Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT - Photo Printing

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Greetings everyone, hope you have all enjoyed yourselves whilst I have been happily lazing away two weeks on the beach (awaits Ernest response !).

Now I have a load of pictures and want to print them and need to buy a reasonable quality printer for family photos.

Any suggestions please on best available in the markek and experience with others, I have set a budget of around £150.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Have you checked out prices at somewhere like Boots so you can have the photos printed out professionally?

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Look only at Epson and HP for photo quality printing and for the budget you have an Epson 300 is about the best you will get. But be warned the price of the equipment is only the smallest part of it its the carts that cost the money and photo real printing takes a lot of it.
The 300 is also a 6 cart machine (5 colour carts (1 red 1 blue etc) and a black one).

As suggested it may be more eeconomical to go to boots or the like and get their machines too print them as they will use continuous flow technology which does not use carts but buckets of ink.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
you're better off getting them printed at boots...the cost of the printer won't kill you, but replacing those bloody colour cartridges cots a small fortune!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The other consideration if you have loads of photos to print out is the time it takes to actually print a photo, especially if you want it in the highest quality you can with the printer. I have an HP (a couple of years old) and its takes a good couple of minutes to print out a 7x5 size photo

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
If they're on a CD already, give them to me, and I'll print as many as you like - within reason. We have a £25k colour printer which we use for low quantity high quality professional print runs up to SRA3 size.

We're ona rolling contract where the toners are free, and so are the consumables to replace worn out parts.

Last edited:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I've got an Epson Stylus Photo R300. Good piece of kit. As mentioned before, the real cost will be the amount of cartridges you have to buy. But at least if 1 colour runs out, you just replace that colour, thus not wasting the others. It seems to be the light magenta & light cyan that run out faster.
Plus it has slots for the camera card on the front, an optional viewer, and all manner of zoom, manual settings functions.

Clapham Old Mug

Aug 6, 2004
Clapham
If 14p a print's OK, just go to www.bonusprint.com, download their free programme, login to the file you've stored the photos, select the ones you want printed, give them a credit/debit card number - and sit back and wait for them to drop through the letterbox in a couple of days. No, I don't work for bonusprint, yes it does work and, yes, it beats going to Boots.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
If you print via your computer the R200 does the identical job and is £50 cheaper than the R300. This is the one I have got. It seems OK although the ink costs a lot. I fact, it costs so much I would not recoemmend it as the first choice.

The Which report compares it to a Canon (I cannot find the report offhand) but I would have bought that one instead because it says it is cheaper to run. Which reports on computer stuff can be unreliable and the cost of ink is about as unrelaible as you can get.

Don't buy Hewlett Packard for colour ink-jets.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Its always a good idea to match the printer to your camera manafacturer, for colour profiling reasons

That said, my budget HP 640 does a pretty good job. I prefer keeping all my photos on HDD though, so I rarely use it.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
The Large One said:
If they're on a CD already, give them to me, and I'll print as many as you like - within reason. We have a £25k colour printer which we use for low quantity high quality professional print runs up to SRA3 size.

We're ona rolling contract where the toners are free, and so are the consumables to replace worn out parts.

So the TLO Photo Print Express store is now open?:lolol:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Hello everyone :wave: :wave:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Tried bonus print and wouldn't load so have done a set with truprint and will see what they are like.

Thanks for advice and glad I haven't bought an ink eating printer

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here