Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Our biggest sicknotes .

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The away game at Reading when he made a return after a long absence was a hoot.

Kitson’ coming on, he’s coming on, he’s coming on....

Was that not the chant? Then I seem to recall Danny Cullip made a point of pointing out his name on the back of his shirt, did he score in that game?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

Was that not the chant? Then I seem to recall Danny Cullip made a point of pointing out his name on the back of his shirt, did he score in that game?

I was wondering that, the memory is a bit cloudy, I remember the chants, but I think he did score, there are many on here that will instantly know the answer to that.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
James Wilson seemed to be a particularly frail and poorly player, just never looked well and was prone to on-pitch projectile vomiting. Still reckon he had glandular fever. Or something else entirely...

He didn't look sporty at all, always carrying a cold with the accompanying Rudolf nose, and an undertaker's suntan.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Rod Thomas, the DJ and occasional footballer

1998–2001, 48 appearances :facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He didn't look sporty at all, always carrying a cold with the accompanying Rudolf nose, and an undertaker's suntan.

He had what I had at the time, sure of it. Fine when sat on the sofa, but blood rushing from head at slighetest exertion, nasal congestion, cough.

Funnily enough I seem to get this most Septembers these days, and it lingers till May. I have it now, as it happens. :annoyed:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He had what I had at the time, sure of it. Fine when sat on the sofa, but blood rushing from head at slighetest exertion, nasal congestion, cough.

Funnily enough I seem to get this most Septembers these days, and it lingers till May. I have it now, as it happens. :annoyed:

I have two or three prolonged annoying colds per winter since we’ve had nippers, as they bring them home from school. They seem to have it bad for a couple of days, properly rest whilst lorded on by waiters mum and dad, then their young bodies are as right as rain. My problem is not truly resting, to nip it it in the bud.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006

He did, was live on Sky too.

[yt]NMi14IH4Azs[/yt]

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Not sure I care for the nuances behind the term 'sick note'.

There are numerous reasons why people are off sick; physical injury , mental health and undoubtedly some small amount of i can't be arsed. I would say Vicente had had some physical injuries but anyone looking at his story will know there were other issues. On balance I think I would say we were lucky to have him even for the few games he played. I think a better man manager might have got a lot more from him.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
He did, was live on Sky too.

[yt]NMi14IH4Azs[/yt]

Brilliant, it's all coming back now, that was one hell of an away game, really funny and then he goes and scores.
I think that was also the game when Reading got their flag out that was the size of a tea towel followed by "What the f******* hell is that," as we unfurled our bigly tremendous flag.
Great day out.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Wasn’t Justin Fashanu a bit of a ‘sicknote’ during his spell here? And Mick Ferguson?

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
I remember a game at the Goldstone when Penney took a particularly nasty tackle, after a bit of treatment played on. About 10 minutes later he’s still limping and comes off. Turned out he had a broken ankle.
My recollection was that it was a 50/50 ball that he went into without committment and dangled his leg in rather than making a proper challenge.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Lualua seemed a bit of a crocker

yeh he was very unlucky with injuries. He'd always seem to get one when he was just getting into a good run of form and it would set him back. Maybe his body couldn't handle him pushing himself too far

Will Hoskins is another one who was very unlucky from the Amex era

but the 3 that I immediately thought of were Vicente, Jason Dodd and Paul Kitson.

Think the difference with Vicente is that we would never in a million years have had a sniff of signing him if he didn't have injury problems, whereas Dodd and Kitson were probably just about at our level

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here