Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT: Staying in Newcastle

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
stay somewhere and don't leave it, Newcastle is a dump and the locals seem to have an obsession with how much harder and better they are to us southern fairies.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Depends if you want fancy or not. There is a Premier TravelInn right by Bigg Market, if that kind of place will suffice.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
stay somewhere and don't leave it, Newcastle is a dump and the locals seem to have an obsession with how much harder and better they are to us southern fairies.

That's not my experience. Newcastle is a great city and the only Northern city I really enjoy. It feels like a regional capital and has a self-confidence to match but it's certainly not unwelcoming. (Anyway they are harder than us. That's why they take their shirts off at the football in January.)

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Depends if you want fancy or not. There is a Premier TravelInn right by Bigg Market, if that kind of place will suffice.

A good place to stay if you're out on the piss. Bigg Market is bar after bar and often full of VERY forward Geordie women. I've enjoyed my stays in Newcastle but sadly haven't been for a while.

Oct 25, 2003
there's a backpackers inn quite close to the train station, or attempt the hotels in Jesmond, as they're quite cheap i believe

avoid bigg market as it's shit and nowhere near the best that newcastle has to offer

avoid the area around the gate aswell

ps- newcastle isn't as cheap for drinking as its often portrayed

Oct 25, 2003

100% untrue i'm afraid

not sure i've ever witnessed a fight in newcastle....if i have it's been such an isolated incident that i didn't really notice it

the days of newcastle just being a cheap stag/hen weekend destination are gone

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
great place for a night out zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

geordie girls are up for it zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

everyone wears next to nothing when its cold zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

passionate football fans zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

friendly good laugh geordies zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

a f***ing bridge and an art gallery zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

another tedious marketing man re-invention of a post industrial British city zzzzzzzzz

same old tired cliches about Newcastle being rattled out zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

bollocks to Newcastle. Going there for a night out if you are from Brighton is, dare I say it, coals to Newcastle.

Oct 7, 2006
Eastbourne
If ya can park up at the travelodge on quayside. 5 min walk from central. plus you can walk along quayside into each bar. Flares is a jokes place but unfortunantly a GILF haven, still good for a laugh though.

Head into central and go to the gate, its full of bars and gash. Theres a sports bar in there where a birds dance above the bar. Jesmond is good for a night out too. Bigg Market is a place to avoid

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Coming next week in Which Provincial Town?,

Belfast - No More Bombs! Don't Be Scared!

Leeds - Harvey Nicks Don't You Know...

Liverpool - Ever Heard of The Beatles?

Glasgow - Its Not All Stabbings and Alcoholism Come to the Rennie Mackintosh Museum

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Last time I went up there I stayed in the uni halls. They rent spare rooms out. Check the uni website for details, I think it was about a tenner a night and they're quite large. Can't remember whether it was close to the city centre or not, doesn't really matter as toontown has the metro which goes everywhere. Enjoy! "Give it tooo meeee yer foookin twat!" "Aye lass, ah will doooo thatttt....." :)

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
take myu advice...Take a shield and an axe with you! they even haven't invented gunpowder up there yet, so you should be ok.

Oh and remember if the following gets said to you...

Allrigh thayre man. Iym frm joordieland like enni? ya wanna figh befaw aye intradoos yas to ma perrens?

...it means "hello, would you like to meet my parents"

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
I lived up there for 5 years, wouldn't ever live there again, but all that said it's fine, I had a great time and you'll have a great time too. The concept of a Brighton fan up there isn't as offensive to them as a Liverpool fan or a Mackem.

There is a Premier Inn on the Quayside (which is a nice area) and the City Centre (you walk straight out into Geordie nightlife). Personally, I'd stay at the Copthorne on the Quayside...it's going to be a good £20/£25 more than a Premier Inn, but worth it. The Quay Side also means you get to walk up and appreciate a nice side of Newcastle and you can also escape if you find the Geordie in you isn't quite what you thought it was.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
I'm going up for a long weekend and need somewhere to stay in the city centre which is failry reasonable.

Any recommendations?

What kind of weekend are you having up there? You've got a lot of recommendations, but certain nights are good in certain areas for certain types of people.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

You literally could not be more WRONG. I have lived in Newcastle for 3 years now and it is an amazing place to live, work and party.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here