Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

our away support

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Interesting to look back at this thread a year after The Amex opened.

Almost everyone who contributed was pretty sure our Away attedances would increase.

However, many (like myself) after the initial couple of seasons at Withdean, only ever went to Away games.

Now with 2 x STs to pay for, and loving the whole Amex experience, I will probably only go to 4 or 5 aways this season.

Look at Burnley last Saturday.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Always thought it would drop off a bit. Our big away following came from when people refused to go to Gillingham, and then after the first couple of seasons, refused to go to Withdean. I used to do 10 + away games a season and towards the end of the Withdean era I'd only bother with one or two home games. Now I do all of the home games, bar the odd one, and will probably only do the London away games, and the last away game of the season if there is something riding on it

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
My aways will consist of grounds I have not been to plus the London aways and even then not Watford (too far really midweek cant be arsed) and probably only ONE of Palace/Charlton as they are in December and back to back and we have Blackburn away in Dec as well and thats one of my definites.

So

Swindon A (already done)
Millwall A
Wolves A
Palace A OR Charlton A
Blackburn A
Birmingham A (bday celeb for a NSCer)
Bolton A
Weds A
Forest A (maybe if can get to see a client otherwise NO)
Leeds A (last away game)

D

Deleted member 2719

Almost everyone who contributed was pretty sure our Away attedances would increase.

However, many (like myself) after the initial couple of seasons at Withdean, only ever went to Away games.

Now with 2 x STs to pay for, and loving the whole Amex experience, I will probably only go to 4 or 5 aways this season.

Almost but i didn't.:thumbsup:

Anyway have we got any hard stats for last season away matches???

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
AwayFollowing2011-12.gif

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
I stick to 10 away league games a year then a few more if we get a good cup run would go to more if it was just me but my kids love to go so any more than 10 a season gets to expensive

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton

Burnley like Barnsley, is a complete shithole, makes Croydon look like luxury, Burnley support was awesome the entire match. I think this season with some bigger teams coming down from the prem, away attendancies will increase.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Therefore if we look at last season compared to this we have

Hull: c800 v 234 last season (which was the Tuesday after the half and half scarf extravaganza at Anfield so not very comparable)
Burnley 477 v 983

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Burnley like Barnsley, is a complete shithole, makes Croydon look like luxury, Burnley support was awesome the entire match. I think this season with some bigger teams coming down from the prem, away attendancies will increase.

No they won't

We have lost Southampton, Reading, West Ham, Pompey, Doncaster and Coventry, four of those are fairly close to Brighton

They have been replaces with Bolton, Blackburn, Wolves, Sheffield Wendy, Huddersfield and Charlton, of whom only one is close to the Albion

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
So we had the 6th largest following away from home, even the scum manage to take away less than us. All this bollox about their immence following.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
It will drop a little this year compared to last, but it will still be at least on par with what it was in the final Withdean season.

The Hull and Burnley attendances weren't helped by the fact they're both shit-holes and we hadn't won away since February. Like it or not, away form affects the amount of people who turn up, especially when it's anywhere north of the midlands.

D

Deleted member 2719

For the last five seasons our away attendances have been

658 2007/8
705 2008/9
896 2009/10
1,396 2010/11
1,609 2011/12

Blimey, well that proves my theory wrong.

Although i suppose we are now in the championship and it's hard to compare against lge 1.
So it will be interesting to see how the averages shape up at the end of the season.

Quagmire

Jul 29, 2011
Quaghog, Rhode Island
I've found the opposite. I went to less away games during the Withdean years then I did last season, and am going to do this season. Maybe the Amex inspired more effort out of me? ???

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
So we had the 6th largest following away from home, even the scum manage to take away less than us. All this bollox about their immence following.

Indeed. They don't bother with facts though do they.
So we have better home and away following but we are plastic and they are loyal. . . .:ffsparr:

. . .and they are further north than us so less distance to travel.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I think every club in the divisions away support will drop this season. With the price of tickets, petrol and trains, away games are too expensive for many.

Joe Nobody

Dec 27, 2008
Hove
We saw high away attendances at the Amex last year because we were a new ground. Expect the numbers to drop for most visiting teams this season. Same for us, perhaps. Burnley was only last April and was probably a new ground for many. Clearly not so many wanted to go back so soon. Personally, I prefer going to Lancashire, Yorkshire etc than Watford. Get yourself on the road. Seeing us win away always rounds of a good day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here