Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT - Price of old coins

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I have a coin that is old (not gold) and I may need to sell it soon.

Can anyone tell me what the second hand market is doing for coins. I cant find any graphs of trends over the years.

bn3gunner

Feb 12, 2007
What is it you have and condition ,age or any pics, unfortunately 90% of what people have is usually of little or no value,i

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Get a copy of Coin Monthly or see if they have them in the library.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
From some of your other posts, could it possibly be ....

....a threpenny bit?????

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
I've got a load of old coins,but how old is 'old'. Does a 1972 1/2p count as 'old' or are we talking Roman and earlier?

Exmouth Seagull

Sep 11, 2003
Condition is everything to collectors. A very rare coin that is badly worn has less value than a good specimen of a more common coin. Never attempt to clean coins, it ruins them.

Research your coin on eBay; go to advaned search, tick the completed listings box and see what similar coins have gone for. Remember that the seller has to deduct eBay and Paypal fees from the sale price.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
What is it you have and condition ,age or any pics, unfortunately 90% of what people have is usually of little or no value,i

Well would you believe it.:shrug: I've had it so long and put it somewhere really secure that I cant find it. Will try and search it out, then let you know. I think it was 18?? and silver coloured and about the size of a crown.

Some things go down in a recession and some go up. I was just looking for a general indication. I know nothing about coins, but there's no point selling at the moment if the bottom has fallen out the market. I can see current prices in several places, but that doesnt tell me if they fell by 50% (say) last year.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Found it.

Its a 1932 George V crown in pretty good condition. Not expecting it to be worth a fortune, but fed up with it kicking around.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Could be worth over £100 worth visiting a dealer I'd say for an expert opinion who will also give you an idea of if its worth keeping or selling

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Could be worth over £100 worth visiting a dealer I'd say for an expert opinion who will also give you an idea of if its worth keeping or selling

Well that could be good news indeed. It was given to me by an elderly neighbour some years ago as a thanks for doing some DIY for them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here