Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Onset of Old Age

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
Indie and R&B for me....

Maybe, just before your time, I remember the weird and wonderful categories that record shops chose for the different genres. So you had soft rock, hard rock, progressive rock, folk rock, psychedelic rock, jazz rock, blues rock - that covered your “far out, man” brigade - me!

Then you had the more traditional stuff - orchestral, jazz, olde worlde folk, choral etc.

Finally, there was the teeny bop bubblegum shit - the Osmonds, Bay City Rollers and any other excrement that Radio One used to push relentlessly.

Oh, nearly forgot, soul and Motown as well.

Those heady days on bean bags with headphones in Virgin Records by the Clock Tower! :cool:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I owned three RD 350 LCs over the years [1980s] along with two TZ 350s and one TZ 250 - but my most awesome stroker was my ex John Newbold RG 500.

Like you say, these would all fetch a King's ransom nowadays ....

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

What a wet dream of a bike that was in my yoof. Way out of my price range.

Had the old air cooled RD250 back in the day on L plates. Nuts now I think about it.

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Maybe, just before your time, I remember the weird and wonderful categories that record shops chose for the different genres. So you had soft rock, hard rock, progressive rock, folk rock, psychedelic rock, jazz rock, blues rock - that covered your “far out, man” brigade - me!

Then you had the more traditional stuff - orchestral, jazz, olde worlde folk, choral etc.

Finally, there was the teeny bop bubblegum shit - the Osmonds, Bay City Rollers and any other excrement that Radio One used to push relentlessly.

Oh, nearly forgot, soul and Motown as well.

Those heady days on bean bags with headphones in Virgin Records by the Clock Tower! :cool:

The Osmonds could've ruined me for life, but I got passed that :shit:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Lucky bugger, why didn't you keep one? Would have loved a track day on a TZ350, they were everywhere in the 1980's and early 1990's, where have they all gone? ???

You'll know that performance costs, right? Especially in a stroker.
So, for TZs, to keep them buzzing at optimum, replace pistons & rings every 200 miles, barrels & crankshafts every 750 miles. Plus, for weight, frames were designed to be strong in a linier direction but bent quite easily when bounced down the track or kissed the Armco - so, sadly, they fade and die quite quickly / easily ...

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

What a wet dream of a bike that was in my yoof. Way out of my price range.

Had the old air cooled RD250 back in the day on L plates. Nuts now I think about it.

Here she is ...

Defo helped to have a bit a sponsorship to run the beast!

RG 500.jpg

Last edited:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
You'll know that performance costs, right? Especially in a stroker.
So, for TZs, to keep them buzzing at optimum, replace pistons & rings every 200 miles, barrels & crankshafts every 750 miles. Plus, for weight, frames were designed to be strong in a linier direction but bent quite easily when bounced down the track or kiss the Armco - so they fade and die quite quickly / easily ...

I thought most people didn't like the Yam ones and went for Maxton or Spondon Frames?

Given how I ride these days no matter what frame it was in I would be keeping it on the straight & level.

As I said having had loads of road strokers would love to give a TZ350 the proper wizz, I'll bet the back straight at Goodwood would be 150 MPH or so?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I thought most people didn't like the Yam ones and went for Maxton or Spondon Frames?

Given how I ride these days no matter what frame it was in I would be keeping it on the straight & level.

As I said having had loads of road strokers would love to give a TZ350 the proper wizz, I'll bet the back straight at Goodwood would be 150 MPH or so?

Yeah, Maxton & Spondon [and Harris] supplied frames most often to those who had bent their factory original ...

We used to hire Goodwood for testing - whole day was very affordable when shared with 10 mates who wanted a very cheap track-day to wizz round balls-out without any sign of the OB to spoil things - surface was quite abrasive there [same as Thruxton] and the slicks on the TZ would turn to jelly. IIRC, the Goodwood back straight had a slight left-kink in it and you needed a large pair to go through that without "lifting" - not sure on the exact speed, but I think we used Snetterton gearing for Goodwood, so flat in 6th would have been 155-ish.

I've go a photo somewhere of me leaving the line in a cloud of smoke on my TZ at the Brighton Speed Trials in the early 80's - was the year some poor fella lost control of his open-top car after the finish line and despite a roll-cage, was decapitated in the bushes under Duke's Mound. Meeting abandoned ....

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Bless! :D

And I remember when he was just the drummer in Genesis. :facepalm:

I saw him when he was drumming for Genesis.

At least he kept his whiny trap shut back then.

i got on the bus the other day and downstairs was quite full. TWO young ladies got up for me to let me sit down which i thought sweet but then, brain churning considered : a) they think i look THAT old i need a seat.. b) they think i need TWO seats - as most of us ive spread out a bit as ive got older but not that much!.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here