Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our worst ever Loan signing?

DannyBhoy

Jul 5, 2003
Burwash, East Sussex
Don Tmatter said:
What did he contribute? how many goals & assists?

Its not always about that, its also about the effort players put into a game.

i mean look at harty for example similar to yeates (can be used as a striker or winger/attacking midfielder) and he dont always chip in with the goals but his work rate is tremendous!!

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
There were 2 issues with Yeates. I thought that the first was the fact that he was that he had a better footballing brain than your standard second division clogger that he was playing with. He would be playing balls that were obvious to him, but those around him were not reading the game properly.

The other problem was he had a touch of the Barratt's and could not score. This meant he was starting to take stupid shots in the hope of getting a goal.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Yeates in my opinion was class and clearly too good for those players around him who quite simply were too poor to react to the passes and touches that Yeates was knocking.

Valur Gislason was terrible. He came from Arsenal and was supposedly some sort of Icelandic U21 international. Couldn't pass, couldn't tackle and made those around him - I.e Michael Bennett, Richie Barker, Gary Hobson etc - look like world beaters.

However, Mahoney-Johnson was as bad but he also mouthed off about being too good to play for a team in the bottom division. Where are you now, you untalented tosser?

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
Don Tmatter said:
Ashley Neal
Michael Mahoney-Johnson
Valur Gislason
Or Mark Yeates and Graham Barrett.

Barret wasn't a bad player, he just couldn't score goals. Rest of his game was quite good - is he not playing as a winger for coventry now?? Would seem like his natural position

Yeates was good - just didn't fit in with the rest of the team.

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton
At least Ashley Neal and Christer Warren generally managed to last the whole 90 minutes.

My vote goes for Adekola in the same season, cant remember his first name, which just about says it all...

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Bury fans LOVE David Adekola!

"Anyone privileged enough to have seen "Chicken legs" Adekola in his brief spell at Bury can't fail to have taken the Nigerian star to their hearts. With a smile wider than the gap in Dave Felgate's hands, Super Ad was the epitome of a cult hero - all arms and legs, the scorer of truly memorable goals, and a player who genuinely loved the fans.

When Adekola arrived at Gigg, it was a bit of a sensation. Here was a man who was apparently a legend in Nigeria and a star with Cannes, yet in later years it was discovered that in fact a lot of the things we thought we knew about Adekola were completely fictitious - there was a wonderful article in the Daily Telegraph about this once!

Back to the football though … Ad made his debut in January 1993, and his arrival sparked the Shakers into a great run of form which saw them win 9 games out of 10. Adekola was scoring goals for fun, 7 in a 5 game spell which included one of the best hat-tricks we've seen, at Scarborough - the celebrations with the Bury fans spilled over but it was an absolutely incredible day!

Having missed out in the play-offs to York, Bury began 1993/94 with high hopes, and Adekola's fans hoped for more magic. Unfortunately it was to be an injury plagued season for the Nigerian, but he managed 4 goals from his 7 starts (plus 12 appearances from the bench).

One of my personal fondest memories of Adekola came after he had joined Wigan. He returned to Gigg Lane with the Latics and, having run onto the pitch at the start of the game, he completely ignored the Wigan fans, ran over to the South Stand, beaming and waving, and the ground just rose to cheer him - it was magic, and it's hard to believe we'd do that with many players.

A real legend, Super Ad was probably the biggest cult hero we've ever seen at Bury. I hope we see his like again."

I only have dim memories of his "blistering" 45 minute debut alongside Christer Warren at the Goldstone. Was it against Cambridge?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here