Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Our scoring problem

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Apart from the obvious striker issue, we lack a player that scares opposition defences. A player who even when having a bad game has an attribute, probably pace to run at a defence or get in behind, that always keeps the opposition with one eye on him and makes their back line sit deep. Izquierdo maybe our last player like that. Lamptey has that pace but its use is sometimes limited from right back. Khadra has showed some glimpses of it. I hope we go for those players in January, but I wont hold my breath.

You and I have vastly different views on Danny Welbeck's pace apparently.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Apart from the obvious striker issue, we lack a player that scares opposition defences. A player who even when having a bad game has an attribute, probably pace to run at a defence or get in behind, that always keeps the opposition with one eye on him and makes their back line sit deep. Izquierdo maybe our last player like that. Lamptey has that pace but its use is sometimes limited from right back. Khadra has showed some glimpses of it. I hope we go for those players in January, but I wont hold my breath.

100% agree with this. The threat of running in behind would create space for everyone else. Even Izquierdo didn’t do that much. Last I can remember doing that regularly is Buckley!

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
100% agree with this. The threat of running in behind would create space for everyone else. Even Izquierdo didn’t do that much. Last I can remember doing that regularly is Buckley!

Mitoma on loan at USG is supposed to be that type of player, hopefully he is!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You and I have vastly different views on Danny Welbeck's pace apparently.

The only reason the club could afford for Welbeck to be here in the first place is due to us taking a punt on his injury status. Sadly that punt isn't really working out. But that was always going to be the risk

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The only reason the club could afford for Welbeck to be here in the first place is due to us taking a punt on his injury status. Sadly that punt isn't really working out. But that was always going to be the risk

Oh, agreed. That's certainly been the case this season. Less so last season: we got six from open play out of him which, for me, was a good return. It might even be the case that there's more to come, as there was a comment that the club have identified the long-term problem with his hamstrings and operated on it. We'll have to wait and see on that front.
Relatedly, I was a little surprised that Welbeck only signed a year's extension to his contract, as I expected there to be interest and more pay/longer contract elsewhere, but you've probably explained that.

Affy

Silent Assassin
Aug 16, 2019
Sussex by the Sea
Is Mitoma being recalled a possibility or do we still have visa issues?

As far as I’m aware there is still the visa issue. It’s done on a points based system if I am correct determined by appearances both deistic and international and the team selling. I’m assuming he will need a couple of years to meet the criteria but I’m not 100%

Affy

Silent Assassin
Aug 16, 2019
Sussex by the Sea
I am a stoic Potter supporter. The quality of our football and general defensive performances are vastly improved. For me, there are times when it all seems too predictable. Sanchez to Dunk, Dunk to Webster/Duffy, out to Lamptey, back to Webster/Duffy, into Biss, back to Dunk, back to Sanchez. We never really seem to pass beyond the “next” available player, no switching flanks. It all seems predictable and unthreatening.

Personally, and I feel Trossard is the weak link. Don’t get me wrong, he’s an excellent player and can dribble brilliantly and score some great goals but he seems to me to want to do too much at times. He can’t just beat a player and pass. He has to turn back and try and beat him again.

There is a lack of urgency to our play which I find frustrating. I’d much rather get out the traps and get a goal or two in the first 20 mins and then knock the ball around at the back. Doing it at 85 minutes when 1-0 down doesn’t help.

I personally think we need a creative midfielder and a finisher. I quite like Josef Martinez in the MLS as a forward but I can’t see it happening. I just don’t see who would be an immediate fit and fix. I suspect we will sign a couple of future potentials in Jan and maybe a fringe player but I can’t see us signing anyone of note.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here