Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Opera

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I have to say that Opera is incredibly dull. Although there are some cracking bits of music that come from opera, sitting through a whole one is teeth pullingly boring. The problem is the long waits for the good bit's.
The story ruins the music and the music ruins the story.

Nuffin wromg with buying any "Highlights" album - they give yo the cream and cut out the dross (tho sayig that it will have the Flower Duet from Delibes' 'Lakeme" sodding BA advert!)

When in Italy for the World Cup in 1990 I spent a very enjoyable evening (and most of an early monrning - it started at 9.30pm) at the Arena in Verona partaking of a fine presentation of Aida by good ol' Guiseppe (Verdi that is)

Lost of goood toons

as an intro tho see above - CfT by Mozart is excellent. Last night I was listing to Acts 1&2 and tonight I shall finish it off

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Lush said:
Carmen is a good start - and go and see it live if possible.

One can thoroughly recommend splashing out on a jaunt to Glyndebourne if one gets the opportunity - the productions are top hole.

That's a big 'if' though Lush. I've been trying for years to get a ticket (without oaying £150). I reckon you have to be prepared to sleep with someone to get into Glyndebourne :)

Highfields Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bullock Smithy
Saw Don Giovanni in Prague a few years ago. Enjoyed it, but haven't been to an opera since.

I certainly found it helpful to look up the story on the internet, that way I had more of an idea of what was going on.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Voroshilov said:
I have to say that Opera is incredibly dull. Although there are some cracking bits of music that come from opera, sitting through a whole one is teeth pullingly boring. The problem is the long waits for the good bit's.
The story ruins the music and the music ruins the story.

Now that's why I don't think greatest hits CDs are any good. They encourage this idea that there are 'good' bits and 'bad' bits, rather than look at the work as a whole.

It's a bit like trying to get a flavour of Shakespeare by hearing the "To be or not to be..." and the "Friends, Romans anc c ountrymen.." speeches and nothing else.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Gwylan said:
Now that's why I don't think greatest hits CDs are any good. They encourage this idea that there are 'good' bits and 'bad' bits, rather than look at the work as a whole.

Thats the thing though some bits are better than others. I've been to several opera's by various composers to keep my wife happy and without exception there have been long dull sections which were tedious in the extreme. Mostly these have been the bits where the composer is trying to set the plot or link the "set pieces".

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Voroshilov said:
Thats the thing though some bits are better than others.

OK but name a work of art in any form where that doesn't also apply. The Mona Lisa's dress isn't as good as her smile. The bit with the gatekeeper in Macbeth isn't as good as the bit with the witches. The talking bits at the start of Ben Dover videos aren't as good as the shagging.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Voroshilov said:
Thats the thing though some bits are better than others. I've been to several opera's by various composers to keep my wife happy and without exception there have been long dull sections which were tedious in the extreme. Mostly these have been the bits where the composer is trying to set the plot or link the "set pieces".

Noooooo!! That's my point, operas are an organic whole and you can't say that setting the plot is unimportant. As I said in my previous post, it would be as if Hamlet suddenly lurched from "To be or not to be" to "There is a willow grows aslant a brook" - you'd miss out lots of the action and wouldn't understand how characters react the way they do.
Opera is, above all about story-telling, it's not about musical setpieces.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
So are football matches - but the highlights package can be good entertainment, and can even make a bad good look good.

And like the composers don't think - right I need a big number here .........

scotjem

Oct 25, 2003
Glasgow
I'm a Rossini fan myself - apart from the William Tell overture, most of his shows just rattle along as if he was constantly on speed. I think of him as the 19th century's precursor to FBS?

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Gwylan said:
Opera is, above all about story-telling, it's not about musical setpieces.

And my point is that the need to shoehorn the music and the plot together is to the detriment of both. You end up with badly acted dull music just so you can link two set pieces together.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Gwylan said:
....if Hamlet suddenly lurched from "To be or not to be" to "There is a willow grows aslant a brook" - you'd miss out lots of the action and wouldn't understand how characters react the way they do.

But you would get to the pub quicker though.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Picking up on what Harveys said, that also follows when you are singing certain "works"

There are always parts you absolutely love singing, La Crimosa fm M Requiem eg is sublime to sing as is Deis Irae, however Sussmeir's version of Agnus Dei also from Mozarts Requiem is very disjointed and difficult to sing.

Over all the work is so moving to sing and listen to, that you tend to forget about the hard bits and concentrate of the whole package

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Dick Knights Mum said:
So are football matches - but the highlights package can be good entertainment, and can even make a bad good look good.

And like the composers don't think - right I need a big number here .........

Of course, they do. It's the idea that the rest of it is crap that I don't agree with.

Squiggsy

Oct 26, 2003
Worthing
Okay........ I love opera AND The Killers album. Just get that straight first....

I listen to a lot of all kinds of music, but do tend to struggle more with opera. I find that the operas I enjoy most to listen to are those that I have seen as can then 'picture' them while listening.

For that reason I'd suggest you go for DVD if possible, but still get one packed with tunes sooooo....

Carmen (Bizet)
Marriage of Figaro (Mozart)

In fact - probably any Mozart opera, it's what he was best at (apart from the sublime Requiem - assuming most of it was written by him....!).

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
dave the gaffer said:
There are always parts you absolutely love singing, La Crimosa fm M Requiem eg is sublime to sing as is Deis Irae

Stop, stop! Tenors! please ?! NO BREATH in the middle of LACRIMOSA! Thank you.

OK, from the letter B... :p

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here