Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our strongest team

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
With everyone fit, who do you think Gus sees as the strongest 1-11 team?

Obviously, this is hypothetical. Gus has often said there is more to the game than just the starting line up, and you have to consider the importance of having good options off the bench. But MEH, I think it will be interesting to see what people think. I am going to throw a cog in the works but not including Vicente in my 11.

Kuszczak
Bruno Greer El-Abd Bridge
Brdicutt Dicker
Buckley Crofts Barnes
Mackail-Smith​

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I think Vicente & Buckley for Noone & Dicker would be Gus' ideal 1st XI, but having said that he seems to want to play Vicente further forward than last season as one of the front 3, if not as a false 9, so it may be that he's going to choose three from Vicente/Buckley/LuaLua/Noone/Barnes/CMS. For me:

Kuszczak
Bridcutt
Crofts Vicente
Buckley CMS Barnes

Subs: Brezovan, Dunk, Calderon, Dicker, LuaLua, Noone, Agdestein​

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Kuszczak
Bridcutt
Crofts Vicente
Buckley CMS Barnes

This would be my choice too, but I'm guessing Gus would want to fit Dicker in there somewhere.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Kuzcszak
Bruno, Greer, Dunk, Bridge
Buckley, Crofts, Bridcutt, Lualua
Barnes, CMS

I'm assuming that Vicente is out injured

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012

Obviously, this is hypothetical. Gus has often said there is more to the game than just the starting line up, and you have to consider the importance of having good options off the bench. But MEH, I think it will be interesting to see what people think. I am going to throw a cog in the works but not including Vicente in my 11.

Kuszczak
Brdicutt Dicker
Buckley Crofts Barnes
Mackail-Smith​

Why didn't you include Vicente?

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK

Kuszczak
Brdicutt Dicker
Buckley Crofts Barnes
Mackail-Smith​

Where is Vicente??

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Why didn't you include Vicente?

Where is Vicente??

I think we're a stronger team without him. I love Vicente as much as the next person, but maybe we would be better served bringing him off the bench after 60 minutes to change the game in our favour. We still haven't worked out how best to use him from the start, and playing him as the main striker isn't going to change that.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I think we're a stronger team without him. I love Vicente as much as the next person, but maybe we would be better served bringing him off the bench after 60 minutes to change the game in our favour. We still haven't worked out how best to use him from the start, and playing him as the main striker isn't going to change that.

How can replacing Dicker with Vicente in that line up end up with anything less than a stronger team?

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
--------Kuszczak--------
Bruno- Greer-ElAbd-Bridge
Buckley--Bridicutt--Crofts--KLL
---MackailSmith-Barnes-------

Hatman1234

Aug 24, 2011
In a crater in the sea.

It's like this and like that and like this and er.

Agree.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011

You should be on the stage. loool Quality.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I think Vicente & Buckley for Noone & Dicker would be Gus' ideal 1st XI, but having said that he seems to want to play Vicente further forward than last season as one of the front 3, if not as a false 9, so it may be that he's going to choose three from Vicente/Buckley/LuaLua/Noone/Barnes/CMS. For me:

Kuszczak
Bridcutt
Crofts Vicente
Buckley CMS Barnes

This is definately it for me. I always envisaged Dicker as almost keeping a spot in the team warm until Vicente and Crofts were fit enough to start together and CMS and buckley returned from injury.

The back 6 (including Bridcutt) are a given now I feel. As is Crofts, Barnes and CMS. Buckley, Noone, Vicente, Dicker and Lua Lua will fight it out for the remaining 2 spots with Vicente and Buckley the likely winners and the latter under pressure from Noone at the moment.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
This is definately it for me. I always envisaged Dicker as almost keeping a spot in the team warm until Vicente and Crofts were fit enough to start together and CMS and buckley returned from injury.

The back 6 (including Bridcutt) are a given now I feel. As is Crofts, Barnes and CMS. Buckley, Noone, Vicente, Dicker and Lua Lua will fight it out for the remaining 2 spots with Vicente and Buckley the likely winners and the latter under pressure from Noone at the moment.

I guess everyone is trying to pick a starting eleven the way Gus likes to set up.

Personally i'm not the greatest fan of the defensive style that Gus employs, but that doesnt mean i think he's wrong, its just my opinion.

With the players we have available to us this would be my starting choice.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Kooshack>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Bruno>>>>>>>>>>EL Abd>>>>>>>>Greer>>>>>>>>>Bridge
Buckely>>>>>>>Bridcutt>>>>>>>>>Crofts>>>>>>>>>Noone
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Vicente>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Barnes>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Subs: CMS,Toby,Sparrow,Dunk,Calderon

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
You should be on the stage. loool Quality.

Do you understand the concept of "team game"? The best individuals don't always make for the best team. I love Vicente, but it's a clear fact we haven't worked out how to best to use him from the start of games. We look much better as a team when he's not playing. But I don't really care, I love watching Vicente play, he is sublimely gifted.

How can replacing Dicker with Vicente in that line up end up with anything less than a stronger team?

Team game. Real Madrid and Barcelona are easily the best teams in the world and they have the players in the team to do the defensive job and without question, Ronaldo and Messi wouldn't score the goals they do without the job that players like Lassana Diarra, Sami Khedira, Xabi Alonso, Sergio Busquets and Javier Mascherano to underpin the whole thing. I like Gary Dicker, I understand the job he does for the team and how he does it.

It's like this and like that and like this and er.

Agree.

You and me are going to get on well. :thumbsup:

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Do you understand the concept of "team game"? The best individuals don't always make for the best team. I love Vicente, but it's a clear fact we haven't worked out how to best to use him from the start of games. We look much better as a team when he's not playing. But I don't really care, I love watching Vicente play, he is sublimely gifted.

Team game. Real Madrid and Barcelona are easily the best teams in the world and they have the players in the team to do the defensive job and without question, Ronaldo and Messi wouldn't score the goals they do without the job that players like Lassana Diarra, Sami Khedira, Xabi Alonso, Sergio Busquets and Javier Mascherano to underpin the whole thing. I like Gary Dicker, I understand the job he does for the team and how he does it.

You and me are going to get on well. :thumbsup:

this. Underrated IMO - people still remember a slow return from injury but apart from Swindon by all accounts we looked poor as an entire team, he's done a good job this year. Bridcutt is always going Crofts replacement in terms of box to box midfielder and now Crofts is back (thank GOD!!!) we have 2 class box to box CM's and Dicker complements them by his simple but effective passing.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

Kuszczak
Brdicutt Dicker
Buckley Crofts Barnes
Mackail-Smith​

I think he must see Vicente in there. He has worked long and hard to get him available.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here