Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT - Why do some drivers still not wear a seat belt ?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Why ? By law you must wear a seat belt and you are not allowed to use a mobile either. Unless you're in the habit of making phone calls whilst parked (which would make you very environmentally uncool) I can't see the problem.

What if other people in the car with you wanted to use their mobiles though?

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Why ? By law you must wear a seat belt and you are not allowed to use a mobile either. Unless you're in the habit of making phone calls whilst parked (which would make you very environmentally uncool) I can't see the problem.

I agree with the seatbelt bit, but to prevent any passengers making calls or sending text messages would be rather frustrating and unnecessary for most people. Plus, why stop people who have bluetooth sets in place, like delivery drivers and what not?

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Anyone who doesn't wear a seatbelt is a spacktard of the highest order. It's not like it can save your life......oh wait. It can.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Anyone who doesn't wear a seatbelt is a spacktard of the highest order. It's not like it can save your life......oh wait. It can.

And it can also end your life.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean

How can it?? *except I suppose if the car crashes in a fireball and you dont wear one and get trown through the windscreen onto the road clear of the car.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada

Have fun hurtling through your windscreen then:shrug:

Never been one moment where I haven't automatically put my seatbelt on when I get in the car, and just because there are a few fatalities or injuries from people wearing seatbelts, it will not stop me spending 2 seconds of my life putting it on when it could SAVE years of my life.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
How can it?? *except I suppose if the car crashes in a fireball and you dont wear one and get trown through the windscreen onto the road clear of the car.

Yes, in fact in approximately .00002% of accidents it can but in the rest it will save you but if you like them odds spend next weeks pay on Lottery tickets.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Never been one moment where I haven't automatically put my seatbelt on when I get in the car, and just because there are a few fatalities or injuries from people wearing seatbelts, it will not stop me spending 2 seconds of my life putting it on when it could SAVE years of my life.
Prety much sums up my thoughts too

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I have always worn a seatbelt and feel naked if I havent got one on, I remember the old "Clunk Click" ads. Its one of those things that many people feel its cool to flout the law, bit like smoking behind the bike sheds or playing on railway lines.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I have always worn a seatbelt and feel naked if I havent got one on, I remember the old "Clunk Click" ads. Its one of those things that many people feel its cool to flout the law, bit like smoking behind the bike sheds or playing on railway lines.

That about sums it up actually. I know in the US I met more than one idiot who refused to wear a seatbelt because the government had forced them to do so, felt it was an infringement on their personal freedom ! The biggest irony is that many of them had to Health Insurance :shrug:

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
What a SHIT excuse!

Do you still light up a ciggie in pubs, because you 'never got the habit' of adhering the the CURRENT LAW?

Where did i offer it up as an excuse ? or defend the rights or wrongs of it ?
I never said i was right nor did it was wrong.

The original poster asked an open question and i gave a response ?

so get off my back !

I don't smoke either.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Where did i offer it up as an excuse ? or defend the rights or wrongs of it ?
I never said i was right nor did it was wrong.

The original poster asked an open question and i gave a response ?

so get off my back !

I don't smoke either.

You will from the friction of your head sliding down the bonnet :lolol:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
That about sums it up actually. I know in the US I met more than one idiot who refused to wear a seatbelt because the government had forced them to do so, felt it was an infringement on their personal freedom ! The biggest irony is that many of them had to Health Insurance :shrug:

A while since I've been to the states, but I remember cars that had seatbelts that automaically came over and fastened when you closed the door. It was a bit freaky first time as the belt shoots over you. Don't know if they still do this or how common it was.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
A while since I've been to the states, but I remember cars that had seatbelts that automaically came over and fastened when you closed the door. It was a bit freaky first time as the belt shoots over you. Don't know if they still do this or how common it was.

I had a Mazda with them but that shows just how bone idle Americans are. Never seen them anywhere else except Canada and that's just because the got cars from the US.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS

Quite agree Gazwag, I've never forgotten those adverts.

[yt]ddNr7rebaQo[/yt]

This was another extremely effectve campaign from the same period and has always stuck in my mind.

[yt]ZwLVIq9-Ysk[/yt]

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Totally agree. Frankly I can't see why in future all new cars will block a phone signal once an engine is started and the car with not start unless the seat belt is in use. Not hard.

Whilst the occupants are only going to harm themselves any injuries will be much more severe and thus cost a lot more to heal.

Having learned to drive before seat belts were compulsory is a feeble excuse. What car built in the last 20 years doesn't have at least a warning light let alone an audible warning ? I learned to drive at a time when seat belts were an optional extra and the first three cars I owned didn't have them. However as soon as I owned a car that had them I used them all the time.

If you block ( interlock the phone ) the signal while the engine is running, then it will require the ignition to be defeated to unblock it. In an accident the engine may well stop, but the ignition will still be 'live' and so the signal is still blocked And the circuitry that activates the interlock may be damaged so it can't be turned off. How do you then call for emergency assistance, your phone doesn't work, and your probably trapped by the legs ( at best ). Not really very safe then. And as we would be talking about 'jamming' the signal, then no-one else could make that call either.

It's also quite simple to fool a seat belt, just take the buckle off and stick it in the socket, no guarentee that it's not the passengers side belt in the drivers socket either.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
If you block ( interlock the phone ) the signal while the engine is running, then it will require the ignition to be defeated to unblock it. In an accident the engine may well stop, but the ignition will still be 'live' and so the signal is still blocked And the circuitry that activates the interlock may be damaged so it can't be turned off. How do you then call for emergency assistance, your phone doesn't work, and your probably trapped by the legs ( at best ). Not really very safe then. And as we would be talking about 'jamming' the signal, then no-one else could make that call either.

It's also quite simple to fool a seat belt, just take the buckle off and stick it in the socket, no guarentee that it's not the passengers side belt in the drivers socket either.

I know that and I have seen the later done although that was in the US, can't see it happening here. However I can't see any reason not to wear a seat belt, after all, there are plenty of things you can get to adjust the setup of the belt and frankly, who can't spare the two seconds to put it on ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I know that and I have seen the later done although that was in the US, can't see it happening here. However I can't see any reason not to wear a seat belt, after all, there are plenty of things you can get to adjust the setup of the belt and frankly, who can't spare the two seconds to put it on ?

Retards

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here