Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One Game Too Far? Outplayed & Outsung

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Barring the first thirty minutes when we were in full control, this was a desperately disappointing performance.

4 tough games in 10 days and 3 at home seemed to take it out of the players, but also the fans. Considering this is our derby the atmosphere was poor in comparison to Liverpool & Leeds.

Too many of our players seem to have lost form recently. Calderon & Painter at fullback have been nowhere near as secure as last season. Lua Lua doesn't have the same impact at Championship level and defensively his a complete liability.

You can't knock Barnes & CMS goals to game ratio, but they are not a partnership. They play so far away from each other they rarely link and we don't seem to hold the ball up top effectively.

Championship teams are starting to suss us out, they are letting us have the ball around our own box, but start to press once we get around 35 yards away from our own goal. We need to start passing quicker with purpose and a higher tempo, to stop teams from setting and nullifying our attacks.

Despite all the negativity, we shouldn't panic too much. We are still in a decent position and Gus will sort it out.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Barring the first thirty minutes when we were in full control, this was a desperately disappointing performance.

4 tough games in 10 days and 3 at home seemed to take it out of the players, but also the fans. Considering this is our derby the atmosphere was poor in comparison to Liverpool & Leeds.

Too many of our players seem to have lost form recently. Calderon & Painter at fullback have been nowhere near as secure as last season. Lua Lua doesn't have the same impact at Championship level and defensively his a complete liability.

You can't knock Barnes & CMS goals to game ratio, but they are not a partnership. They play so far away from each other they rarely link and we don't seem to hold the ball up top effectively.

Championship teams are starting to suss us out, they are letting us have the ball around our own box, but start to press once we get around 35 yards away from our own goal. We need to start passing quicker with purpose and a higher tempo, to stop teams from setting and nullifying our attacks.

Despite all the negativity, we shouldn't panic too much. We are still in a decent position and Gus will sort it out.

Seems a good summary. I think CMS and Barnes can be a good partnership as they showed v Leeds, but Ash needs to be released from his defensive duties to be able to do that. We're too lightweight in midfield.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Shit night. Being outsung was deplorable. Where were you northstand?

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
Would agree but Calderon didn't play. Think his loss was a big issue on the right. We lacked our usual penetration on that side. Barnes was moved out there early in the second half as we lacked balance. I think we missed him a lot.

guster

Jul 13, 2011
West Stand Lower
I think it all started going downhill the moment Bridcutt got booked. He couldnt fully commit to tackles after that and on more than 1 occasion he had to pull out of a tackle for fear of the red. This gave Palace the control in the midfield and they used it effectively.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
If we had Murray + CMS/Barnes we would be an even better attacking force. At the moment we have almost two poachers up front, and I know both work hard, but this where Murray is good as the target man.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Neither the players nor the singers seemed able to raise their game tonight.

Can we have some bloody Saturday matches back please?

Sep 27, 2011
dont have a pop at the north, i sung all night and now have no voice - everyone can sing in that ground north east and west. I thought we were louder than palace anyway but that doesnt detract from a bad performance - as for leaving early f*ck staying to hear them gloat.......

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Being outsung was deplorable. Where were you northstand?
Didn't seem like we were down near the N/W corner, I barely heard the Palace fans until the last 10 minutes.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Would agree but Calderon didn't play. Think his loss was a big issue on the right. We lacked our usual penetration on that side. Barnes was moved out there early in the second half as we lacked balance. I think we missed him a lot.

Agreed.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Didn't seem like we were down near the N/W corner, I barely heard the Palace fans until the last 10 minutes.

Exactly,they were silent for a lot of the match until they scored.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Shit night. Being outsung was deplorable. Where were you northstand?

Considering this is our derby the atmosphere was poor in comparison to Liverpool & Leeds.

I've had enough of this outsung bollocks. Palace fans were loud and that was good support, yes. But their tickets went to proper fans, all STHs, most of whom had also attended every other away game so far. If they hadn't brought down the full compliment all massively singing I'd have been shocked and wondered if the rivalry was at all reciprocated.

You wait, it'll be the same at Selhurst. We will sell out, and it will be full of STHing away day regulars. The main difference will be that it won't be ALL of the home stands singing as it is here, and there will be empty seats, which is not something they can say about the Amex. Our home support is definitely NOT "f***ing shit" as they were singing.

Paul Skinback

Oct 3, 2009
Exactly,they were silent for a lot of the match until they scored.

Total rubbish, I had to listen to it on the radio as I couldn't get a ticket and the Palace fans sang for almost the whole 94.Even that tosser Clarridge kept on throughtout his crap commentry about them. Stop being so bloody sore and get back to the banter. God forbid but our club will give you lot 6,000 for your visit to Selhurst, you have the chance to sing, and also a chance to make a catalogue OF songs.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Total rubbish, I had to listen to it on the radio as I couldn't get a ticket and the Palace fans sang for almost the whole 94.Even that tosser Clarridge kept on throughtout his crap commentry about them. Stop being so bloody sore and get back to the banter. God forbid but our club will give you lot 6,000 for your visit to Selhurst, you have the chance to sing, and also a chance to make a catalogue OF songs.

The only time Palace were load was after they scored,most of the first half they wern't singing.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Palace were quiet at times, but not as quiet as us. In the main they did out sing us and we have to take it on the chin.

I was in the South East on the 18 yard line, and the worst thing was when we kicked off at start of the second half and the whole of the 1901 area in the West was empty.

Having experienced both, tonight was worse than the 5-0, at least then we had no money and a shit team, and did not expect to win.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here