Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Open Letter to the squad

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
And back in the real world, there are people who would not move for more Money if they are happy and comfortable where they are, and would consider factors OTHER THAN the pay cheque.
Name one player that’s turned down a move from a club like ours to one of the big boys?
It just doesn’t happen.
Unless you are talking about the average man in the street then yes some might stay in their job even if it is less money. Elite sports men & women they went to play at the top level and earn as much money as possibleo ok in their short career.
Just don't go to an utter w@nkstain of a club like Chelsea that's all.
Or any of the sports washing clubs or Spurs and definitely not Liverpool or basket case Man Utd :lolol:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Name one player that’s turned down a move from a club like ours to one of the big boys?
It just doesn’t happen.
Unless you are talking about the average man in the street then yes some might stay in their job even if it is less money. Elite sports men & women want to play at the top level and earn as much money as possible in their short career.
Even in real life I'd say it is highly unusual to turn down tripling your wages to do the same job in a more fancy office with more skilled co-workers.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
There is no way any sensible player turns those chances down, and what's more, I suspect the club (Brighton) is quite keen on the money coming in too.
There is another aspect too - players looking at Brighton as a possible transfer destination club will be encouraged by players we have transferred out to top 6/7 clubs - they will see Brighton as a progressive club that can open doors for them and (for now) RDZ as a coach that can get their game to the next level.

Dear TB et al

f***ing A!

Grateful fan

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
What other factors like a chance to win major honours, play in the Champions League, to test yourself alongside some of the best players in training. It isn’t just about money.

You can’t compare real world values with how football works, it exists in its own bubble. Players want to play in the biggest games, that’s natural ambition and drive. You’ve got to be driven to even make it as a pro and at the upper reaches of the game that drive is unbelievable.

As much as we would like to think Brighton can offer the above we can’t offer it on a consistent basis, we might brush with the top 4/6 and some European football and maybe a cup win here or there if we continue on our current trajectory but we won’t be able to do it on a consistent basis unfortunately and that’s what the top players desire. So let’s just enjoy them while they are here and not worry about what the future may hold as you’ll miss the good times we are currently going through.
To be fair many said we wouldn’t make the top ten I wouldn’t put anything past Mr TB.

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
It’s mainly greed , but most people would move employer’s for significantly more money . In some cases double or triple salary . Shame there’s not more loyalty .
And there by lies the crux of the matter. WE, the fans, are the loyal ones in this matter - one life, one club. Players are employees, the same as everyone who goes to work in the big, wide world. You go where it best suits you - more money, career advancement, better prospects and so on.

No fan truly objects to players/coaches moving on. There is disappointment, or relief in some cases, but it is accepted. What is not acceptable in certain cases is the manner and timing of such departures - I’ll leave that one there.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Loyalty is a one way street for football fans. If a player isn't quite up to it, we want them gone, or want a manager gone. We only demand loyalty when things are going well - that's not really loyalty.
I was going to say that. We're as 'loyal' to the club's employees as they are to us. If we sign a player on a three year contact and he turns out to be rubbish no fan says "Well we've got to be loyal to him and play him every week" do they? No. they want him replaced, shipped out and off the wage bill ASAP. Get someone better. Even more so with managers. Sod their contracts, a few defeats and fans want them out. No loyalty. But if they want to move on ....

Last edited:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
And back in the real world, there are people who would not move for more Money if they are happy and comfortable where they are, and would consider factors OTHER THAN the pay cheque.
Like me.

I could make significantly more elsewhere if I only looked for top dollar opportunities.

Not interested in moving jobs though.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Its mostly been said already re: players moving on, but I will add that we will always have bedrock players, the likes of Dunk (who has been criminally underrated) and Gross (who has been a mainstay for years and has vastly returned his investment in kind). If anything the club legends should be and are those guys over the Bissoumas and Cucurellas imo who may shine brighter but for half as long in our team.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Even in real life I'd say it is highly unusual to turn down tripling your wages to do the same job in a more fancy office with more skilled co-workers.
‘Swanny’ in order to qualify for your free lifetime membership of NSC, can you name the only professional British football club with a ‘J’ in its name? And no Googling it.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Yes it’s fantasy to suggest otherwise. The QPR manager made a massive blunder not taking the Wolves job the opportunity to work in the PL and become a millionaire doing so may never come again with no guarantees QPR will be promoted. If he goes on a bad run QPR won’t show the same loyalty.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
‘Swanny’ in order to qualify for your free lifetime membership of NSC, can you name the only professional British football club with a ‘J’ in its name? And no Googling it.
There is one English football league club that doesn’t have any letters in its name which are in the word Mackerel

Let’s see if you qualify 🫤

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I don't mind players moving on to take career opportunities, but not :

(1) If they haven't done a decent 1st team stint - ideally 3+ seasons.

(2) Too many don't leave in the same window.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Like me.

I could make significantly more elsewhere if I only looked for top dollar opportunities.

Not interested in moving jobs though.
That's genuinely great for you!

What if the job was better as well? That you'd be furthering your career ambitions and earning 3 times as much money and would have more of an opportunity to be internationally recognised doing your job?

The money and everything else aren't really separate at this level. Players get more money than we can pay if they go to a club with loftier ambitions and a continental reputation. It's the same parcel. Cucurella wanted to leave because he believed he is a top-level player that needed to play Champions League football to be in the Spain squad. Cucurella also wanted to leave because he'd have a MASSIVE pay-rise by moving to Chelsea, earning the kind of money we can only dream of. This can and should also be applied to Potter & pals.

IF you decide to not move to West Ham in Europe and choose a newly promoted side because they're offering considerably more in wages then that's a whole different issue we're talking about and is, because of the above reasons, an incredibly rare occurrence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here