Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our luck this season......

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
In my opinion I feel we have been very very lucky this season so far. Yes there was the B'mouth disaster and a couple of last gasp goals (some in our favour) but the amount of times we have been let of the hook by teams around us losing when they have the oppurtunity to overtake us or close in on us is crazy, ecspecially as they are against "lesser" sides i.e. sheff wends Exeter Charlton wallsall and Huddersfield losing today on the only game taking place giving us a game in hand and phsycological advantage over them. Hopefully when we end this bad run we won't need to rely on other results, starting on Wednesday please Mr. Poyet. SEAGULLS!!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Cobblers. How is it "lucky" when teams immediately below us lose ? We've gone and BEATEN those teams they lose to to get where we are, so it can hardly be considered fortunate when our rivals slip up against them. Preferable yes - lucky, no.

You don't get top of the table at Christmas through luck.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
There has been an element of luck but as they say you make your own luck and we did that by building up an 8 point lead. We have an opportunity to build a healthy lead by winning the game(s) in hand and setting ourselves up nicely for 2011

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Youre right, I cant believe how lucky we've been - dodgy penalty against Rochdale. dodgy penalty against Bournemouth , LuaLua breaking his leg.... yes the gods have been truly smiling on us!

Last edited:

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
Youre right, I cant believe how lucky we've been - dodgy penalty against Rochdale. dogy penalty against Bournemouth , LuaLua breaking his leg.... yes the gods have been truly smiling on us!

Lucky to miss a penalty against Southampton, lucky to miss a penalty vs Huddersfield, lucky to lose 1-0 to Sheff Wednesday when they should have had a man sent off 1st half...

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Lucky to miss a penalty against Southampton, lucky to miss a penalty vs Huddersfield, lucky to lose 1-0 to Sheff Wednesday when they should have had a man sent off 1st half...

lucky to score 2 own goals against Bristol Rovers, lucky Navarro did his cruciate.......

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I just don't buy this "lucky they lost against so-and-so" lark. We raped Exeter a couple of months ago and should have won by 6 or 7. Then Wednesday go there and the Grecians carved them a new arsehole. OK I know we were at home but its not like we're overly shabby on the road anyway.

We absolutely deserve to be top because out of 24 teams we've won more than half our games (10 out of 19), lost the least games (3), and conceded the least goals (15).

Don't talk to me about LUCK !

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Does anyone know how many points we could have got and be on had we not conceded late goals in the last 5 to 10 minutes, and scored all the penalties?

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Im not saying we don't deserve to be at the top, of course we do, thats why we are there but if teams like wednesday and charlton won their games we certainly wouldn't be top right now.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Im not saying we don't deserve to be at the top, of course we do, thats why we are there but if teams like wednesday and charlton won their games we certainly wouldn't be top right now.

That's not luck though is it, they just haven't been as consistent as us which is why we are top and they're not.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As a great man once said:

"...and if me granny had balls, she'd be me grandah"

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
If Sandaza hadn't been where he was or there was a different angle on the deflection during the melee, we might not have hit the top spot.

If Charlton had scored with one of their efforts, just before half time, we might not have gone on to win the match or we might have won 7-2, for example.

If Calderon had signed for Southampton, we may not be top of the league. However, another player would have filled in and we might be 17 or 4 or 6 or 8 (ad finitum) points clear.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007

Sorry, but what a load of tosh.
If Blackpool won their games, they'd be top of the Premiership, If Scunthorpe won their games, they'd be top of the Championship.
Thing is, they havent, Charlton and Wednesday have lost more games than us and havent been consistent. Thats not luck, thats us being better than them so far this season.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
We have been lucky. We've had a few penalties given in our favour that have been dodgy. We've had teams around us lose, which has nothing to do with us but does go in our favour. We'd not picked up any major injuries, until LuaLua and look how we've done since he got injured. I'm not saying it's ALL down to luck, it's clearly not. We were unlucky not to thrash Peterborough even heavier on the day, and Charlton were just blown away. But it's not been all brilliant football and stylish wins.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Does anyone know how many points we could have got and be on had we not conceded late goals in the last 5 to 10 minutes, and scored all the penalties?

If we had scored the penalties, the entire game would be different. We may have gone on to score more, we may have grown complacent, so, it's hard to say one way or another how many points the penalty misses have cost us. If we say that everything else about the game stays the same we have lost 4 points due to penalty misses (0-0 v southampton would be 1-0 win, 2-1 loss to huddersfield would be 2-2 draw - other misses were cup games or wins).

As for last ten minutes, if our games ended on 80mins we would have 7 points more.

dropped
2 v rochdale
2 v tranmere
2 v bournemouth
2 v Bristol
1 v Huddersfield

Gained
2 v Oldham

If we combine both penalties missed and goals conceded in the last ten minutes, we get 12 points. (If we scored the penalty v Huddersfield we'd've been 2-1 up on 80mins giving us three for that game, plus the three v southampton, plus the 8 dropped in the last ten minutes in other games, minus the two gained v oldham).

That would leave us on 48 points. 50 points if we're only discounting goals conceded in the last 10 minutes, and keeping the goals we scored in the last ten minutes.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Consistency is the key to winning the league and we have been more consistent than the other teams. Luck has nothing to do with it.
It seems the cognescenti are wrong.

v v v v v v v v v v v v v vv v v v

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here