Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Opinion of England on NSC

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
It's pretty shameful reading some of the comments on here regarding our national team. It was difficult for them to command any respect following SA but it's time to give some credit to a squad with some promising young kids that has battled back with a decent qualifying campaign.

Considering the representation of our club at England games across the globe i'm always puzzled by the attitude to our national side on here. A lot comes down to jealousy, and its pretty pathetic.

Time to get behind your country.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Respect and support are earned.

When they play well enough to earn it (ie - not blowing a 2 goal lead against Montenegro) and stop acting like spoilt, petulant brats (*cough*Rooney*cough*) then maybe they'll get a bit more support.

I'd like, just once, for Capello or whoever to field a team from entirely outside the Premiership - they might not have the skill and talent, but at least you'd see 11 players on the pitch who give a shit about playing for their country.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Im getting a real deja vous for this thread, I think IBF started a very similar one before and the same answer will be given.

Respect is not a divine right just because you pull on the jersey. To wear the 3 lions should be one of the pinnacle's of your sporting career. This golden (???) generation have yet to earn any respect and until they do will not get any. It is also hard to support such players like Terry for the obvious reasons.

Feb 14, 2010
The shame is that we cant find 11 players that can play passing football. Time to stop kids playing on a full sized pitch until they are 14/15. 5 a side football up until that age so we develop more Messi's and less players like Bent.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
Why would you respect and support a national team, who is managed by a foreigner and is full of players who don't seem to care much themselves? If the team was full of players with less talent, but more heart, then it would be different.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We should go for youth now, Jones made errors last night but we should persist with younger player and get rid of Terry and Lampard etc.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I do love to watch England (or at least I used to) But lately it has just been boring predictable crap. I don't blame Capello as much as I do the players. If they put in half the effort they put in for their clubs, we should be flying. Yes we qualified, but we will take the same dross players to Poland and get knocked out in the early stages again. I support England, but would always put the Albion before the national side.

Fans are much more forgiving of their clubs team performances than they are the national team. Years of disappointment have left a high degree of cynicism and alienation. Years ago I used to look forward to watching England on TV - now it feels more of an obligation.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
This is what playing for England should mean. Nowadays half the team don't even sing the National Anthem

article-1022690-0211ABCB0000044D-802_306x443.jpg

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Outside of family, football has always been the greatest love of my life....I can honestly say that since before South Africa, I really could not give a shite about watching England. Sven started the rot by playing 22 players in a friendly and making an England cap worthless and now that total wanker Capello is calling the shots, I really feel detached from my own country. We can fail just as well with an English manager as we can with a foreign one, but at least it might mean something to an Englishman.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
People may shoot me down, but I really think we lack a quality conventional English type centre forward...... Yes Rooney is a great player, but he often playes deeper in a semi midfield role and for me he doesn't look the same in an England shirt as the United shirt.

When I was growing up it was Lineker, then Shearer both of whom were immense, we had owen for a while.... and I thought Dean Ashton would be next, but he retired through injury.

Since Owen faded, I don't think we have had a really good out and out Centre forward, guaranteed to start like the others before.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
We always look to go forward,nothing wrong with that maybe? i say we are,to quote , "to impatient and will not learn".

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
People may shoot me down, but I really think we lack a quality conventional English type centre forward...... Yes Rooney is a great player, but he often playes deeper in a semi midfield role and for me he doesn't look the same in an England shirt as the United shirt.

When I was growing up it was Lineker, then Shearer both of whom were immense, we had owen for a while.... and I thought Dean Ashton would be next, but he retired through injury.

Since Owen faded, I don't think we have had a really good out and out Centre forward, guaranteed to start like the others before.

Not going to shoot you down at all. Completely agree.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
At the end of the day, England are the 7th or 8th best team at football in the world. Our media like to overhype everything and ability of some of our players but in terms of quality we are behind the likes of Spain, Brazil, Argentina, France, Holland and Germany.

England have consistently reached 1/4 finals of major tournaments which is where there level is at. If England do reach a final then it will have been an over achievement.

Everytime England play I support them and hope they win and we do have some promising young players coming through. If England are able to keep Wilshere, Young, Rooney and Gerrard fully fit then I have strong hope for the Euros.

The problem is people have too high expectations, which has been the problem with Henman at wimbledon and now Murray in the tennis. It is just the nature of our country and our press. England was once a great country but sadly at the moment, we no longer are. And few people are able to accept this fact.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Totally disagree on Gerrard, another hopefully has-been

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
Respect and support are earned.

When they play well enough to earn it (ie - not blowing a 2 goal lead against Montenegro) and stop acting like spoilt, petulant brats (*cough*Rooney*cough*) then maybe they'll get a bit more support.

I'd like, just once, for Capello or whoever to field a team from entirely outside the Premiership - they might not have the skill and talent, but at least you'd see 11 players on the pitch who give a shit about playing for their country.

I've been saying an all championship team would be so much more enjoyable to watch passion wise.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
We should go for youth now, Jones made errors last night but we should persist with younger player and get rid of Terry and Lampard etc.

Fabio had the chance last World Cup Exit-strip the sqaud down & start again,with the best of the youth,persist with them and build,add a few here and there(my opinion only now-but so what if we did not qualify for Euro 2012) the World Cup is what it's ALL about imo,anyway in the main,with YOUTH,i agree.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here