down

Very excited about the new Manics album and new Feeder effor due out soon

Stornoway would be in the running too.

Sep 1, 2010
I cannot understand why SOME people over a certain age decide they will not listen to the new stuff and stick to the same old 'safe' bands they have always liked, not that i am accusing anyone here of doing that but it happens alot. No excuse these days, there is such a broad diverse music scene that there is something new for everyone being released all the time. My mate still listens to stuff from 20 odd yrs ago, i just find that weird personally

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I cannot understand why SOME people over a certain age decide they will not listen to the new stuff and stick to the same old 'safe' bands they have always liked, not that i am accusing anyone here of doing that but it happens alot. No excuse these days, there is such a broad diverse music scene that there is something new for everyone being released all the time. My mate still listens to stuff from 20 odd yrs ago, i just find that weird personally

It is easy to do, but I agree it's just that so much highly rated modern music sounds like a cacophany to my ears that I tend to listen expecting not to like. It may be me but often the recordings sound like they are deliberately made to sound "rough" rather than clear and studio produced.

In short I can't really tell from listening on my laptops speakers what an album actually sounds like on a decent stereo, and quite a few things that sound shit on a laptop with not very good speakers sound fantastic on a decent stereo.

The Mumford and Sons record mentioned above I heard about a year ago and thought it was shite, I still feel the same way but they were one of the highlights of Glastonbury??

Of course there is some excellent music being made at the moment but a lot of what young NSC raves about does nothing for me at all :shrug:
Are you gonna make a recommendation to an old fogey who likes acoustic music/country rock and HATES any form of rap or saccarine pop music??

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton

One of the problems i find as i get older is that i've heard it all before. So to take the latest 60's revival if it's the first time you've experienced it then it's easier to get excited, but i'm on to my third or fourth 60's revival now so it's a bit old hat.

Sep 1, 2010
One of the problems i find as i get older is that i've heard it all before. So to take the latest 60's revival if it's the first time you've experienced it then it's easier to get excited, but i'm on to my third or fourth 60's revival now so it's a bit old hat.

That is the thing though, you THINK you have heard it all before, but every song/Band has it's own merits. Yrs ago, there was a particular type of music that was the 'In' thing, nowadays anything goes i think. I think music has never been more diverse and interesting

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I quite liked that band on Jools Holland after Katie Melliu ( sp?) The one from California. they were ok. Woudlnt necessarily buy their album though.

I am not sure if it is this year, but the best Album I have bought which is modernish was the last one by Paulo Ntini ( the famous SA Fast bowler) The One with "ten out of ten" on it.
That was ace.

I did buy the Berlin Philarmonic's version of Beethoven's 9th, recorded in April 2010 so I could practice the Choral bit in the last movement, "Ode to Joy" in German!

Does that count?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Sep 1, 2010
Both, Beck I could get to like I think, Penate sounded a bit like a novelty singer on the basis of the one song

Beck is very diverse, every album has a different sound, he is quality IMO but you may not like all of his stuff due to him having such wide and varied influences

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Have to admit that I haven't bought any albums yet this year, though I did pick up a few CD's during my travels to South America earlier this years, couldn't get enough of Argentine electro-tango!

However, I do have a couple saved in my basket on Amazon just waiting to become my next boredom purchase, these are Flaws by Bombay Bicycle Club and I speak because I can by Laura Marling.

I agree with the comment above, why should we stick with tried and tested bands just because we are over 40...that would be a terrible waste of a lot of decent music. Sad to think that a lot of people don't own a hi-fi anymore, preferring to listen on an i-pod or from a lap-top...they really are missing out on a lot of musical enjoyment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here