Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ones that got away

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
O/T (slightly) Peter Withe must have had a right downer then a huge upper, leaving Forest only to see them win back to back European Cups 79/80, only to then snatch the league in 1981 from Ipswich on the last day then win the eurpoean cup a year later courtesy of a one two with the post:smile:

Jimbo26

Jan 25, 2007
Portslade Old Village
Trevor Stevens who was at Burnley as a 15 year old was reccomended to the club but the then Chief Scout George Aitken talked Mullery out of chasing it up as he said he was too small and would nevcer make it ion the pro game. He went on to play for Everton, Rangers and Marseilles and of course Engalnd.

Also Mullery was told about a 17 year old player at Blackpool by Peter Suddaby whose wife one of the Nolan sisters , I think it was, lived in Blackpool and had heard a lot about him but Bamber said if he was any good one of the big North West clubs would have been after him Paul Stewart was his name and Malcolm Allison signed him for Man City.
Malcolm Allison had left Man City about 6 years before they signed Paul Stewart :nono::nono:

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
I just have a feeling that all these near misses will become incidental when we sign whoever we get this summer, I have a sneaky feeling that we will pick up a few future Albion legends this summer on our march towards the premiership. We will arrive within 3 or 4 years off the back of this closed seasons signings. That's just the feeling I have. A bit vague I know but believe with me. Also Zamora to be back for our 3rd season at Falmer. No more near misses.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Chris Cattlin decided to go for Justin Fashanu instead, when we already had Saunders and Terry Connor, who were both banging in the goals. Houghton went to Oxford instead I think, and then on to Liverpool for £900,000. Wasn't he at Fulham at the time?

Cattlin signed Fashanu instead of Kevin Drinkell and Colin Clarke who both failed medicals, which Fashanu passed. Something like 115k if my memory serves me correctly. Houghton was going to sign from Fulham for about 50k but the board did not stump up the cash at last minute.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Think BG's getting Stewart mixed up with Michael Robinson, who was signed by Big Mal as a 19 year old in 1979.

No, fairly certain it was Stewart in 1986/7 during Mullery short 2nd spell and he signed for Man City. I think that I got the Man City manager mixed up as it wasnt Allison. Suddaby had retired by then and was living back home in Blackpool with his wife. Possibly could have been Robinson in Mullerys first spell as Suddaby joined us from Blackpool but dont think so. Memory is not quite what it was.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
Barclays Bank are the ones to blame for that.

They wanted a bill of around £50,000 paid and at a creditors meetings asjed BL if he had any offers for any of our players. Mark Lawrenson (then manager at Oxford) had put in a tentative enquiry about Saunders and followed it up with an offer that he fully expected to be the opening bid.

When barclays were told about it, they told lloyd to do the deal and send the cleque straight round to them as payment for the outstanding debt (which is my memory serves me right) was for an instalment payment on a second mortgage taken out on the Goldstone..........

I seem to recall BL using the word "brassic" during our conversation........

Thank you, I didn't know any of that. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here