Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ostigard - Sold To Napoli 18/07/2022

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
If we get £50M for him in 2023, who's worrying? Roberts and Tsongui will be up and running by then.

Yeah that’s pretty much the short of it.
Eventually we need someone to replace Dunk so let’s hope we don’t run out of centre backs by then.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yeah that’s pretty much the short of it.
Eventually we need someone to replace Dunk so let’s hope we don’t run out of centre backs by then.

I think that would be about as likely as the world running out of oil!

(Yes, it will - but it won't cocern you or me when it happens)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
He looked distinctly average with us. I bet your average Brighton fan hasn’t even heard of him.

However, having been touched by the genius of Michael O'Neill at a big club, he looks like a world beater. Once a player gets a sniff of the Potteries, they don’t want to play anywhere else. I fear that he’ll want to sign for them permanently.

Ah I thought it was Egil Ostenstad we had - nope never heard of this Ostigard bloke :shrug:

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
My one worry with this kind of tactic is just how motivated will players be to stay? We did well to keep White for an extra season, but i can imagine other players feeling utterly no loyalty to us and wanting out at the first ‘bigger club’ interest.
Guess that’s the business model though.

Don't think White had much choice in the matter tbh, even if he'd wanted to go. He had at least a few years left on his contract with us, if I remember correctly, and there was no way we were going to sell to Leeds at that time.

But yeah, I take your point about lack of feelings of loyalty, or perhaps lack of connection to the club and supporters.
Although behind the scenes it seems like players like White have been looked after really well, and perhaps that can feel like a very strong connection.

The Ostigard situation I find a bit confusing though. We triggered a 1 year extension in his current contract (I think...?). So is he likely to be a free agent by the end of his loan spell? Just seems odd, unless I'm missing something?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
My one worry with this kind of tactic is just how motivated will players be to stay? We did well to keep White for an extra season, but i can imagine other players feeling utterly no loyalty to us and wanting out at the first ‘bigger club’ interest.
Guess that’s the business model though.

I think we are very good at keeping in touch with our on loan players. Shane Duffy in an interview after the Burnley match said the Club was excellent with him while he was having a torrid time, both football and personal wise, at Celtic. He is proud and happy to be part of it.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Don't think White had much choice in the matter tbh, even if he'd wanted to go. He had at least a few years left on his contract with us, if I remember correctly, and there was no way we were going to sell to Leeds at that time.

But yeah, I take your point about lack of feelings of loyalty, or perhaps lack of connection to the club and supporters.
Although behind the scenes it seems like players like White have been looked after really well, and perhaps that can feel like a very strong connection.

The Ostigard situation I find a bit confusing though. We triggered a 1 year extension in his current contract (I think...?). So is he likely to be a free agent by the end of his loan spell? Just seems odd, unless I'm missing something?

We triggered the one year option at the end of last season, then he signed a new one year deal just before the loan move, which although no details have been released would make sense if that new deal also had an option of a further year. Otherwise there is zero logic to us getting him to sign this new deal before the move to Stoke.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We triggered the one year option at the end of last season, then he signed a new one year deal just before the loan move, which although no details have been released would make sense if that new deal also had an option of a further year. Otherwise there is zero logic to us getting him to sign this new deal before the move to Stoke.

I'd bet my mortgage* he won't be available on a free in the summer of 2022.

* I haven't got a mortgage, but the point stands.

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC

Ok, excellent. Thanks.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

I have heard a couple of references to "a new long term deal" which implies more than a one year contract.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I have heard a couple of references to "a new long term deal" which implies more than a one year contract.

The official website said one year though... but there might have been some misunderstanding or something.

Guess we'll get some clarity at some point.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The Stokie's chant for Leo (to Oasis' "She's Electric") is good...

"He's Norweeeegian
He came to Stoke for a reason
And we're going up this season
He's Oss-ti-gaaard!"

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

"He's Norweeeegian
He's Oss-ti-gaaard!"

"Heeee's a loanee
We have to give him back next season
But going back will be like prison
#FreeOss-ti-gaaard!"

(Assuming Stoke are as big a bunch of bell-ends as Leeds)

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

"He's Norweeeegian
He's Oss-ti-gaaard!"

But, but, but .....Norwegian doesn't rhyme with electric
So the rest of the song doesn't rhyme with the original

I can't accept this at all.

This is LAZY

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here