Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One thing i don't understand about voting....

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
....and it REALLY bugs me: Why do you never have to show proof of identity to vote?

People have fought wars and been prepared to die for the right to vote....... but i can just swan in, give them a form that i received in the post (and i live in communal flats with a communal post box so anyone could have picked that up) and that's it! totally open to fraudulent voting if you ask me :shrug: and "we" have the nerve to be pious about other countries and their corrupt ways!

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
Totally agree.

The whole system is open to corruption.

I have recently moved and have not received a ballot card, despite being on the voters roll.

I went down to the polling booth and gave them my name and address and they, and was given a ballot paper.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Maybe there should be some sort of photo ID?

It was fairly strict at my polling station, checked my election number and address thoroughly but then i do look like someone that would vote for the BNP - not that i ever would!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the system is basically unchanged since there was about 1000 eligable to vote and the returning officer and assistants could probably recognise everyone by face.

it is an oversight these days, though i beleive its relatively free from corruption. postal voting is where the real fraud is being conducted, with some fairly blantant abuses in some areas.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
It is a bit archaic isn't it. Just for instance, say you know your next door neighbour is not going to vote. Nothing to stop you turning up at the polling station, saying this is name and address, I forgot my polling card and voting in their name. Go back later and place your own vote.

King Kong

Feb 24, 2010
It is a bit archaic isn't it. Just for instance, say you know your next door neighbour is not going to vote. Nothing to stop you turning up at the polling station, saying this is name and address, I forgot my polling card and voting in their name. Go back later and place your own vote.

the man speaks from experience

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
We all know the system is archaic. There should be compulsory voting and move the polling day to a Saturday or even hold it over two days to ensure everyone gets the chance to vote. The returning officers have got a lot to answer for. And having ridiculed the US for their scandal in 2000 when Gore won, the boot is now on the other foot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here