Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One Million Londoners Will Live in a Single Tower

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Ladies and gentlemen...I give to you the future of housing in London...

London has to provide housing for a million more people by 2016, taking into account new arrivals, plus old-timers who need an upgrade. Since space is limited, UK company Popularchitecture is proposing a 5,000-foot high tower that would house pretty much everybody all in one shot--and reduce four city neighborhoods to a single cylindrical building. See the whole thing below.

The tower, which at this point remains simply a novel idea, would take up little actual ground space and run like a proper democracy. It is literally broken up into municipal areas--the "neighborhood" is a singe floor of 600; the village is 20 floors and houses 6,000. There are also three super-districts that house 33,000 people each.

Elected reps serve in a local government and have regular meetings to decide what to do with common areas, which would include an ice skating rink, a botanical garden, an open-air theater, and tennis courts.

Circular openings in sections of the tower will provide nature-y parks and gardens for citizens. Five circulation cores with massive elevators--think the Tube, except it goes up and down instead of weaving underground--transport residents from neighborhood to neighborhood. Water and waste will be recycled, and fresh water harvested from the clouds, which pretty much start right around where the tower's peak ends.

Since your workplace, your local movie theater, and all your friends will be in the same building, you'll never have to leave.

How convenient/scary! Images by Popularchitecture

TI-1.gif

TI-2.gif

popularchitecture-the_tower.jpg

TI-5.gif

http://www.popularchitecture.com/supertower/
http://io9.com/371197/one-million-londoners-will-live-in-a-single-tower

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
And if the wind blows straight down the tower it plays London's Burning.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
And if the wind blows straight down the tower it plays London's Burning.

I can't work out if it's a real idea or an early April Fool joke.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
What's it gonna be called? Archer Towers or Bellend Block?

Because it's a fcuking stupid idea. Still, it'll be good for base jumpers and suicide freaks.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Because it's a fcuking stupid idea.

The idea in itself isn't stupid. When London runs out of land the only solution is to build up, like in Manhattan. The same solution could be applied to Brighton (the Marina Tower for starters?). However after 9/11 who would want to live their whole lives 1000s of feet up in the air.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The idea in itself isn't stupid. When London runs out of land the only solution is to build up, like in Manhattan. The same solution could be applied to Brighton (the Marina Tower for starters?). However after 9/11 who would want to live their whole lives 1000s of feet up in the air.

Put all the muslims in it, be safe from attack then.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
I like the look of it but i doubt even if it was approved no-one in this country would put the money forward.

Are we now trying to outdo Dubai towers?

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
:lolol:

Bit windy at the top, I would have thought.

Will there be a football stadium!
T12.gif

The tower is broken up into a hierarchy of municipal areas. The smallest; the neighbourhood occupies a single floor - approximately 600 people, the next; the village covers 20 floors and approximately 6000 people. The tower is finally divided into three super-districts; upper, mid and lower of 33,000 people each.

Circulation
The tower has 5 circulation cores. One of these cores contains the mass vertical transport units. These massive elevators, comparable to a London underground train , carry large numbers of people to the village floors where smaller lifts then take passengers to their individual floors or neighbourhood.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia

I quote from Section 3A.3 of the Mayor of London's London Plan

Maximising the potential of sites
The Mayor will, and boroughs should, ensure that development proposals achieve the maximum intensity of use compatible with local context, the design principles in Policy 4B.1 and with public transport capacity. Boroughs should develop residential density policies in their DPDs in line with this policy and adopt the residential density ranges set out in Table 3A.2 and which are compatible with sustainable residential quality.
(DPDs are Development Plan Documents, which all the London councils have to produce)

I think the plan will be stymied by a lack of tube stations in the sky.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
I used to think 115 Leaders on a Thursday was a tough paper round. I pity the poor sod who has to deliver to that block.

except LOndon has loads of spare land to build on................................it does not need to go upwards........................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here