Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ooh Aah Cod-er-ner

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Trigger said:
Welcome back Kinky...

Akinbiyi & Dickov.

Dickov's last minute winner on a Tuesday night against the Janners in Spring 1994, a superb strike from the edge of the area.

Rather a special player and a few weeks later he was on the bench for the Gooners for their European Cup Winners Cup Final (SS, that use to be the European competition that the domestic cup winners were entered into, it has now be merged with the UEFA Cup).

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Uncle Buck said:
Dickov's last minute winner on a Tuesday night against the Janners in Spring 1994, a superb strike from the edge of the area.

That was quality. Why cant the Arse lend us someone like that now!!!

Hed be French obviously but you know what I mean. He'd get on well with Fruity and Carole.

Last edited:

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Uncle Buck said:
First goal at Wycombe in the Coca-Cola Cup (that is the Carling Cup now SS) was a beauty, but he turned into one of these players that used to run a lot, but never really looked up. Then Zeke Rowe appeared....

The 2nd leg of that game at Adams Park is possibly one of the greatest Albion performances i've ever seen.

Back to the Bob Cod bit.. most people recall his bust up with Dean Wilkins, but he also had fisticuffs with Kurt Nogan against Burnley... they got separated, and soon after Nogan scored and they were all lovey dovey again...

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Jam The Man said:
The 2nd leg of that game at Adams Park is possibly one of the greatest Albion performances i've ever seen.

Back to the Bob Cod bit.. most people recall his bust up with Dean Wilkins, but he also had fisticuffs with Kurt Nogan against Burnley... they got separated, and soon after Nogan scored and they were all lovey dovey again...

Was that the game at Turf Moor where somehow Farrington scored?

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Uncle Buck said:
Was that the game at Turf Moor where somehow Farrington scored?

No the one I mean was at the Goldstone (RIP)

Last edited:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
I used to love that turn and shoot on the edge of the box he used to do like at Cambridge at Home.

f*** me he could teach a thing or two to our current lot starting with CKR. Who Magoo (for some reason) has been working with him in training with his back to goal....

The idea that Junior McDougald could teach anything to even our current non-scoring strikers is laughable. :nono:

Talk about rose-tinted specs. I think our current players would easily give a lot of players from that era a decent game.... some were just awful. Even Codner was only good about 20 percent of the time...

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
trueblue said:
The idea that Junior McDougald could teach anything to even our current non-scoring strikers is laughable. :nono:

Talk about rose-tinted specs. I think our current players would easily give a lot of players from that era a decent game.... some were just awful. Even Codner was only good about 20 percent of the time...

So you'd turn your nose up at adding Codner and Mike Small to our current squad would you ?

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Deano's Right Foot said:
I liked Codpiece, although at the time he sometimes seemed to have a pathological fear of passing forwards, and would look lazy at times.

My favouritist team:

-------------- Digweed -------------------

Crumplin Foster McCarthy Chappers

Robinson Codner Wilkins Walker

---- Small --------- Byrne ---------

Also would have Bisset in centre of defence.

And Lloyd chain smoking in the dugout.

Happy days

Crispbag on the wing!! Marvellous Scenes. :clap: :clap: :clap:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
1990/91. These were favourite years as an Albion fan.

I still remember opening the Daily Star and seeing the headline: "£1m-rated Codner linked to Liverpool".

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Sid James said:
So you'd turn your nose up at adding Codner and Mike Small to our current squad would you ?

I'd take John Byrne, Mike Small, Colin Pates, Dean Wilkins, Garry Nelson and on later achievements John Robinson. I certainly wouldn't bother with Codner - a man who built a reputation largely on having an agent who talked him up all the time. Way over-rated. The Leon Knight of his era.

Those players are all from the Play-off Final squad. The reference to McDougald is a few years down the line. That's the side I'm saying would struggle to compete with our current lads. People slate the likes of Chippy, but I'd have him over Minton any day...and Minton was one of the better lads at the time.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I only said Macdougald so he could teach CKR his edge of the box turn thing by the way.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Stefan lovan, Sergei gotsmanov blasts from the past there, Mikey Small would be the kind of player we need right now, him and John Byrne up front would get us goals for sure.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Sergei would be a class addition to the midfield at the moment.

Weve got a russian international :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I used to always back Codner and got into a couple rows with those around me who were knocking him. I clearly remember having a go at someone at West Ham who was genuinely happy to see Codner sent-off and reckoned we'd be a better team down to 10 men without him.

Then one night, I saw him in the Pink Coconut - I think that was it's name at the time, but you all know the club I mean - and I went over to talk to him. He was stood at the bar, supping some fancy cocktail, and he was reasonably happy to stand there and chat with me, although he never stopped checking out the talent as we spoke, I doubt he looked at me once.

Anyway, I was telling him this and that, great player, team looking good etc. Then I decided to angle for a drink, and explained how I was there cheering him on every week despite having no cash, poor student living in London. He wasn't biting so I went for broke, and offered to buy him a drink knowing full well that he'd decline and buy me one instead.

"Yeah cheers, thanks." my heart sank!
"Ok, I'll just try to get through to the bar" I said glumly, thinking I'll just bustle to get in for a bit, then sneak off.
"Nah, it's okay, I know the barman." as he turned round and shouted "Dave, Dave, another one of my usuals mate, this guy is buying."

SEVEN FCUKING QUID! Some la-de-dah collection of various spirits at top prices. He took his drink and went. ME? Oh I was now completely broke, could barely afford another drink all night, let alone food afterwards or a cab home. Walked back that night, in the pissing rain, freezing cold, sober and starving.

Yeah thanks Robert! Supporters have very long memories y'know.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Codner wasn't that good was he? He had moments of quality but most of the time I thought he was a little pedestrian. Him and Wilkins were really frustrating together in midfield. Wilkins had a great left foot, a tremendous passer of the ball. But he was so slow and was the most useless, ineffectual tackler the proffesional game has ever seen. Coupled with Codner it was enough to drive you to distraction.

When they were on form though...:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

From the 90/91 team I'd take Small, Byrne, Nelson, Wilkins, Pates. If I can go a season or two further back I'd take Gotzmanov too.:bowdown:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here