Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT - Assistance for a separated mother of three

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I just know this is open to NSC abuse, but will ask anyway.

A friend of ours who has three small children aged 6, 4 and 2 is recently separated from her husband.

She now has very little income and doesn't know where to start looking for financial help.

Can anyone clarify simply, what she might be entitled to?

Thanks for any sensible answers.

D

Deleted User X18H

If I'd had posted that Uncle C you would have said 'gawd HB&B you know some Pikeys!

However I would advise the best thing she can do is get a good brief and get her estranged husband to pay for everything she requires that's the Law!

Secondly get down the DSS and get everything she is entitled to which is quite a lot in her case!

Dirk lovelace

Jul 14, 2009

A friend of ours who has three small children aged 6, 4 and 2 is recently separated from her husband.

She now has very little income and doesn't know where to start looking for financial help.

She could start looking to her ex husband.

Serious answer. She should go to the Citizen's Advice Bureau. They'll almost certainly be more helpful than the DSS although any financial help she might get will obviously come from the DSS. It's just that the CAB explain things better!

Jan 30, 2008

why don't YOU try and help her "friend" :dunce:

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Message for Ernest

If you're trying to contribute to any of my threads I would suggest you save your time and expertise as you are on my ignore list.

But thanks anyway.:bigwave:

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
The f***ing father, like people did when they had to work for their money and not live off state benefits.
*Adds Ernest to ignore list*

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
*Waits for NSC to EXPLODE when it is revealed that the mother is an immigrant*...

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
First port of call has to be citizens advice. Check on the net for the nearest one. Then I would book an appointment with the benefits office at the local council for things such as rent, council tax etc.

I would also contact the DWP and explain the circumstances and see what they. Can do to help.

Also, very importantly she should be honest with her creditors about her situation and see if they can give her some breathing space to sort things out. This includes rent, utility bills, credit cards. In fact everything.

Can she have a word with other single mums that she knows to find out what she can claim for, how much she will get and when she will get it. She needs to seriously count every penny from hereon in.

On no account should she enter into a loan agreement without professional independent advice first. This could come back to haunt her otherwise. Remember that for her now, cash is king. Don't use plastic if you can and actually paying by cash makes people more aware of how much they spend.

The Internet is also a valuable resource. I saw a woman being interviewed the other night who had set up a website for mothers offering all sorts of advice. Have a look out for it.

And good luck

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
The f***ing father, like people did when they had to work for their money and not live off state benefits.

So what would the father be entitled to claim since he won't be working?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here