Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our penalty taking is a FARCE

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I can't believe this shite with 5 penalties.......how many points is that wasted!!?

Pens saved v

Oriend (0pts)
Peterborough (0pts)
Southampton (2pts)
FC United (0pts)
Huddersfield (?pts)

Did the penalty miss cost us points? If we'd've scored we would have gone 1-0 up. Despite the penalty miss we went 1-0 up and couldn't hold on to the lead so can we assume we would have kept the lead if we scored the penalty?

Ignoring the reasoning, as I'm sure most of our fans would want to do, then yesterday's saved penalty cost us 1 point. If it had gone in and the rest of the game remained the same, it would have ended 2-2.

So the five penalty misses this season have cost us 3 points at most.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Not at most. In your opinion.

All if's and but's - but 1-0 half-time and another after the break could easily have been game over. At that point we can start our passing.

This is true and a win against Hudds could be worth 6 points at the end of the season (ie 3 more for us and 3 less for them)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Not at most. In your opinion.

All if's and but's - but 1-0 half-time and another after the break could easily have been game over. At that point we can start our passing.

The fairest way of determining the points cost by missed penalties is to leave everything else the same, because it's based on what happened, and isn't individuals trying to guess how a game might have played out. Which, as I said was 3 points.

If you want to rewrite the games completely, then anything goes. If the missed penalty against peterborough goes in, perhaps they get spurred into action and come back to beat us 4-1 and the penalty miss actually won us three points in that situation.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
It's all conjecture. Would we have held on to win at Southampton? Huddersfield may have come back to win yesterday anyway.

More concerning is points dropped through conceding late goals - Rochdale, Bournemouth and Bristol Rovers all scored in the dying seconds at Withdean - that could have been another 6 points in the bag. Tranmere and Hudds both scored late goals against us away - another 3 points dropped. Taking into account our late winner against Oldham, I make that 8 points dropped in total.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here