Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT: anyone know any decent "light" free anti-virus software

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
just for a home laptop with the occasional browse.

i don't want anything heavy like mcafee or synaptec etc.

thanks alot
:)

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Microsoft Security Essentials is, perversely, fairly decent if you've got XP, Vista or 7.

AVG Free is the best of a fairly bad bunch of free commercial antivirus programmes.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free, easy to install & to use; its unobtrusive and it's good. I stopped wasting money on the bloated Norton & McAfee type solutions some while ago.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Yeah I've just moved over to Microsoft security essentials from AVG as it is less obtrusive and uses less resources.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Microsoft Security Essentials is, perversely, fairly decent if you've got XP, Vista or 7.

AVG Free is the best of a fairly bad bunch of free commercial antivirus programmes.

Totally agree, I've seen the full version of AVG fail far too often let alone the free version, I use MSE on my laptop and have had no problems and neither have any of the machines I've removed AVG from.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
For my Mac, I use Sophos, for PC I use both Microsoft Security Essentials and Avast (on separate PCs), all are free and 'light' and work fine.

haardman

Jul 29, 2005
Microsoft Security Essentials definitely. I've used it to clean machines that have been infected even with a full version of Norton or McAfee supposedly protecting it.
Highly recommended, and can now be used in Small Businesses up to 10 PC's I think.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
One vote each for Avast and AVG. With ZoneAlarm firewall.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sorry, I use Apple so no.... I do not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here