Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT - Why do some drivers still not wear a seat belt ?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I was stuck in a queue of traffic this morning and happened to notice a red light on the car beside me's dash. I realised that it was the seat belt warning and looked at the driver who was a perfectly normal sized man (not obese) sure enough beltless.

It beggars belief why people like him don't bother. Whilst I utterly object people using a mobile while driving I can just about understand somebody doing it but not wearing a seat belt ? Why not ? Never mind it's illegal it's just senseless.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I was stuck in a queue of traffic this morning and happened to notice a red light on the car beside me's dash. I realised that it was the seat belt warning and looked at the driver who was a perfectly normal sized man (not obese) sure enough beltless.

It beggars belief why people like him don't bother. Whilst I utterly object people using a mobile while driving I can just about understand somebody doing it but not wearing a seat belt ? Why not ? Never mind it's illegal it's just senseless.

I agree, though I find people driving while on a mobile just as senseless.

As for driving while texting... :facepalm:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Its nothing like the same as using a phone though. Not wearing a seat belt is only taking risks with their own safety.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Except when you brake hard and the person in the back not wearing a seatbelt headbutts the person in front's brain and mind through the windscreen.

I refer you to the thread title.

In particular to the word 'drivers'.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Because i was driving before it became law, and never got into the habit of putting it on.
It seems automatic with new drivers, they do it almost unconsciously, i assume thats how they were taught from the beginning of learning.
But i never have, so just never got the habit. I'm afraid.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
İbrahim Tatlıses;3577710 said:
Depends on the car but a lot of them are uncomfortable especially in the heat. I hate them, and only wear them in residential roads because I have to.

This was a perfectly normal car with a perfectly normally sized driver and certainly not driving around his local estate.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Because i was driving before it became law, and never got into the habit of putting it on.
It seems automatic with new drivers, they do it almost unconsciously, i assume thats how they were taught from the beginning of learning.

What a SHIT excuse!

Do you still light up a ciggie in pubs, because you 'never got the habit' of adhering the the CURRENT LAW?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I agree, though I find people driving while on a mobile just as senseless.

As for driving while texting... :facepalm:

Totally agree. Frankly I can't see why in future all new cars will block a phone signal once an engine is started and the car with not start unless the seat belt is in use. Not hard.

Whilst the occupants are only going to harm themselves any injuries will be much more severe and thus cost a lot more to heal.

Having learned to drive before seat belts were compulsory is a feeble excuse. What car built in the last 20 years doesn't have at least a warning light let alone an audible warning ? I learned to drive at a time when seat belts were an optional extra and the first three cars I owned didn't have them. However as soon as I owned a car that had them I used them all the time.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Totally agree. Frankly I can't see why in future all new cars will block a phone signal once an engine is started and the car with not start unless the seat belt is in use. Not hard.

Whilst the occupants are only going to harm themselves any injuries will be much more severe and thus cost a lot more to heal.

Having learned to drive before seat belts were compulsory is a feeble excuse. What car built in the last 20 years doesn't have at least a warning light let alone an audible warning ? I learned to drive at a time when seat belts were an optional extra and the first three cars I owned didn't have them. However as soon as I owned a car that had them I used them all the time.

Indeed. My car has an automatic handbrake release, and if the driver's seat belt is not on, the handbrake will not come off, unless you choose to manually over-ride it.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

So, you are not capable of learning a new habit ? Wasn't law when I started either, but then I don't do things just because they it's legal, it's actually there, oh, I don't know ..... maybe save my life or something,.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
lol @ original post.

ever got on a bus mate? no one wears a seat belt - and its the only vehicle that constantly pulls out and stops, and juts in.

ever been in a car in india with no seat belts? or the philipinnes?

until you wear a seat belt in a bus, shutup. i live in spain and seat belts are as and when (on main roads usually).

you are insulting to about 3billion people, there are bigger problems in the world than the odd person not wearing a seat belt. what about those shopping for fuel at texaco or bp? - much worse in the bigger picture.

english H&S programming while they feed you toxic food, toxic tap water, and manipulated news.

heheh.

VeronaSeagull

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
lol @ original post.

ever got on a bus mate? no one wears a seat belt - and its the only vehicle that constantly pulls out and stops, and juts in.

until you wear a seat belt in a bus, shutup. i live in spain and seat belts are as and when (on main roads usually).

you are insulting to about 3billion people, there are bigger problems in the world than the odd person not wearing a seat belt. what about those shopping for fuel at texaco or bp? - much worse in the bigger picture.

english H&S programming while they feed you toxic food, toxic tap water, and manipulated news.

heheh.

Some good points here, however wearing a seatbelt is just sensible looking after your own well being. I have to say I am surprised that people don't just wear their seatbelts as a matter of course, it really is not uncomfortable and will potentially save your life. Of course, if you are too lazy to wear one then that is up to you but rather selfish to take an unnecessary risk with your own life

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
lol @ original post.

heheh.

Yes I have been on many, many buses, they move slowly and are stop start, seldom do they exceed 20 MPH and they would be a lot slower with seat belts and I can guarantee somebody like you would never use one then. Oh yes and I have been on buses in the Philippines and in fact have travelled in many Jeepneys where the seating is not as buses anywhere else as you should know. The fact that countries like India have such bad driving conditions makes no difference to how we drive here. Eating 'Toxic Food' is a personal choice and not dangerous in the short term unless it's cyanide. Oh and popping out for petrol did you know that 75% of accidents happen within four miles of home ?

Rather than insulting anybody YOU are insulting my intelligence and I might well question yours.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here