Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT: Anyone know how to convert an HTM file into XML

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I need to get a tax return to the HMRC.

It's prepared as a 3rd party web application, appearing as .HTM

I'm running Safari 5.0.3 on a Mac OS X 10.6.6

HMRC say they need it as XML, but this kind of stuff goes right over my head.

Any ideas what I need to do?

thanks

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Wouldn't it be easier to just input the information in the revenue's online tax return - I would imagine if the 3rd party software doesn't produce it in a format to send to HMRC they won;t accept it anyway.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
It's a partnership tax return which HAS to be via approved third party software (and you pay £30 for the 'privilege' of buying it!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It's a partnership tax return which HAS to be via approved third party software (and you pay £30 for the 'privilege' of buying it!

I'm surprised that you cannot file it using the software without converting the data (it may have cost you £30 but you will have £100 fine for each partner as well!!)

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Doesn't a partnership return also have a Jan 31st deadline, in which case you are already late?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
properly formed HTML is XML.

Technically no, depends on which schema you are validating against.

HTML predates XML, but yes, the point I was making above is the same as yours.

BUT

After doing a bit of investigation, actually what is required is a specified type of XML. They support a number of software packages where the work has been done to bring in THAT companies XML.

So it really a case of....

Converting the XML into a stricter from of HTML (if not already), and then doing an XML (on the XML/HTML) transformation into a desired form - via something like XSD.

Easy - but a bespoke job and if the accounting software you require is only £30 - that's a whole lot less than what I would charge to do it !

Last edited:

Dec 29, 2011
Can't you just go on the .HTM file (in Chrome or FF). Go to View --> Page Source. Copy and Paste all that into a notepad. Save the notepad as "something.XML" and remember to set the "save as type" to "all files" and I think encoding to UTF-8. That'll convert it to XML I think.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Can't you just go on the .HTM file (in Chrome or FF). Go to View --> Page Source. Copy and Paste all that into a notepad. Save the notepad as "something.XML" and remember to set the "save as type" to "all files" and I think encoding to UTF-8. That'll convert it to XML I think.

.. but needs transforming into the output of an accepted manufacturer.

Also depending on the HTML may not be "well formed" XML.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here