Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT - Sleeping Advice

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
As NSC seems to be able to come up with solutions to all the worlds troubles I thought I might seek the advice of an NSC medic rather than a real doctor with years of training.

I'm struggling to get a full nights sleep due to stress and troubles in my private life - keep waking up at silly o'clock and not able to get back to sleep. I don't really want to use prescribed sleeping tablets but have seen the ads for Nightol and considered buying some.

So, what's the NSC advice for getting a full, satisfying, undisturbed nights sleep ?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Know what you mean. The obvious ones are don't eat or drink just before you go to bed. I find Nitol works well too.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
As NSC seems to be able to come up with solutions to all the worlds troubles I thought I might seek the advice of an NSC medic rather than a real doctor with years of training.

I'm struggling to get a full nights sleep due to stress and troubles in my private life - keep waking up at silly o'clock and not able to get back to sleep. I don't really want to use prescribed sleeping tablets but have seen the ads for Nightol and considered buying some.

So, what's the NSC advice for getting a full, satisfying, undisturbed nights sleep ?
go to the nearest gym that has a steam room ,do a bit of a work out, have a steam and warm shower afterwards , and hopefully that should do the trick.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I have the same problems.

There was an article about this in Men's Health the other month - I'll dig it out when I get home from work. It had a list of 5 tips to help you sleep, I remember that one was wear socks - aparently you are most likely to sleep well if your extremities are nice and warm. Another one of the tips was to drink a hot milky drink before bed.

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
my missus used 2 a night nytol and she swore by them, they come in a blue box (not to be confused with the herbal ones that come in a green box btw). lloyds chemist make their own version which works out cheaper than the original ones. she uses them now as they contain the same ingredients. hope that helps. if not, count sheep :bigwave:

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...

Ensure that you have plenty of fluids during the day. I always sleep badly if i haven't drunk enough

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Nytol works for me, but is not a great long term solution, a 4 nil win at tonights game may do the trick, have a word with Adams before the game.

I imagine the exercise and relaxation tips are the better option.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
cheech-chong.jpg

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
i was under the impression milk beofre bed was bad as milk has loads of lactose in it.

personally i sllep really well at the moment . i go to the gym and do weight training 3 times a week and sleep like a baby. in fact im a stay at home dad and have trouble keeping awake in the afternoon when the little one has her afternoon kip

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I also find exercise helps. My best nights sleep always comes after rugby training sessions.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
a 4 nil win at tonights game may do the trick, have a word with Adams before the game.

Hmm .... maybe that's why I'm stressed ! Alternatively maybe I should hope for a very boring nil-nil - that way I might get a decent 90 minutes sleep before going home.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Turn the alarm clock off (but don't turn it on again)

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
The problem with sleep issues is everyone thinks they have an answer or special cure. What works for one person may not work for another. The only universally accepted statement is the most obvious.. "Try to relax" after that your best bet is to go and see a doctor mate.

I had a nasty experience on sleeping tablets once. I could actually consciously notice my heart beat decreasing.. I was still wide awake, mind racing, but my heart was slowing. It was really unpleasent. I did fall asleep but it was very very forced.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Exercise is supposed to be good.

And for me, if I can't sleep, I give up and read a book. Stop trying to.. usually works. Failing that, some relaxation exercises and deep breathing help. And even if you can't get to sleep doing those, it's surprising how much rest your brain gets anyway.

Good luck. Insomnia's horrible.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
The ABC works for me.
Think up a subject then try to think of something from the subject begining with A, then B then C etc.

Sounds naff I know, but works

Subject suggestions: Albion players, Racecourses, Football Grounds, Football managers, UK towns without a league club, etc, etc, etc.

I rarely get past the letter K before zzzzzzzz

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I'm struggling to get a full nights sleep due to stress and troubles in my private life

Sorry mate, but until that's sorted you are only putting a plaster over the sleep issue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here