Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Other Brighton Institutions Sadly No More

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
80's Seagull said:
Better bloody not :angry: The North Lanes are quality.

North Laine not Lanes.

When I posted similar views the last time we had this debate, I got lambasted by loads of people who said the trendy design shops were a huge improvement on the likes of Dk Rosen, Attrix, Cottage Records etc etc. Now, we have a thread mourning their passing.
:lolol:

Good old NSC; you never know what to expect.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Hanningtons.

The old WH Smith Bookstall between platforms 2 & 3 at Brighton Station.

Ditto the old, hand operated, train indicator board.

The Brighton Belle.

Subway Records.

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
Also:

The level pre-'87 storm, the Wilsons Laundry Whitehawk, BP petrol station along the seafront (where the Van Allen building is now), Tesco Gardener Street (where the Komedia/Curve is) latterly the Jubilee Shopping Hall, Bejam Churchill Square, Fitzherbert School Woodingdean (knocked down and Nuffield built there), The old Salvation Army hall Park Crescent and the amusement arcades at the bottom of West Street.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
34064 Fighter Command said:
Hanningtons.

Ditto the old, hand operated, train indicator board.

That board was a classic. And it was deadly accurate too, with lit clocks pointing to precisely the time the train was meant to leave. It worked far better than the screens do. I think they sent it to a museum. There are similar boards at Earls Court Station. Also the trains with a proper buffet. You could get a toasted bacon sandwich, which was delicious, unlike British Rail's other offerings, and a can of beer for about £2.50. Which was much better value than the trolleys they have these days.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Jenkinsons

Sherry's

The Derryk Carver

The Bosun:cool:

Last edited:

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
West Hoathly Seagull said:
That board was a classic. And it was deadly accurate too, with lit clocks pointing to precisely the time the train was meant to leave. It worked far better than the screens do. I think they sent it to a museum. There are similar boards at Earls Court Station. .

I Think the board went to a museum in the USA.

Virgo's Haircut

Resident Train Guru
Jul 5, 2003
On a train...
SS Brighton

Sainsburys and Tesco in Churchill Square

The Bingo Hall in North Street

Southdown Buses

Buses with Conductors

British Rail Trains

viscentaye

Jun 26, 2012
Jubilee Games in the road one on from Bond St, used to be lots of indoor market stall type shops but this one was a regular visit to swap old computer games at.

There was another one in East St but the name escapes me.....Gamer?!

Dave's Comics - Sydney St?

getz

Jan 15, 2010
How about the Starlight Rooms under the Montpelier Hotel in the early sixties . A maze of small rooms with a live band in one and other music in others. A good haunt for picking-up swedish and french students.

getz

Jan 15, 2010
Chinese jazz club run by a real character Bonny Manzi. Every friday night under the Aquarium. All the top trad-jazz bands of the early sixties played there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here