Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT - New Cobham Services on M25

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I find it no problem at all....I work up at Heathrow and use that stretch of the M25 most days.....I start at 7am so I leave B.Hill around 5:20 in the morning arrive in Heathrow around 6:30ish.
About time we had some services there, not just for fuel, but to stretch the legs after a night shift too, Or if it's been a real bad shift have a few minutes sleep too.

Do you really need to stretch your legs or have a sleep to break up the journey between heathrow and burgess hill?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
This 50mph has been in force there for some time now so it isn't new.

The anti-clockwise 50mph restriction has only been in place a couple of weeks.

When I googled Cobham Services there was a link to articles in the Surrey Mirror covering the extensive opposition to the plans ... noise from truck drivers parking there with their engines running all night, etc, etc.

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand
But it will be less than an hour from Brighton? I don't deny the need for one between Pease Pottage and Luton, but somewhere north of the M4 would have been better.

Yes...if your coming up from Brighton...but if your coming from the north around the M25, then it seems a good place. And as someone else said ..in France (or anywhere else in Europe) there are services every few kls ... we shouldnt really even be having to talk about this !

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Services on that stretch of motorway should have been done years ago! Pease Pottage is too close from Brighton to be of any use when travelling northbound so I've been using Beaconsfield on the M40 of late! It's always been a long way to travel from the start of the M23 to Either Reading M4, Oxford M40 or Toddington M1 so the inconvenience will be worthwhile once finished!

BTW Notters, service stations in France tend to be approx every 50km/35miles unless you count Aires as proper stopping places!
I do count them, yes, as they have car parks, toilets and food. You'd have to be mad to buy petrol at a service station.

What?

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I do count them, yes, as they have car parks, toilets and food. You'd have to be mad to buy petrol at a service station.

Most, 99% of French aires do not sell food or fuel... They are just parking/rest areas with sub-standard toilets. (normally just a hole in the ground)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Rock n roll

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Service station almost built now.

Has the 50 mph speed limit finished going westbound now? Didn't see any 50 signs this morning than all of a sudden average speed cameras appear and lots of people suddenly start braking in fear they have missed the signs, when you get right up to the camaras you see the sign 'camera not in use'. Eastbound still 50 limit.

Does anybody know if its gonna be possible to change direction on the m25 using the new services? Looks like service station is on the clockwise side with access from the anti clockwise side? If so will this get abused with people turning back when they get stuck in a jam?

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Service station almost built now.

Has the 50 mph speed limit finished going westbound now? Didn't see any 50 signs this morning than all of a sudden average speed cameras appear and lots of people suddenly start braking in fear they have missed the signs, when you get right up to the camaras you see the sign 'camera not in use'. Eastbound still 50 limit.

Does anybody know if its gonna be possible to change direction on the m25 using the new services? Looks like service station is on the clockwise side with access from the anti clockwise side? If so will this get abused with people turning back when they get stuck in a jam?

The eastbound traffic will pass thru a tunnel under the M25 to access the services. As you say I can't see anything to stop people using it to change carriageway, perhaps they will have to make it a new junction, 9A perhaps?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here